ID, OR, WA

Multiple Sclerosis Walk

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2006, 08:11 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Default Multiple Sclerosis Walk

What if everyday you woke up not knowing if you'd be able to get out of bed or hold your child? For many people with multiple sclerosis, this is their reality.

Multiple sclerosis (MS) usually strikes adults in the prime of life - between the ages of 20 and 50. It is a chronic disease of the central nervous system affecting the brain and spinal cord. One new case of MS is diagnosed every hour. It comes and goes unpredictably, leaving people to wonder, "Will I become paralyzed, blind or have trouble walking? Will I be able to raise my family and continue my career?"

I am joining in the fight against this devastating disease. On April 2nd I will be participating in the MS Walk in Seattle. I have a goal of raising $250 to support the National MS Society. I am asking for your help in making my goal. Please click on the link below and click Pledge me next to my name - Natalie Wiley

Thank you!

Heres some information about Multiple Scelrosis

WHAT IS MS?
MS is thought to be an autoimmune disease that affects the central nervous system (CNS). The CNS consists of the brain, spinal cord, and the optic nerves. Surrounding and protecting the nerve fibers of the CNS is a fatty tissue called myelin, which helps nerve fibers conduct electrical impulses.

In MS, myelin is lost in multiple areas, leaving scar tissue called sclerosis. These damaged areas are also known as plaques or lesions. Sometimes the nerve fiber itself is damaged or broken.

Myelin not only protects nerve fibers, but makes their job possible. When myelin or the nerve fiber is destroyed or damaged, the ability of the nerves to conduct electrical impulses to and from the brain is disrupted, and this produces the various symptoms of MS.

WHAT CAUSES MS?
While the exact cause of MS is unknown, most researchers believe that the damage to myelin results from an abnormal response by the body’s immune system. Normally, the immune system defends the body against foreign invaders such as viruses or bacteria. In autoimmune diseases, the body attacks its own tissue. It is believed that MS is an autoimmune disease. In the case of MS, myelin is attacked.

Scientists do not yet know what triggers the immune system to do this. Most agree that several factors are involved, including:

Genetics
[Possibilities include viruses, trauma, and
heavy metals ( toxicology)]

This hits so close to home since my mom has had it for 20 years now. My neighbor and also a lady who lives further down the block also has it. Id rather not go into detail because I dont want to seem like im trying to get pity but I would definetly appreciate any contribution that you may be willing to make - even if its a 1 dollar!

https://www.nationalmssociety.org//W...WLK20060402SEA
Old 03-19-2006, 07:07 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

*bump*

I have an aunt with MS. It really sux! I tried to donate tonight, but the site was down for maintenance. Good Luck!
Old 03-19-2006, 05:06 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Thanks for the bump Jason! My mom was in the hospital on Friday for a kidney infection! :-( Sorry to hear your aunt has MS
Old 03-20-2006, 06:53 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

On the donate thing, is it a one time deal or is it a per mile donation.
You know, like the old walkathons where we pledge per mile and if you
don't make it you don't get it.
Old 03-20-2006, 05:14 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

its a one time thing
Old 03-21-2006, 05:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

You should have asked earlier.......I donated to a guy up here at work........