Notices
Regional - Pacific Northwest
ID, OR, WA

Emissions!?!?!

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2011, 08:12 PM
SL Member

Default Emissions!?!?!

Okay, so im origianlly from michigan and havent ever had to worry about this emissions crap. What can i get away with as far as washington? For example, if I eliminate a cat. will I still be able to pass the emissions test? Am I allowed to eliminate a cat? I dont know the laws here as far as emissions.
Old 02-09-2011, 10:12 PM
SL Member

From my understanding you must have at least one cat on your exhaust system.. you arent allowed to remove a cat, i think theres a starting year for this rule but im not sure? If i were you i'd check washington state emissions website. (http://emissiontestwa.com/e/index.aspx) They are really strict about emissions here.... if you dont pass you dont get to renew your tabs.
Old 02-09-2011, 11:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scion Evolution

as long as you dont have any check engine lights on (and havent reset them, say with in 1-2 weeks prior to testing) you should probly pass them. they hook up to your ecu, pull codes and see if any lights on before and after start up...
Old 02-09-2011, 11:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Balliztik
SL Member

The year of vehicle that would not be required to have a cat is 1971 and older.......now with that said it is cars 25 years old that no longer need to do emissions,so a car that is 1986 or older will not need to do emissions.....but would still need legally to have a cat installed.

Basically they will hook up to your OBDII port and run the test,not sure if they still have you hold car at 3000rpm on the dyno wheel anymore or just the computer diagnostic.

But they will look for engine codes to come up and if any do for motor,or exhaust system they fail you.

Some things that will cause a code on a tC is changing the header,we have found that using the L pipe from Weapon R does in deed trick the computer sensor and keeps it from giving a code.

As far as a cat delete.....why....it is not gonna give any more power,and car stinks like sulfer in many cases if fuel is not fully burned.....now I can suggest using a high flow cat if you feel it is needed from magnaflow or other good manufacture.

Hope that helps ya a bit more......be glad you did not move to Cali.....they can impound the car there for not being stock under the hood motor and exhaust wise.

I have even heard that on cars with tire sensors if they are showing them not working it fails the emission test.....but not had that confirmed yet by anyone.I will probably be the first to confirm it lol........

Now as far as exhaust from cat back,you can do pretty much anything as long as the exhaust goes beyond the passenger compartment.....keeps people from dying from CO poisoning.....

Good questions man....keep them coming.....
Old 02-10-2011, 02:14 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by sykotik616
Okay, so im origianlly from michigan and havent ever had to worry about this emissions crap. What can i get away with as far as washington? For example, if I eliminate a cat. will I still be able to pass the emissions test? Am I allowed to eliminate a cat? I dont know the laws here as far as emissions.
U told me u got ur tc brand new 2010 right? Ur next emission test will be same as mine, 4 years later. As long as u don't have a CEL, u will pass the emission test! No worries dude!
Old 02-10-2011, 04:30 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Balliztik
SL Member

oh 2010....yeah you got till like 2014...hell the world will be gone by then...no worries.....giggle...
Old 02-10-2011, 05:07 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^ haha, yeh, bet the end of the world will be next yr lol
Old 02-10-2011, 03:55 PM
SL Member

Originally Posted by BZinn1
As far as a cat delete.....why....it is not gonna give any more power,and car stinks like sulfer in many cases if fuel is not fully burned.....now I can suggest using a high flow cat if you feel it is needed from magnaflow or other good manufacture......
Its not that I wanted to delete a cat, but when I took the exhuast manifold off and put the DC header on there was no choice but to remove the cat. right? Our car has 2, one on the exhaust manifold and one on the midpipe? I just dont wanna be messed up and sound stupid.

