Regional - Northeast: NYC Metro New York City Metropolitan Area

Ticket question (NY)

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2008, 06:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Ticket question (NY)

I got a speeding ticket about two weeks ago and im about to mail it in, I was going 73 in a 40 (apparently 40 is the limit on bridges ) on the 30th so you know the cop was just being a man organ and filling his quota. I was basically just going with the flow of traffic and he happened to catch me. My friend got caught speeding and he sent in his ticket pleading not guilty, then he pleaded guilty and had a plea bargain in court. Should I try to do the same? Or should I just plead guilty, pay the fine, and get the 6 points. What kind of options do I have?

I also have a ticket from wayyy back in the summertime which I lost. I have no received anything in the mail regarding a "late" ticket fee or anything like I have in the past (had to pay an extra $10). This time I have not received anything. Does this mean my ticket has been dismissed?
Old 12-13-2008, 06:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

it prolly means youre goin to jail
Old 12-13-2008, 07:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

ehh..I hate the police here in NY. But doing 30 over is not good. I would probably plead guilty unless you have evidence of his wrong doing. You may be able to argue you were just going with the flow of traffic. Where in NY are you located?
Old 12-13-2008, 07:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

You lost the ticket the cop gave you? I know some courts are backed up with tickets and everything, so it may take a while for them to find out you never sent it in and then contact you about your license getting suspended then you have to go to court and either fight it or pay it.

I just went through this the other day I forgot to pay a ticket fine back in 07 and they just got back to me two weeks ago about my license getting suspended if I didn't pay the fine.

ALso, where in NY did you get the tickets at? Was it by a State Trooper or a local cop?
Old 12-13-2008, 07:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yeah I was thinking of saying flow of traffic when I actually appear in court, but the question is what am I gonna say (guilty or not guilty) on the ticket when I mail it. Also I cant find the ticket on the DMV website, I just paid off my tint ticket on the website but I cant even find my speeding violation, theres no recrod of it.

Local cop, one violation was a parking violation (the summer one I was refferring to) and that was on 42nd streetm the other violation (speeding) was in queens right off the triboro.
Old 12-13-2008, 07:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

if it was a parking ticket I really wouldn't worry about it, people get them all the time and don't pay it for years.

If I were you I would plead not guilty and state your case about going with the flow of traffic and see if the cop shows up to court date or not. If he does not show up the ticket gets dismissed. It is worth a shot, I do it all the time, just not with tint tickets. I just pay them here in NY.
Old 12-13-2008, 07:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

All I can say is that you're damn luck your tC wasn't impounded. Out here in Cali, going 20 over the speed
limit gets you 'wreck less driving' and a friendly tow to the impound. Do the smart thing and CALL on Mon.
to clear up your (previous) situation(s). You don't want to be known as "5PieceNuggets" in the slammer
do you?
Old 12-13-2008, 07:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^ Haha, yeah I will call on Monday about my previous ticket, although theres no contact number on the ticket -__-

Today (13th) is my last day to send in the speeding ticket, so I rather not wait til Monday. I guess ill plead not guilty and try to fight it.
Old 12-13-2008, 07:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Going with the traffic flow is not an excuse. Just because they're idiots for speeding doesn't give you any rights to speed. I tried that before, it didn't work. I know it sucks...It happened to me on the freeway...seriously who goes 60-65 on the freeway...

EDIT: Also, if you plead not guilty and then end up losing the case, you'll more likely pay the full price for the ticket. Where as you can just plead guilty, do traffic school, and hope the judge lowers the fine.
Old 12-13-2008, 07:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

you could only go 40 on bridges ??

lol i need to go find me a bridge
Old 12-13-2008, 09:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Don't plead guilty. When they give you a court date you can go and speak with the officer before you go in and ask him POLITELY if he can cut it down. 9 out of 10 times they will. 6 points will make your insurance sky rocket. Good luck
Old 12-13-2008, 09:44 PM
AC
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i was caught driving 22 over the limit. i plead not guilty and when i received my paper for the court date i called 2 weeks before the date and postponed it to a later date. a few weeks before the second date, they postponed it. then a few weeks before the third date they just dismissed the ticket. maybe you could try what i did and get lucky or try hiring a lawyer.

if you plead guilty and just pay the fine then you're going to have to pay the ticket plus additional fines because of the driver responsibility assessment program. if you receive 6 points within an 18 month period i think you pay $100/yr for 3 years. for more points i believe its an additional $25/point.

fyi i'm not sure about your ticket but my hearing was at my local traffic violations bureau (it says tvb on the envolope you receive for the hearing). if i had gone to the hearing there is no bargaining with the tvb, there is no pleading guilty with a lower fine/ less points.

hope this helped
Old 12-13-2008, 10:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You should of just got a continuance if you weren't ready for your court date. They simply just push it back one month. Going straight in and paying for it is the worst thing you can do. You might be down in cash temporarily from attorny fees but it's better than having high insurance for quite some time.

I'm not sure what each state goes by but here you can just pay double the fine and it gets wiped off your record, no hassles, no bs. As long as they get their monies, they're happy.
Old 12-15-2008, 04:06 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You may want to speak with the cop first and be polite