Notices
Regional - Pacific South CA, NV
View Poll Results: Automatic or Manual for Los Angeles?
Automatic
72.00%
Manual
28.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Automatic or Manual transmission for Los Angeles

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2005, 07:34 AM
5 Year Member

Default Automatic or Manual transmission for Los Angeles

I'm originally from NJ but i'm moving to LA. I'll probably be in the West Hollywood/Santa Monic area traveling around doing various jobs to make money (I'm in the enterntaiment industry).

I love driving, absolutely love it but I never learned to drive manual. All of my friends say it's the most fun ever. But i'm concerned due to the horrible LA traffic patterns, etc...

What do you think? Should I get an auto or manual? Keep in mind I'm talking about LA.

thanks,
gray
Old 07-10-2005, 08:48 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Balliztik
SL Member

i say go for auto if your going to live in West Hollywood/Santa Monica area because there is this steep hill that will be a pain in the ___ to get to the top. i been there with my xB (auto) and i got no problem of getting through that hill. i dont know, if you got enough experience with a manual, then go for it, but i dont recommend it. oh, traffic is pretty bad over there too. but if you're driving at night, there wouldnt be that much of a problem.
Old 07-10-2005, 08:41 PM
Banned

I live near SM and i have a MT no troubles here
Old 07-11-2005, 06:54 PM
5 Year Member

i'm not so concerned about manual outside of driving across town in LA. in my own town and on the weekends, manual would be sweet, but would it suck during the work week going from west hollywood to santa monica and back?
Old 07-11-2005, 07:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
DeepSouth Scions
SL Member

As someone said recently "If you have to ask, get an auto."

I personally like driving my manual in bumper to bumper traffic. People get confused when you don't use your brakes. Then again, I rarely drive in traffic.
Old 07-11-2005, 07:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team Sushi
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scion Evolution

you guys are concerned about hills in LA? Try the SF Bay area hahahaha. . . hills are our specialty.

Honestly I have no problems with traffic in a manual. In fact, manual Scions are probably the easiest cars I've ever driven, in terms of manual trasmissions. The clutch is just so smooth. I especially like the fact that I don't have to keep holding the brake, a la autos. But if you like not having to use your left foot and right hand, then go for auto.

I personally enjoy shifting. . . even in traffic. There's something about being mechanically connected to the car that is almost emotional.

If you ask me, parking on REAL hills, ie San Francisco hills, is where it is a pain in the a, but traffic? Pfffffttttttt.
Old 07-12-2005, 01:49 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Balliztik
SL Member

^^i know what you mean. i was at the Bay Area last weekend and went to Lombard St. i can smell burning clutch from many cars. LOL
Old 07-12-2005, 03:21 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

I burned out two clutches in my MR2 within 100,000 miles. One was trying to get to Dodger Stadium going up hill in a traffic jam. I drive a clutch--but I don't commute.
Old 07-12-2005, 04:32 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team Sushi
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scion Evolution

Man, that sucks. . . I drive in and out of SF all the time up INSANE hills. I park there almost everyday. My clutch still doesn't slip, nor has it slipped on any of my MT cars. It's all in how you drive it.

Some people like manual. . . some don't. It's more personal preference than anything else. There arguments going either way.
Old 07-12-2005, 07:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

once you drive thru the santa monica mtns, you're gonna wish u had a manual. go with standard.
Old 07-12-2005, 10:34 PM
5 Year Member
SoCal tC Club
SL Member
Scion Evolution

i have an AT but i wouldnt change that due to all teh damn hills and people out here dont like to stop far away.. they stop right on your a..
Old 07-13-2005, 05:31 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

after 1-2 years ur gonna get to tired of driving MT in la traffic. thats why i went with automatic. so much easier, and i can eat while i drive!
Old 07-13-2005, 07:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Well, I can't say much about LA traffic, but in terms of AT/manual transmissions for the xb and xa, the times at the 1/4 werent that different, so in t erms of speed I'd get the automatic, thus resulting in getting an automatic for everyday driving. Stick is fun, but it doesnt make a different in our cars either way, unless you're going with the tc.
Old 07-13-2005, 08:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

I live in El Segundo, CA (11.2 miles) south of Santa Monica... My fiance works in Santa Monica, that 11.2 mile drive takes him at a minimum, 45 minutes (one way) to drive, on side streets, freeway would be 1.5 hours for sure. West Hollywood to Santa Monica will not be much better, there are many stop lights in Santa Monica... think about the Automatic, I love having a manual trans car too... my tC will be an Automatic. The traffic here in LA is hell!!! There is an 8 mile stretch of the North Bound 405 after LAX (the airport) to the 10 Freeway (Santa Monica Freeway) that takes up to 1.5 hours to drive through.

You will very soon tire of your manual trans and the gas mileage is not going to make enough to warrant orthoscopic knee surgery in the future.

