Regional - Pacific Northwest
ID, OR, WA

pump it... pump it... pump it LOUDAH!

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2007, 01:57 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default pump it... pump it... pump it LOUDAH!

SO my audio geek side is sort of taking over my other plans for the xB. i'm going to do something for those fun times when we all get togethere and chill.

whats the plan you ask? why heres the plan!

four JBL 2226 15" sub woofers, four B&C 8PE21 8" mid range woofers and four B&C DE500 1" compression tweeters + horns = 130+db mobile concert xB .

i've already got some designs done and i expect to have all the neccessary things to start building by the end of next month.

i've been working on the design and some sketches for the past month, i wanted to keep this a suprise until one eventful evening when we get togethere that out of nowhere a TCM xB pop's it's back and starts blast'n. but i've just been so excited and now i can't help but share it now.

the only thing i'm worried about after the build is how the frame and stock suspension will hold up to the aprox. 250-300lb added weight factor to the rear end. i'm sure it'll do fine, just the turns i'm worried about.

purpose for this system, beach parties at the ocean or out where noone else will be bothered by it. minimal output thats possible out of the system is 108db and even 100db can be bothersome to others upto 1,000feet at night... SO it's one of those big group things to use. only rule i have is that when it's finished and we want to use it, i must have atleast a 48hour advance notice of the want to use the system so i have time to remove the rear seat, bolt in the bracing and install the cabs and speakers. i'm making it a piece by piece system so that it's easy to install and break down when needed, but i still need the time to do so.

general system specs are as follows:

bass - 4x JBL 2226 15" drivers *39h-300hz* http://www.partsexpress.com/imageslarge/294-470L.jpg
mid - 4x B&C 8PE21 8" drivers *300h-1.6khz* http://bcspeakers.com/images/product/front/3.jpg
high - 4x 1" B&C DE500 compression drivers + horns *Beyma TD-245's* *1.6khz - 20khz* http://bcspeakers.com/images/product/side/63.jpg

base system average sensetivity - 103db
minimal system output - 108db
normal system output - 130db - *600watt supply throughout the system*
maximum system output - 134db - *1,400watt supply throughout the system within xMax bounderies*
Maximum speaker output capability - 138db - *maximum throw 50% above RMS ratings*

RTA flat tuned with +3db bass heavy for good kicks and lows with HiFi standard response levels. Bass end tuned to 42.33hz +/-3db(39hz). flat response range of 41hz-18,500hz, +/-3db response of 39hz-19,200hz.
Old 06-06-2007, 04:28 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Balliztik
SL Member
Scion Evolution

I have no idea what any of that last part means, but LOUD I understand. Cant wait to see and hear the new system.
Old 06-06-2007, 04:50 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

All I can say is O.O
Old 06-06-2007, 05:03 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

hahaha it's all good. the last parts mainly is a measure of sound preasure. and example of loud easy listening... if you have one of those house hold shelf stereo systems like so: http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/...52921665099037

at full output they generaly peak out at about 100-110db of sound preasure or in other words "volume". an example of 130db would be about the same as you standing next to a jet engine, it's incredibly loud... another example, a diffrence of about 300 *normal play* 460 *capable* times louder then what your home systems can do. those with automotive systems are still pretty hard to get near that area playing music unless they are SPL tuned and playing only a single note, then yes they can hit those marks easy, but for a listening system, 130db is HELLA loud thus why i have no need to supply any more power then a shared 600watt to the 15's *150watt per 15* and 300watt to the mid/highs *75 per mid/high piece*. i almost don't see any reason to go higher then 300wat for the 15's and 150 for the mid/highs cause even though, it's hitting about 127db which is still insanely loud within a 100 foot radious...
Old 06-06-2007, 05:08 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

forgot to mention, Live audio based speakers are so much more efficient then automotive that i can produce a pretty damn loud 127db output which is again, LOUD LOUD LOUD and only be using 450watt/35amps *which music wise becuase it's not a constant note being played, realisticly it'll be about 20amps of power draw do to the spike factor of normal music* of power draw off of the Iraggi alternator... i've got room to grow MWAHAHAHAHAH!
Old 06-07-2007, 12:09 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
AlphaSquad
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Sounds like it's going to be a awesome set up.. My only question is, those speakers look like they have paper cones on them.. Do they and if so, why are you going that route?

I wished my system only drew 20 amps of power =( I need a new alternator just to push my system so that it won't drop down into the low 12 volts at idle.
Old 06-07-2007, 08:24 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

aye they are papper. audio reproduction from certain materials gives the speaker certain advantages and disadvantages. for example, a carbon fiber or alluminum cone, strong and durable, but at such fast movement at high power loads = heavy work to the speaker's motor sturcture *AKA magnet and VC and whatnot*. these materials give great advantages to deep lows below 40hz because they keep the cone moving for an added warm low end. Paper cones help lighten the weight and make the speaker ALOT more efficient but they become weak if tampered with. but in this case, most quality live audio drivers out there are wheather treated and tested and generaly take alot of abuse. the shape of the paper cone is another critical part of the whole speaker in it's self. in the image of the JBL 2226, see the smaller ripples on the cone, that is to help enhance the top end responce abilities. these 15's will play flat upto about 800hz if tuned correctly and are monsterous down to about 38hz which is in all reallity as low as you'll ever need to go for listening to music unless it's Drumb'n or Rea Gae *spelling?* being i've seem some scopes clock some notes down in the 20hz areas. but the odds of finding a song like that are almost 100 to 1. most studios edit music tracks to cut out at 35hz or 40hz at the lowest so that newbie audio owners don't blow out thier system not knowing it can't handle such low end notes.

Basic examples:

for heavy *shake everything but hear nothing* power, use heavier material cones such as alluminum, die cast, poly, carbon fiber, poly fiber.

for accurate and tight acting notes and high efficiency for pro tuned applications, use pulp paper, pulp treated paper or aluminum die cast paper *stronger and heavier*.
Old 06-07-2007, 03:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scion Evolution

wow... thats some interesting info there...

i say go for the 1hz range... mess with peoples hearts .. j/k...sorta
Old 06-08-2007, 01:35 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

hahah that would be 7.4hz = human body resonence frequency. but you would have to have about 150 of those MTX Thunder 1,000,000's *same 64" subwoofer used to make a Semi trailor into a box for a speaker* and about a full power plant's worth of power to generate enough decibles at 7.4hz to do the total instant body shutdown. don't even think Bill Gates with all his money of the world could pay for such a project without saying *damn man! how am i gona pay my rent?*...

Hitler tried creating a WMD along with many other WMD ideas based on using sub sonic frequencies *7.4hz* but it's so insanely rediculous that not even Hitler thought it would work...

hahaha
Old 06-08-2007, 08:55 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Now if we could just get you to play the right kind of music.
What is right, well that depends on the mood and who is there.
Old 06-08-2007, 03:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i'm a alternative, drumb'n bass and sometimes a little rap here in and there but rarely. more of a rock/heavy rock/metal and alternative person.
Old 06-09-2007, 02:28 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i actualy did some tests yesterday and today on a few home style systems to get an average. normal experienced *highest* volume has been registuring at about 90-100db which is suitably loud. i think norminal play of 127-130db will be more then enough