Old 06-04-2007, 01:13 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scion Evolution

Default Watch those speedo's....

Speedometers that is folks....
By end of july price of speeding tickets will go up in WA state:

"The $124 fine will be for driving 6 to 10 mph over the speed limit. It also will apply to various infractions, including running a stop sign or traffic light, following too closely, failing to signal, driving the wrong way on a one-way street, crossing a double yellow line, and driving without a license or an expired one."

"The penalty for talking on a cell phone without using a hands-free device will be $124 when a new law takes effect in mid-2008."

and here i bet u thought of people wearing Speedo's at the pool/beach huh???
Old 06-04-2007, 01:21 AM
5 Year Member

yea and children 12 and under 4'9 must be in a booster seat and cant seat in passenger seat either.
Old 06-04-2007, 01:30 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Tc_l2aCel2
yea and children 12 and under 4'9 must be in a booster seat and cant seat in passenger seat either.

Wait is that for real? And is that included in the back?
Old 06-04-2007, 01:31 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scion Evolution

yeah.... kids under 12 or 4'9" have to sit in back unless all other seats are taken
Old 06-04-2007, 01:35 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Club One

SL Member

Originally Posted by Tc_l2aCel2
Not quite:

http://www.800bucklup.org/parent/washingtons%20law.html
* Children under 13 years old be transported in the back seat where it is practical to do so.
* Children up to their 8th birthday, unless they are 4'9" tall (which ever comes first), must ride in a child restraint. (For example a child car seat, booster seat, vest, or other restraint that is federally approved for use in the car.)
* Children 8-years of age or at least 4'9" who wear a seat belt MUST use it correctly (never under the arm or behind the back) or continue to use a booster.

I'm all up on this stuff after hearing my mother and grandmother blabbing on about how my 8.5 year old son was going to have to sit in a booster again. Not only is he not required to use a booster, it's also illegal for him to do so (at least that is what I think it says, right?)
Old 06-04-2007, 02:07 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: Watch those speedo's....

Originally Posted by kkawana

"The $124 fine will be for driving 6 to 10 mph over the speed limit. It also will apply to various infractions, including running a stop sign or traffic light, following too closely, failing to signal, driving the wrong way on a one-way street, crossing a double yellow line, and driving without a license or an expired one."
In a way, that’s kinda messed up. I always thought that traffic fines should reflect on the seriousness of the offense. The more serious, the more costly. Yet they group 6-10 MPH speeding the same as running a red light or driving the wrong direction???
Old 06-04-2007, 02:08 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
AlphaSquad
SL Member
Scion Evolution

F'in WA state..... Always out to get more money so they can spend it on useless crap & not spend it on what we really need...
Old 06-04-2007, 05:02 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Default Re: Watch those speedo's....

Originally Posted by Budsmoke
Originally Posted by kkawana

In a way, that’s kinda messed up. I always thought that traffic fines should reflect on the seriousness of the offense. The more serious, the more costly. Yet they group 6-10 MPH speeding the same as running a red light or driving the wrong direction???
Along with that...I have a problem that they are raising the fine but not the number of officers out looking for speeders. If they patrolled even half as much as they did in the 80s-early 90's people wouldn't be driving the 10+ mph over because they would be more socially conscious. So now I keep up with the traffic instead of follow the speed limit (on highways only...on surface streets I stay to the limit and screw the speed demon behind me). I just know that there are so few real highway traffic patrols these days that soon we'll be like NorCal where my hubby is used to the "traffic flow" at 90+ mph standard.
Old 06-04-2007, 05:23 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scion Evolution

i just wish they'd spend as much time on people who drive well below the speed limit like they do speeders....

1-5 mph below speed limit is one thing (as long as your not sitting in the un-official fast lane(s) ) heck... some cars theres that much difference in speedo calibrations i think

5-15mph below the speed limit w/o hazzard lights or towing something in the slower lanes or other road conditions dictating such is way more dangerous than some 1 speeding IMO
Old 06-04-2007, 07:21 AM
Admin Emeritus

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm all up on this stuff after hearing my mother and grandmother blabbing on about how my 8.5 year old son was going to have to sit in a booster again. Not only is he not required to use a booster, it's also illegal for him to do so (at least that is what I think it says, right?)
Depends, Jenna... If he is over 4'9" then he can skate and not sit in a booster unless the car's manufacturer says differently.

The big thing with kids past their eighth birthday is up until the age of 16 the driver is responsible for their PROPER use of the seatbelt/shoulder harness, and even if they are above that age, if they cannot or will not wear the belts properly, they need to be stuffed in a booster (or in the trunk, or my favorite, strapped on the roof rack, with goggles and bungie cords).

Seriously, if the kid is under 4'9" they often don't fit the adult seats/belts properly and need the booster for their safety.

After age 16, they can call their own shots - they get the ticket, not the driver.