And thank you everyone for the info, im glad you all are so helpful. Hopefully I will see a bunch of you at this friday meet in tacoma.
Old 02-10-2011, 11:01 PM
SL Member

you should be fine leaving the back one on there and just removing the one at the header...as long as you have one or the other you should be alright.
Old 02-11-2011, 05:48 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

if u hv a full exhaust, and sound raspy. 1 Resonator or 2 will help, and sound good.
Old 02-12-2011, 12:20 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You will be fine just don't move to California where my 7 mo old 2010 Rav4 with 50 state emissions requires a check before I can switch my registration over. Washington in comparison was a piece of cake they do not do a visual inspection like California either so intake and other mods can still pass.
Old 02-13-2011, 08:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Balliztik
SL Member

The one in the header removed will effect the sensors,this is why on the header you will need the L pipe to trick the sensor to think it is still astock header.

the second cat can be left,that is what most of us have done,Larry has removed his and replaced with a high flow one.....just a note....most shops will not change out your cat due to federal regulations,that state the cat must be faulty to remove and replace...but you should be able to find a shop no problem that will change it out for you.

Biggest issue your gonna face with header is Rasp....it will sound like a lawnmover on crack.....you will need to have the stock resonator removed from midpipe and replaced with an aftermarket one....I used 2 12" thrush resonators and car sounded beautiful.

As far as a sniff test,which I dont think they do to OBDII cars you should be fine as all the sensors will be saying no errors.
Old 02-14-2011, 04:07 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

No sniff test or dyno run. I had my 2005 ran through emissions yesterday. Just plug in, pass, and go.
Old 02-14-2011, 06:37 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by BZinn1
The one in the header removed will effect the sensors,this is why on the header you will need the L pipe to trick the sensor to think it is still astock header.

the second cat can be left,that is what most of us have done,Larry has removed his and replaced with a high flow one.....just a note....most shops will not change out your cat due to federal regulations,that state the cat must be faulty to remove and replace...but you should be able to find a shop no problem that will change it out for you.

Biggest issue your gonna face with header is Rasp....it will sound like a lawnmover on crack.....you will need to have the stock resonator removed from midpipe and replaced with an aftermarket one....I used 2 12" thrush resonators and car sounded beautiful.

As far as a sniff test,which I dont think they do to OBDII cars you should be fine as all the sensors will be saying no errors.
On the resonator, most ppl might add a resonator instead of remove the stock. So they can have 2 resonators to cut down the rasp. just my 0.02
Old 08-20-2012, 02:15 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Local Laws

My family and I are planning on moving to Washington hopefully Widbey Island area. I'm moving from Arizona which have almost no laws when it comes to modifications. I've seen open headers drive by cops no problem. There isn't even a state ref. However, I am originally from San Jose California where you need C.A.R.B numbers on everything. Is the same required there as well? I guess I'm really asking what are the do's and dont's and what can you get away with? Any help or information is greatly appreciated. I've been in this whole car thing since the mid 90's and it would be disappointing to find out I can't mod anything.
Old 08-21-2012, 03:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
United Imports
SL Member

I have the full raceland exhaust system and had a high flow cat added and it toned down the rasp, also I put the header sensor back just the way it was in the stock header cat set up, Now down on the s-pipe were the 2nd sensor goes I use a wepon-r cel elimantor and installed the 2nd sensor back in, this will keep your sysytem reading proper and no cell light. I do think you have to have your vehicle emissioned because the vehicle is out of state and you will need it to change the title and plates over to Washington, just went through this with my sons truck from Idaho. As brian said two 12" resanator will keep the rasp down to... and welcome to WA. when you get here....
Old 08-21-2012, 04:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I know what you mean about the rasp. When I had the tC1 still it got bad so I changed the setup. But I traded that in for the 2012 tC2 and only have the Descendant cat back system. Weapon R does have headers available but I might go with the Dezod green header that has a cat to keep it 50 state legal. That's if I don't go turbo the car. So are you saying that I should put the factory parts back on when I get the car registered over there? The descendant exhaust isn't loud at all. It doesn't even have a drone in the interior. Thanks for the welcome and responses. I feel comfortable with the community already.
Old 08-22-2012, 01:08 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

whidbey island doesn't have emissions for registration, and they dont do visual checks
Old 08-29-2012, 04:19 PM

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

No cats or egr on my 500. Pass everytime. Lol

Sent from my huge ___ SAMSUNG NOTE using tapatalk 2
Old 08-31-2012, 01:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yeah I ended up calling the DMV there in WA. My baby was born 6 days ago today. So now the wife and I are going to start trying to file job applications so that we may make the move already. I'm excited to get out of the heat but am worried about how cold it's gonna be. Never drove through snow and the coldest place I lived was Bay Area Ca. LOL