Notices
Regional - Mid Atlantic DC, DE, MD, VA, WV

Any help with driving in the snow

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2010, 06:19 AM

Default Any help with driving in the snow

Hey guys. I'm live in the DC area and was wondering are you suffering in this snow? It's not so bad now but I still remember how bad it was last year. I'm in an 08 tC. The weather isn't that bad right now so I was wondering if there is any advice for any modification that can help me drive with ease through slippery of snow. I was thinking of getting some snow tires but I don't know what would be best to get. Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks
Old 12-18-2010, 07:03 AM
SL Member

Studs and driving school.
Old 12-18-2010, 12:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

snow tires are your best friend.
Old 12-18-2010, 02:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Check out tirerack.com they have a bunch of winter tires, or try discounttiredirect.com they both do price matching as well
Old 12-19-2010, 01:59 PM

Thanks RyanstC I'll check it out.
Old 12-19-2010, 03:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Neitocus
Thanks RyanstC I'll check it out.
No prob!
Old 12-22-2010, 04:57 AM

just take it down an empty road or lot like i do and let it rip! i practice snow driving by playing with the handbrake in empty lots and stuff. cops wont fine you as long as you are in a public lot. just tell them you are trying to learn how to handle your vehicle in the snow so you can avoid accidents.
Old 12-22-2010, 08:44 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

No need for snow tires in this area, yes it gets snow, but nothing to get snow tires about. Best advice is to slow down, brake sooner, pump the brakes when you do brake, and take off slow.
Old 12-22-2010, 02:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by Spicy_McHaggiz
No need for snow tires in this area, yes it gets snow, but nothing to get snow tires about. Best advice is to slow down, brake sooner, pump the brakes when you do brake, and take off slow.
GREAT advice! yeah i made that mistake last year when we had that big snowfall. i forgot to pump my brakes
Old 12-22-2010, 07:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by lyricalmind24
GREAT advice! yeah i made that mistake last year when we had that big snowfall. i forgot to pump my brakes
Being from Illinois can come in handy sometimes!
Old 12-22-2010, 09:13 PM
SL Member

agreed, really really good advice.
Old 12-22-2010, 09:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Big Sky Scion
Scikotics
SL Member

been driving for 10 years in the bad montana winters and have NEVER needed or wanted snow tires. I love snow driving.

my biggest advice is just to slow everything down.
Old 12-24-2010, 05:35 PM

When I pump my tires should I be stomping or just like I'm about to break over and over again?
Old 12-24-2010, 05:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
SL Member

+ Don't tailgate ...

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk
Old 12-26-2010, 04:58 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Neitocus
When I pump my tires should I be stomping or just like I'm about to break over and over again?
Pump the tires? lol

Be easy on it, just keep braking "over and over again". Goto the floor, let it come up, re-apply. Repeat.
Old 12-27-2010, 01:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

In general let some air out of the tires. You want them a little underinflated so they spead out wider. The above is good info. Basically try to drift vs stay in the lines and plan your attack out. Test your brakes before you need to stop to get a feel for them. I try to stop a spot ahead of the car in front of me, then creep up to them.

If you got a stick shift try taking off in 2nd or third to help reduce wheel spin at start up. You should haved ABS, in that case just ride the brake.
Old 12-27-2010, 10:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

If you really want new tires, I reccomend Hankook IceBears. They do great as my winter set and don't break the bank!

But as stated before- better driving is the best solution!
Old 12-27-2010, 10:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by cobb
In general let some air out of the tires. You want them a little underinflated so they spead out wider. The above is good info. Basically try to drift vs stay in the lines and plan your attack out. Test your brakes before you need to stop to get a feel for them. I try to stop a spot ahead of the car in front of me, then creep up to them.

If you got a stick shift try taking off in 2nd or third to help reduce wheel spin at start up. You should haved ABS, in that case just ride the brake.
Abs scared me the first time. Had a jeep that was very old school before the tc...thought something broke off and I was grinding on the rotor because of the weird vibration and feeling it makes
Old 12-27-2010, 10:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

really isn't that hard to drive in the snow with a tC. just drive slow and anticipate that you have a good chance of sliding while doing anything, be it accelerating, braking or turning.

if you have a decent set of all season tires you'll do fine.i got around last year in the snow with all season tires and 300 whp.

actually, the only other upgrade i have that helps with traction is an LSD. but that is very expensive upgrade.
Old 01-12-2011, 05:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

New tires. Of course you need to modify your driving habits on slippery surfaces like snow, slush and ice but tires can make a huge difference. Have you checked your tires lately? How much tread is left? Are they rated M&S? Snow tires are great on snow, etc. but not really needed here in the MA region. However there are certain all-season tires that outperform most others on snow yet are still excellent on wet or dry roads all year. Check out Continental DWS Extreme Contact tires if you need new tires and want all-season tires that work very well in snow. Nokian also makes excellent all-season tires designed and rated for winter/snow use.

Quick Reply: Any help with driving in the snow