Notices
Regional - Pacific Mid CA, NV

California Law?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2010, 08:04 PM
SL Member

Default California Law?

Its regional so thought id ask here. Whats the law for smoking tail lights? Like what percentage of light is street legal? Any help would be appreciated!
Old 01-21-2010, 08:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

It's CA... so probably nothing is legal.
Old 01-21-2010, 08:08 PM

10 Year Member

5 Year Member

SoCal tC Club
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scinergy
Scion Evolution

yea.. it's illegal to put on anything.. except for like.. clear.. 100% if what it is stock..

it's kinda like front window tint at that point... if the officer cares enough.. you're screwed.
so.. obviously not really dark.
Old 01-21-2010, 08:18 PM
SL Member

Funny cuz i see smoked tails ALL the time. My buddy has a miata and there smoked, but he did his himself.
Old 01-21-2010, 08:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Just because people do it, does not mean that it's legal. If you want to risk getting caught, then go ahead and tint your tails. If you want to stay legal, than don't. Simple as that.
Old 01-21-2010, 08:34 PM
SL Member

Alright thanks guys! Guess ill stick with the ebay ones it came with lol
Old 01-21-2010, 08:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You go to UCLA?
Old 01-21-2010, 09:13 PM
SL Member

No but i was thinking about transferring there when i made the account lol
Old 01-21-2010, 10:48 PM
SL Member

depends what area u at.. like san jose cops not really care. i saw there was a sti stopped at the red light next to SJPD. the sti is super loud super low, tinted window..etc...
nothing happen.

but for example in Cupertino which is Santa Clara County Sheriff..they bored as hell, they will come to you every little pieces you do to your car, like hid, exhaust, header..bahbahbah.

on your choice.
Old 01-22-2010, 06:37 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

Originally Posted by ack154
It's CA... so probably nothing is legal.
tailights must be visible when lit from I believe 1,000 feet.

good joke though I love how everyone talks massive crap about cali.....
Old 01-26-2010, 07:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

Any tint is illegal. I've had two shades in the past year on my IS300. One was obviously too dark, so I wasn't surprised getting cited. The second time was a high percentage so you can barely tell it was tinted, but I've must of had some bad luck with a CHP still citing me for it. lol

If you're brave enough, then go ahead with it. Just be aware a lot of areas don't care, while others will pester you about it.

People who run tint all the time would usually just pay the fine for it rather then removing it. I have a tint hookup so I pretty much can take the loss of removing it.

You're better off with some blacked out housing tails from ebay than tinting the actual lense.
Old 01-27-2010, 05:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

as far as CVC is concerned it's all about how visible it is from a certain distance.

A LOT of officers just write tickets any way they want.
Old 01-27-2010, 06:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

smoked taillights are not legal in CA. My friends have gotten tickets for it.

However, you can now have tinted windows on front driver/passenger side windows as long as you have a doctor's note saying you have some sort of skin condition that requires you to have tinted window to prevent getting skin cancer or some sort. lol
Old 01-27-2010, 07:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by hotbox05
tailights must be visible when lit from I believe 1,000 feet.

good joke though I love how everyone talks massive crap about cali.....
It's just so easy to make.

I've honestly never been to CA though. Would love to visit some day though. It's just... so far away from NY.
Old 01-27-2010, 07:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

Originally Posted by caliban
smoked taillights are not legal in CA. My friends have gotten tickets for it.

However, you can now have tinted windows on front driver/passenger side windows as long as you have a doctor's note saying you have some sort of skin condition that requires you to have tinted window to prevent getting skin cancer or some sort. lol

I don't know HOW many times I have to say this...... JUST BECAUSE YOU KNOW SOMEONE OR YOU HAVE GOTTEN A TICKET FOR SOMETHING DOES NOT MEAN THE COP KNEW THE LAW OR READ/CITED IT CORRECTLY!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-27-2010, 11:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scion Apocalypse
SL Member

