Regional - Pacific Mid CA, NV

Nor Cal Renaissance Faire Sept 8th - Oct 14th

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2007, 05:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Nor Cal Renaissance Faire Sept 8th - Oct 14th

Ok this isn't your typical Scion meet.. actually it isn't one at all. I know there are a few of us who went last year.. and I fully well plan on doing it again this year. I wanted to share this info with everyone, and thought it would be a blast to get a big group of us down there in our Scions and all dressed up and have a blast! (For those who don't own costumes, they do rent them there for a reasonable rate.. I believe mine last year was only $40)

This year though I am planning on working the event.. I had such a blast meeting people who attended and worked the event last year that I knew I wanted to be a bigger part of it. Thankfully I am in the position to do so before needing to go back to a "normal" job. LOL

So here is all the info the website has so far... and if anyone else is interested in working the event .. the days you go to sign up and talk to the vendors are August 18th, 19th, 25th and 26th. I know that the first 2 dates are during Monterey Historics.. and really it isn't a big deal as the Ren Faire is held in Hollister and Monterey isn't a far drive from there at all. Though keep in mind if you do decide you want to work the event, you work it EVERY weekend that this runs.. for whomever you decide to work for. There may be some exceptions but this is how it was described to me.

http://www.norcalrenfaire.org/index.html

Pageantry, Revelry and Romance

Returns to Casa de Fruita

Open Weekends

September 8th through October 14th, 2007

10:00 am - 6:00 pm

featuring:
The Knights of Avalon Full Contact Jousting Troup

Our talented cast of diverse characters will come alive to delight our patrons once more, along with exciting new acts. Gossiping washerwomen, bellowing town criers, mischievous fools and swashbuckling sword fighters fill the street with color and merriment bringing our magical Renaissance village to life.

GENERAL ADMISSION:
Adult Tickets: $25.00
Child Tickets (under 12): $10.00
Weekend Tickets: $35.00

FAIREVER PASS:
Unlimited 12- Day Access: $150.00

2007 Tickets available online NOW

Buy your tickets online and print then go straight to the gate:

• No waiting in line at will-call
• Transactions are secure and encrypted
• Tickets can be transferred by email
• Lost tickets can be reissued

Use the discount promotion code "renaissance" for the $5 online discount
(does not apply to the Weekend Ticket). This code expires September 1st. Valid on Adult Tickets Only.

Now here is the info on working the event... you can participate in the Marketplace (working for a vendor) or participate in entertainment..

Marketplace info: http://www.norcalrenfaire.org/partic...arketplace.asp

For those seeking part time work or a fun volunteer position, the faire has many opportunities within the variety of vendors that sell their wares in our Marketplace. Whether it’s a gaming booth such as Archery or Axe Throw, or a food booth selling turkey legs or ice cream or an artisan booth selling their hand crafted jewelry, clothing, or leather goods to name just a few, our vendors are always looking for good help. Marketplace is the foundation of the faire and the business of selling these wares is a major part of our festive and entertaining atmosphere. All the world is a stage at faire so Marketplace workers participate in the recreation of an Elizabethan Market faire with their costuming and language and customer interaction, just like the actors.

The terms of paid employment or volunteer work vary with each vendor. After applying through a general company database, applicants may speak with different booth owners to find a position that works for both of you. There are many different options that can be negotiated with the booth owners.

When, Where and How to Apply

Marketplace will conduct their annual ‘hiring day” and “job fair” on Saturday August 18th on the faire site. Interested applicants should come to the faire site and register their general information. Certain booth owners and marketplace personnel will be on hand for general screenings. The terms of employment vary with each vendor. Applicants may speak with a variety of booth owners to find a suitable placement. There are many different options that can be negotiated with the booth owners. If you cannot attend on the 18th, you may still come to the faire site on the 19th, 25th and 26th and apply to booth owners directly.

