Notices
Regional - Lonestar OK, TX
View Poll Results: What type of gas are you using?
65.52%
13.79%
6.90%
10.34%
0%
3.45%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

What type of gas are you using?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2005, 04:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default What type of gas are you using?

See the question.
Old 05-23-2005, 06:48 PM
j0n
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScionEyed
SL Member

i use regular gas not the high octane ones ? most the time i go to randalls or walmart but i prefer randalls 3cents off every time i use my card. an its still cheap $1.94 last time i checked unless prices went up.
Old 05-24-2005, 02:11 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

These engines are designed to run on 87 octane. You can use a higher level, but you probably will not see any benefits unless you have a highly modified engine. For the majority of us, we are better off saving our money and buying the cheap stuff.
Old 05-24-2005, 03:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

on another note where in the hell do you u get nething higher than 93 from?
Old 05-24-2005, 03:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

87 for me....
Old 05-24-2005, 03:28 PM
5 Year Member

I use regular. Yesterday I went to Raceway on 45 and dixie farm road and i got regular for $1.89. It is cheap there.
Old 05-24-2005, 03:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I would never put regular in mine and I never have ever pumped regular, just can't do that to my baby. Always plus.
Old 05-24-2005, 03:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by JBHS98
These engines are designed to run on 87 octane. You can use a higher level, but you probably will not see any benefits unless you have a highly modified engine. For the majority of us, we are better off saving our money and buying the cheap stuff.
In the long run you will if you ever have your car for like 100,000 miles. Higher grade=cleaner gas=less deposits and such on your engine.
Old 05-24-2005, 03:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by soldiercontreras
In the long run you will if you ever have your car for like 100,000 miles. Higher grade=cleaner gas=less deposits and such on your engine.
unfortunately, i run plus, but i thought i would see an increase in mpg, but instead saw a decrease! i got more mpg from 87 octane than 89- so much for my theory of better gas = better mpg. and yes, im still driving the same manner, not reckless like id like to.
Old 05-24-2005, 03:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

sorry soldier
the quality of fuel is more important than the octane rating
just because it has less of a tendency to detonate does not mean it sill leave anything cleaner
go to a good fuel station
high volume is good
name brand is good
Quik-E Mart fuel is bad, no matter the octane rating

Texaco\Chevron is probably the cleanest, because they invented the cleaning agent ALL fuel companies add
no matter what they call it, it is Techroline
Old 05-24-2005, 05:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by TXboxdriver
sorry soldier
just because it has less of a tendency to detonate does not mean it sill leave anything cleaner
high volume is good
name brand is good

Texaco\Chevron is probably the cleanest, because they invented the cleaning agent ALL fuel companies add
w3rd

Quality in fuel comes from the manufacturer, not the octane rating. Our cars run better, more effieciently on low 87 octane fuel than on higher octane rating.

You can buy higher octane race gas at some stores, but it is very expensive and it will kill your catalytic converters... So I'd only suggest using it on a boosted motor where you need higher octane, and you're not running cats.

I did run a blend of 105 and 91 octane for a race once because it was so damned hot outside, it ran good with no pinging issues, but it smelled horrible. Probably not a good idea for every day situations. One tank of it won't kill your cats, but mulitple tanks of 100+ octane fuel will set off chemical reactions in your catalytic converters that will destroy their ability to burn the remaining fuel in your exhaust.
Old 05-24-2005, 06:08 PM

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh! Not again with this topic.
Old 05-24-2005, 07:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Digicon
on another note where in the hell do you u get nething higher than 93 from?
there are a few places that sell 95/97/103/105 couple off jensen dr (dont ask me where forgot) one out in sealy i think it was that sells 103/105 and a few other in places in houston you can get 95/97 out in high end areas
Old 05-24-2005, 07:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by cadaver
unfortunately, i run plus, but i thought i would see an increase in mpg, but instead saw a decrease! i got more mpg from 87 octane than 89- so much for my theory of better gas = better mpg. and yes, im still driving the same manner, not reckless like id like to.
i noticed the same the dealer put 87 in and got some decent gas mileage like 330 to the tank or so and now that i have 89 it seems like im gettin less gonna put in 93 next time to check it out to see how i do
Old 05-24-2005, 09:26 PM
j0n
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScionEyed
SL Member

is it me or did the gas price drop? i swear it read 1.89 at wal-mart
Old 05-24-2005, 09:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

California only goes to 91 but I use 87
Old 05-24-2005, 10:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

sorry soldier
high volume is good
name brand is good

Well the quality of fuel is true and that should go without saying, but the lower octane can cause more knocking in the engine. This happens since the gas has more of a chance thof igniting more spontaneously since it can't handle as much as compression as higher octane gases. I forgot some of the details since it has been awhile since I researched it and I am too lazy to look it up again.
Old 05-24-2005, 10:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by DGTLLVR
sorry soldier
high volume is good
name brand is good

w3rd

Quality in fuel comes from the manufacturer, not the octane rating. Our cars run better, more effieciently on low 87 octane fuel than on higher octane rating.

You can buy higher octane race gas at some stores, but it is very expensive and it will kill your catalytic converters... So I'd only suggest using it on a boosted motor where you need higher octane, and you're not running cats.

I did run a blend of 105 and 91 octane for a race once because it was so damned hot outside, it ran good with no pinging issues, but it smelled horrible. Probably not a good idea for every day situations. One tank of it won't kill your cats, but mulitple tanks of 100+ octane fuel will set off chemical reactions in your catalytic converters that will destroy their ability to burn the remaining fuel in your exhaust.
damn 100+ octane, thats like running pure cocaine through your nose..not that I would know, but I assume......
Old 05-24-2005, 10:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scion Evolution

sorry soldier
high volume is good
name brand is good

Well the quality of fuel is true and that should go without saying, but the lower octane can cause more knocking in the engine. This happens since the gas has more of a chance thof igniting more spontaneously since it can't handle as much as compression as higher octane gases. I forgot some of the details since it has been awhile since I researched it and I am too lazy to look it up again.
So, were you having pinging issues?
Old 05-24-2005, 11:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by TheScionicMan
sorry soldier
high volume is good
name brand is good

So, were you having pinging issues?
I wouldn't know I never have ever pumped regular gas in any vehicle I have owned. Only plus or supreme (which I use to pump in my old v8 since I had nitrous in it).

Quick Reply: What type of gas are you using?