Good luck with your move and purchase of your Scion...
Old 07-13-2005, 10:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scion Evolution

Actually, the Auto tranny has a better MPG rating than the manual.

I know exactly where you're coming from tho. I could make my drive in about 25 minutes but it takes me well over an hour on average. It's not worth the few potential downshifts during the few times I'm on a fun road for the constant stop and go in traffic 5 days a week. Besides, just cuz I've got an Auto doesn't mean it can't be fun. The car doesn't make the driver, IMO. The trannies have improved along with the other systems in these cars. You have to be on your game to make the advantages of the stick really count.

More importantly tho...

Automatics are JDM!
Old 07-13-2005, 10:46 PM
5 Year Member

GET STICK MAN...BETTER GAS MILEAGE....AND A REAL JDM IS STICK.. I AM GOING TO BE THE FIRST IN ROSEMEAD AND THE 626 WITH A ENGINE SWAP... MR2 MOTOR WITH TURBO...YYEEEEESSSSSSSSS=)
Old 07-13-2005, 10:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scion Evolution

Hmm, how could the stick be JDM when it was never offered for the Japanese Domestic Market? It is purely USDM.

EPA estimates: Manual 31/34 Automatic 31/35

Please turn off your caps, you don't need to yell.
Old 07-13-2005, 11:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Taking into account that you actually get worse gas mileage with a stick... I can't at all see the advantages of purchasing one with these cars.

I have only driven a tC, fiance is now considering an xB (automatic) for his commute and to get us back and forth to the Colorado River to our vacation home.

The performance difference can't be that much from the stick to the automatic (if there is any) in the tC so IMO the xA or xB can't differ that much either.

As far as the fun mountain roads in CA, just how often would one find themselves in that situation for the transmission to make such a difference.

Then there is the resale issue that all plagues us when we attempt to purchase a new car... big fat deduct for the manual trans.

I am a female that absolutely loves to drive and drive fast... I have an 04 BMW 325ci that just sold so I can get my tC (due to a 80 mile R/T commute and premium gas prices in LA - tired of paying them), that car was also an automatic and the ultimate car for the performance and mountain road driving... after much talking to my fiance, and attempts to drag him to the Scion dealer (he did not want me to sell the Bimmer), he finally went, we went in Santa Monica... I was able to test drive an automatic trans tC with out a sales person in the car (thank goodness)... well my fiance soon changed his tune and this was a bone stock tC, I have been around cars my whole life, this will be my 15th car and I am only in my 36. Some were automatic, some were manual, certain cars require certain transmissions... a Honda Civic, of which I have had 2, need a manual, an Accord (of which I have also had 2) V-6 coupe, automatic only available on the years I owned... now it comes with 6 speed, would be fun but can't see the point... there are many others to list but that is off topic...

Being tired and driving home in LA traffic is no fun and that is primarily what this (and most) cars are for... getting us to and from our jobs, LA traffic can prove to be seriously trying, and that is when it is sunny here... heaven forbid it rain, everyone sees one drop of water on the windshield and they all respectively loose their minds.

Last year, CA got a tremendous amount of rain, on one particular evening my fiance (in Santa Monica) sat through 1 light (while on the cell phone with me) for 16 light changes, and it took him an hour to go 4 blocks, that night he spent the night in a hotel room around the corner from his work. Santa Monica is also prone to flooding, it is at or below sea level... problem. Drive a stick and get stuck in a flooded intersection, your screwed, I have had water get into one of the clutches of my Civics (when it was all of 2 weeks old) thank god I got the clutch to grab or my little 94 Si would have been a gooner for sure.

I can only give my experience, and you asked for suggestions, I am an acutal LA resident who deals with the traffic on a daily basis.

Drive them both, that may help put your own mind at ease and make your decision easier. Keep us posted, now I am curious as to what you will get, and let me know what you think of LA once you get here... Jersey (been there, born in Syracuse, NY) is a whole different planet from LA.
Old 07-13-2005, 11:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by TheScionicMan
Hmm, how could the stick be JDM when it was never offered for the Japanese Domestic Market? It is purely USDM.

EPA estimates: Manual 31/34 Automatic 31/35

Please turn off your caps, you don't need to yell.
You just got served. Rofllllll. I love thescionicman.
Old 07-14-2005, 12:22 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have been drive'n with a manual in LA for a few years first on my Jetta and now on my xB. I don't mind it at all. The Jetta was a little rough cause I had a racing clutch so my leg would get a little tired in bad traffic . To be able to down shift quickly and pass or move out of the way of some moron whos not looking is nice. I drive about a 100 miles a day on 3 freeways including the 405 so you know how that is. Its just what I think. I haven't burned up a clutch yet.

I love my manual

Quick Reply: Automatic or Manual transmission for Los Angeles