All workers must adhere to the general Rules of Play and costume guidelines provided by Play Faire management. These rules and guidelines are enforced throughout the run of faire and are considered a condition of employment or volunteer status.

The Rules of Play Workshop should be attended by all new marketplace workers and will explain the costume guidelines and general information. Depending upon the booth, the owner may request or require applicants to attend other available workshops. The workshops are free, casual and roughly one hour long. A complete schedule will be listed below.

Entertainment Info: http://www.norcalrenfaire.org/partic...ertainment.asp

Our constantly expanding Entertainment Department boasts over 600 performers that bring our streets and stages to life each weekend. The department has a few different options for joining.

All participants must adhere to costume guidelines designated by the management. Workshops are provided free of charge and are required to join. They are informal, fun and brief. These workshops will guide prospective performers on appropriate costuming, the language of the time and a variety of subjects that will prepare people for participation.

Guilds

Theatrically, the guilds make up the different types of villagers living in Willingtown and the characters that would be found visiting the town for the annual Market Faire. The peasants, middle class, constables and washer women are a few of the types that would reside in Willingtown. The Queen’s courtiers, guardsmen and military are groups that would be visiting. Most of these guilds accept new members each year through simple informal auditions and interviews. All guild members attend workshops. Guild recruitment starts on registration day. The registration and workshop process will be explained below.

Theme Characters

Actors audition or are appointed to specific roles that make up the leading historical characters of the time, such as Queen Elizabeth, William Shakespeare or Sir Francis Drake. They also portray the local prominent townsfolk such as the Mayor, the Sheriff and their families. When and if any roles are open, auditions will be posted on the web site in this section.

Contracted Stage Acts

Most Stage Shows are contracted circuit acts that perform a specified number of weekends. These acts are generally hired several months in advance prior to the season. Stage Acts interested in applying should contact the Entertainment Director at Entertainment@NorcalRenFaire.com starting in January. All stage acts have been booked for the 2007 season.

Entertainment Workshops and Registration

All perspective performers must register and attend a specified number of workshops in order to participate. Registration begins with a general meeting held at 9:00AM sharp on Saturday August 11th at the large Royal Garden Stage on the faire site. Workshops will begin that day and continue on August 12th, 18th, 19th with limited classes on the 25th. We recommend that you wear comfortable clothes and good walking shoes. Bring a lawn chair or other portable seating, pack a lunch and sunscreen. On select weekends sandwiches and snacks are available to purchase on site.

First time registrants will be guided through the required classes and process at registration. Participants must register in person at the faire site. If you are unable to attend on the 11th, Entertainment applicants may still register on the 12th, 18th and 19th. After Applicants register, attend the required workshops, and have their costume approved, a pass will be issued to participate.
Old 07-31-2007, 07:30 PM
5 Year Member
Scikotics

You should work at pendragon! Because then you can help me pick out a costume!!!!!
Old 07-31-2007, 09:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yup.. that place was awesome. We'll see though.. there are alot of vendors to choose from. I'll go work for the highest paying one. Not that I expect any of them pay very much at all.
Old 08-01-2007, 06:09 AM
Scikotics

I have not been to one of these in so long. ( damn I am old) Too much fun! We want to go so bad but, I just checked into costumes and they are a little prcey for the ones we like. We will try to go to this event. Any good places to get good quality ren costumes for cheap?
Old 08-01-2007, 02:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

They have ones you can rent at the Faire! I did that last year for my first visit.. then ended up buying a costume on my next one. *cough not cheap cough* I think I rented mine for like $40!
Old 08-03-2007, 08:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

I like the turkey drumsticks.

Why can't I get those at Boston Market or KFC?
Old 08-04-2007, 06:46 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I can't believe how HUGE they are... I was shocked the first time I saw them. Mmmmmm their baked potatoes are excellent though.
Old 08-08-2007, 12:50 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by etli
I like the turkey drumsticks.

Why can't I get those at Boston Market or KFC?
That would be funny if I thought Ed was joking...