Notices
Regional - North MN, ND, SD

CAI in MN - good or bad idea?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2010, 07:35 PM

Default CAI in MN - good or bad idea?

ok from what i understand is that when you install a CAI, you cut a hole in your wheel well where the filter cone would be. so, would this be a good idea for MN weather or not?
Old 04-02-2010, 10:45 PM

Why would you cut a hole in the wheel well? I've had a cai for 2 years now no problems really
Old 04-04-2010, 02:35 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i dont have a tc but i have not heard of any one needing to cut either... my CAI for the gen one xb with my lowering spring is literally INCHES away formt he ground and i have had not problems for about two years now... just avoid puddles on that sid eof the car and i have also been told not to run your air when in a car wash so i dont

-Josh
www.scinsationalscions.tk
Old 04-05-2010, 08:20 PM

well a guy at my work said to cut a hole in the wheel well. keep in mind i know nothing about modding. my last car was a 97 bonneville so you think i would mod that? lol
Old 04-06-2010, 04:38 AM

Originally Posted by Flecs
i dont have a tc but i have not heard of any one needing to cut either... my CAI for the gen one xb with my lowering spring is literally INCHES away formt he ground and i have had not problems for about two years now... just avoid puddles on that sid eof the car and i have also been told not to run your air when in a car wash so i dont

-Josh
www.scinsationalscions.tk
Don't run air in a carwash? Intake for your engine and intake for your A/C are completely separate. Intake for HVAC systems are typically between your hood and windshield and water won't affect its purpose. Think about our cars being driven through pouring rain, you do not have to turn off your air when doing so.
Old 04-06-2010, 01:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

true. like i said just sumptin i heard
Old 04-06-2010, 07:05 PM

so where does the cone end up? behind your rim?
Old 04-09-2010, 03:25 AM

The filter element will be between your left tire and front bumper cover. Basically below that fusebox that you see in your engine bay behind the headlight. It'll be enclosed in the area guarded by the splash shield.
Old 04-09-2010, 03:35 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

noooooooooooooooooooo cutting the scion , unless it would be sweeeeet . Im thinkn the same for my box's cai . I dont see nuttn wrong as long as you take into account the way water would sparay in . maybe offset to the side or layers of steel screen mesh
Old 04-09-2010, 03:37 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I would think the diff between stock and new cai that cuttn would not make a real diff other than lookn koo to have a air scoop to show off . wich im thinkn bout
Old 04-09-2010, 08:55 AM

Could someone translate the last 2 posts into English?
Old 04-10-2010, 12:31 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

I have an xB2 and just put in a TRD CAI(SPARKS Toyota)--it comes with a replacement bumper grill inlet for ram air direct into the filter box. No cutting, very good look, plus the performance improvement. Under normal driving no noise difference from stock, but if you jump on it, sounds like a 60's muscle car with a big 4bbl and velocity stack!
Old 04-10-2010, 04:02 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Do they make something like that for the "o.b." (original box)?
Old 04-10-2010, 04:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by geenius
Could someone translate the last 2 posts into English?

I can:

"I was never taught to read or write, but I learned myself by visiting web forums" ... :D

No, you dont cut the wheel well, and that would be a poor choice if you did. You remove the wheel well to install it, then put it back in. Some say you have to remove the bumper, but I have installed and removed one on the tC and never even thought about removing the bumper.

As far as hydrolock, you should be ok unless you drive into deep water, which you should avoid anyways. The filter ends up about 8 inches or so lower than the top of the fender line.

And there is NO performance improvement you will ever notice on the tC. On the one I installed and later removed (K&N) there was no noticeable difference either way. If anything, there was a very small improvement in fuel economy when going back to stock and power was the same. The loud noise simply fools peoples butt dynos ;) ... that and believing advertising hype. So if it really will always be worrying you, dont do it for the power. It is just a looks/sound thing. They do sound pretty good.
Old 04-11-2010, 01:53 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I was talking about (not even considering , just pondering)about a scoop for the bumper in front of the intake . Not the wheel well . I would think the guard under there is necessary .
Old 04-13-2010, 12:34 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

I don't see a problem, really, but I like the extra safety of either a bypass valve like AEM's, or just sticking with a short ram.

I know some idiot kid in my old high school that fried a whole engine wiht a stupid CAI, not paying any attention.

It's rare, but it happens.
Old 04-13-2010, 12:36 PM

i think i'm going to put one on but first, this thing NEEDS to be lowered.
Old 04-24-2010, 12:55 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

^^ links in your sig selling stuff, and this being your first post will probably get some attention from the mods.
Old 04-24-2010, 04:04 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

How can you think lowering you car WON'T help handling ? lower your center of gravity the more stable you will be . I don't know as much as a lot of people on here about cars , but I do know , the lower you are the harder to flip you are .
Old 04-24-2010, 04:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Nope. Lowering a car too much HURTS handling. That is the most common misconception in the enthusiast world. A slammed car has crap for handling.

All the angles in your suspension (Aka the suspension geometry) are set up for the way the car sits stock. If you lower too much, you throw that out of whack and can actually degrade handling. There is WAY more to it than the CG. The roll center moves as you lower, sometimes in the direction you are not expecting on a macpherson strut setup.

So yes, lowering can improve handling, but only if you dont lower too far (which is much less than most lower on the tC). So you cant make a blanket statement like that.

And if you are referring to the bottom of my post.. that would be my sig, which was making fun of an idiot that posted on here a long while back.

Quick Reply: CAI in MN - good or bad idea?