Taillamps

CA Vehicle Code 24600

24600. During darkness every motor vehicle which is not in combination with any other vehicle and every vehicle at the end of a combination of vehicles shall be equipped with lighted taillamps mounted on the rear as follows:
(a) Every vehicle shall be equipped with one or more taillamps.
(b) Every vehicle, other than a motorcycle, manufactured and first registered on or after January 1, 1958, shall be equipped with not less than two taillamps, except that trailers and semitrailers manufactured after July 23, 1973, which are less than 30 inches wide, may be equipped with one taillamp which shall be mounted at or near the vertical centerline of the vehicles. If a vehicle is equipped with two taillamps, they shall be mounted as specified in subdivision (d).
(c) Every vehicle or vehicle at the end of a combination of vehicles, subject to subdivision (a) of Section 22406 shall be equipped with not less than two taillamps.
(d) When two taillamps are required, at least one shall be mounted at the left and one at the right side respectively at the same level.
(e) Taillamps shall be red in color and shall be plainly visible from all distances within 500 feet to the rear except that taillamps on vehicles manufactured after January 1, 1969, shall be plainly visible from all distances within 1,000 feet to the rear.
(f) Taillamps on vehicles manufactured on or after January 1, 1969, shall be mounted not lower than 15 inches nor higher than 72 inches, except that a tow truck, in addition to being equipped with the required taillamps, may also be equipped with two taillamps which may be mounted not lower than 15 inches nor higher than the maximum allowable vehicle height and as far forward as the rearmost portion of the driver's seat in the rearmost position. The additional taillamps on a tow truck shall be lighted whenever the headlamps are lighted.

Amended Ch. 924, Stats. 1988. Effective January 1, 1989.
Old 01-27-2010, 11:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scion Apocalypse
SL Member

Originally Posted by caliban
you can now have tinted windows on front driver/passenger side windows as long as you have a doctor's note saying you have some sort of skin condition that requires you to have tinted window to prevent getting skin cancer or some sort. lol
Sun Screening Devices: Requirements

26708.2. Sun screening devices permitted by paragraph (10) of subdivision (b) of Section 26708 shall meet the following requirements:
(a) The devices shall be held in place by means allowing ready removal from the window area, such as a frame, a rigid material with temporary fasteners, or a flexible roller shade.
(b) Devices utilizing transparent material shall be green, gray, or a neutral smoke in color and shall have a luminous transmittance of not less than 35 percent.
(c) Devices utilizing nontransparent louvers or other alternating patterns of opaque and open sections shall have an essentially uniform pattern over the entire surface, except for framing and supports. At least 35 percent of the device area shall be open and no individual louver or opaque section shall have a projected vertical dimension exceeding 3/16 inch.
(d) The devices shall not have a reflective quality exceeding 35 percent on either the inner or outer surface.

Added Ch. 74, Stats. 1984. Effective January 1, 1985.
Old 01-27-2010, 11:56 PM

10 Year Member

5 Year Member

SoCal tC Club
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scinergy
Scion Evolution

doctor's note is stupid.. and i have yet to see it stand up in court.

then again.. people that tint for "medical conditions" always tint it darker than they are really allowed.. thinking that their note is a free pass.
Old 01-30-2010, 04:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

Originally Posted by SquallLHeart

then again.. people that tint for "medical conditions" always tint it darker than they are really allowed.. thinking that their note is a free pass.

the doctor's write it like a prescription like medical marijuana, ha ha

debris's wife was going to get it.

you can get if simply from bright sunlight giving you headaches or straining your eyes beyond "normal"
Old 01-30-2010, 05:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by SquallLHeart

Exactly. Adding just a 50% tint level to the front door glass of the 2nd-Gen xB's already lightly tinted factory glass brings the luminous transmittance down to just over 36%. That's all you can do legally with a "doctor's note/prescription" (see vehicle code section below that was already posted earlier in this thread).

Originally Posted by bearcave
Sun Screening Devices: Requirements

26708.2. Sun screening devices permitted by paragraph (10) of subdivision (b) of Section 26708 shall meet the following requirements:

(b) Devices utilizing transparent material shall be green, gray, or a neutral smoke in color and shall have a luminous transmittance of not less than 35 percent.

Quick Reply: California Law?