Notices
Regional - Pacific Northwest
ID, OR, WA

A Idea for a Criuse...4 Mountain Passes in 6-7 hours.

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2007, 05:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default A Idea for a Criuse...4 Mountain Passes in 6-7 hours.

I took a nice relaxing drive on Friday with my girlfriend over 4 mountain passes yesterday and thought I'd pass this along to those that might be interested before we start the norm of rain and snow.

We left Kent on a spur of the moment drive.. I didn't really have any intention on where I was going, just wanted to get out, enjoy the sun before the rain settled in. It is amazing that 40 minutes into the drive, we were cresting Tiger Pass and turning onto I-90 East. We continued out and encountered one minor accident on I-90 at the Clu Elum exit (vehicle ended up in the ditch some how..it's completely straight there btw..)

Getting off at the Second Clu Elum exit and making our way onto Hwy 97 for Blewett Pass, it was only around 3 or so by this point.. it felt like we had the entire highway to ourselfs.. quiet, relaxing.. no problems at all. We went up and over the summit uninterrupted and stayed at 60mph the entire way...

We made a brief stop at the Shell Station in Peshatin then made our way West for Stevens Pass, as we got into Leavenworth, we stopped for a little bit and explored and work up a bit more of a appetite before we went via the Chum Stick Canyon Rd. For those that don't know of this road is a tight 50mph road with A LOT of twists... With my xA, I normally pushed 60-65mph and handled like a dream.. a modified xA would be incredible on this..a couple surprise turns that sharpen up, a few hairpins then you enter Plain, Washington.

The Aspens were starting to turn colors and the road continues onward, when you come up to the turn off and want to spend some extra time, when you get to the T, turn right and head for Lake Wenatchee. Normally you would turn left, like we did. From here, continue onward out to Merritt, Washington and the meal stop. At the next stop sign and Hwy 2, turn right then a driveway or two up, turn left and enjoy an incredible meal at the 59er Diner. Trust me, this place will FILL YOU UP....

After we finished, we proceeded out to Hwy 2 West and back home up and over Stevens Pass...

There is nothing that can replace coming down a mountain pass and watching a speculator sunset happen right in front of you.. we were both in awe and couldn't say a word.. so much so that I didn't realize I was only doing 40mph coming down but then again, so was everyone else.. I can not begin to describe the colors we saw there.. just amazing.

Anywho.. finishing up the trip at Baskin-Robins for ice cream before hitting up Hwy 522 and I-405/167 for the trip back home.. all and all, it was 6-7 hours of alone time that I highly recommend everyone doing before Winter season kicks in... as a group, a family, with your other, or even by yourself.. you'll enjoy this trip one way or another.
Old 09-23-2007, 05:53 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member

SL Member

Sounds like fun, be a nice trip this time of year w/ all the leaves changing....