Tom
Old 06-04-2007, 09:49 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Club One
SL Member

This state is so fulla crap.. Ugh.
Old 06-04-2007, 03:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm going back to Guam. Nobody gives a crap about anything there.
Old 06-04-2007, 04:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
AlphaSquad
SL Member
Scion Evolution

I agree with you there KK, slow a$$ people need to have tickets too, specially when they are in the far left lane.

I typically don't speed and or attract attention to me so I don't worry abou this (unless I am trying to catch up with a group of people way down south he he)
Old 06-04-2007, 04:46 PM
5 Year Member

SL Member

SLOWER CARS KEEP RIGHT!!!
Lots of people like to put +size rims on their cars... so 18's on a 17s could ur going 66 when it says 60 on ur speedo.
Old 06-04-2007, 07:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Club One

SL Member

Originally Posted by Tomas
Depends, Jenna... If he is over 4'9" then he can skate and not sit in a booster unless the car's manufacturer says differently.
I'm not getting what you're saying here. What car manufacturer would say otherwise? And he's over 8... it's 8 or 4'9" so he's out of the booster legally by age and if I'm not mistaken, actually told to NOT use the booster after 8 or 4'9".
Old 06-04-2007, 11:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by ratcityrain
I agree with you there KK, slow a$$ people need to have tickets too, specially when they are in the far left lane.

I typically don't speed and or attract attention to me so I don't worry abou this (unless I am trying to catch up with a group of people way down south he he)
When we moved from Gig Harbor down here to Hillsboro, I noticed one big thing when driving on the freeways:

In WA, you had to watch for loonies flying up on you from behind.
In OR, you have to watch for loonies going too slow up ahead.

Net result is the same sort of problem, but the cause is different.
Old 06-04-2007, 11:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Those prices are so low!!! You should see the prices out here in California!! $240 for about 7 miles over!!!

~Stephanie
Old 06-05-2007, 02:54 AM
Admin Emeritus

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Jenna
Originally Posted by Tomas
I'm not getting what you're saying here. What car manufacturer would say otherwise? And he's over 8... it's 8 or 4'9" so he's out of the booster legally by age and if I'm not mistaken, actually told to NOT use the booster after 8 or 4'9".
No, it is not illegal for ANYONE to use a booster if they are under 4'9".

As to why a car manufacturer might say "people under such-and-such size must use an approved booster" or something similar is because the design of their shoulder belts might not fit and protect smaller people, and who knows better (and want more to protect themselves from lawsuits) than the manufacturer.

* All vehicle occupants must be properly restrained in all seating positions;
* The driver is responsible for properly securing all children under the age of 16.
* Passengers 16 years of age and older are responsible for themselves. They may receive their own citation if they are not properly restrained.
* Children under 13 years old be transported in the back seat where it is practical to do so.
* Children up to their 8th birthday, unless they are 4'9" tall (which ever comes first), must ride in a child restraint. (For example a child car seat, booster seat, vest, or other restraint that is federally approved for use in the car.)
* The restraint system must be used correctly according to the car seat AND vehicle manufacturer's instructions.
* Vehicles equipped with lap-only seat belts are exempt from the requirement to use a booster seat.
* Children 8-years of age or at least 4'9" who wear a seat belt MUST use it correctly (never under the arm or behind the back) or continue to use a booster.

Always follow the manufacturers' instructions and guidelines for both the child restraint and the vehicle
FLOW CHART: http://www.800bucklup.org/parent/boo...at_tree_2.html

5 Step Test

Keep using a car booster seat until your child is about four feet nine inches tall. To see if the seat belt will fit your child, try the following test. *

1. Does the child sit all the way back against the auto seat?
2. Do the child's knees bend comfortably at the edge of the auto seat?
3. Does the lap belt fit snugly across the top of the thighs?
4. Does the shoulder part of the belt come across the center of the shoulder and chest?
5. Can the child sit like this for the whole trip?

If you answered "no" to any of these questions, then the child should ride in a belt-positioning booster seat.
Old 06-05-2007, 03:52 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Sometimes I think older short people need booster seats also. Sometime you wonder who is driving and if they can see to drive!!! They have to peer through the steering wheel.

In Florida they have signs on the freeway that give a minimum speed requirement. I thought it was pretty funny but on the other end, 90 mph is common also. Risky to drive in that state.

And with the gas crisis and global warming, etc. it doesn't seem like anyone cares about the effect of their hard and fast driving in a big SUV, truck, van, etc. on the environment. I'm just sliding along trying to obey the speed limit (usually up to 5 over because I'm always the one who gets the ticket) and get good gas mileage, and big hurky cars are screaming past on both sides. What ever happened to the 1970s when they lowered the speed limit on the freeways to 55 and enforced it heavily?? Nowadays it's like 80 mph is fine around Kirkland/Bellevue.

rant rant rant.....
Old 06-05-2007, 02:52 PM
5 Year Member

SL Member

yay another speeding ticket... the most i've had ever!

80 in federal way at 12am >.< I was on my way back from portland where i picked up my new rims. Another pacing ticket!

Quick Reply: Watch those speedo's....