Notices
Regional - Pacific South CA, NV

My Introduction

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2011, 07:36 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default My Introduction

Sup SL, currently live in Seattle but next year I am coming down for school to Cal Poly Pomona. I just wanted to say hello and introduce myself. I also heard that Cali has really strict rules on engine mods such as I/H/E that must pass CARB exceptions, and I have also heard any aftermarket engine mods is illegal as well. I have a Raceland intake and know its not CARB certified. Does anyone know of any companies that pass CARB rules (I know TRD and Injen do, but I have been researching and cant find much else, also TRD is around $350 on eBay and is $440 MSRP).

Thanks for the help and nice to meet everyone. If anyone goes to CPP, let me know.
Old 05-08-2011, 08:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

There are no CARB approved intakes for the tC. I just checked Injen's site for CARB approval and verified at Sparks for the TRD, they're listed NO CARB.
Old 05-08-2011, 09:00 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Are you sure about that? I heard the rule is the part has to be OEM, which TRD would follow under. But I did look at a few TRD CAI's and almost all of them said NO CARB, I still am shocked if what you are saying is confirmed.

Thanks for your help though.
Old 05-08-2011, 09:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

TRD is not oem and is still considered aftermarket. trd intake states that its for "off road use only", meaning not street legal. there is no such thing as a carb legal intake, unless you get the K&N intake. any aftermarket header is also not street legal. with exhaust, i know for sure the TRD is street legal because its only an axle back.
Old 05-08-2011, 09:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Even some TRD products are "off-road use" only. The CAI for the tC falls under the "off-road use", it's in big bold print on Sparks site. TRD isn't OEM, it's Toyota's aftermarket tuning company. x2 for K&N being the only one offering CARB exemption, I think it's for the 05-06 tC though, or just is a replacement for only the air box to a cone filter setup.
Old 05-09-2011, 06:41 PM
Scion Apocalypse
SL Member

Originally Posted by cobija
Sup SL, currently live in Seattle but next year I am coming down for school to Cal Poly Pomona. I just wanted to say hello and introduce myself. I also heard that Cali has really strict rules on engine mods such as I/H/E that must pass CARB exceptions, and I have also heard any aftermarket engine mods is illegal as well. I have a Raceland intake and know its not CARB certified. Does anyone know of any companies that pass CARB rules (I know TRD and Injen do, but I have been researching and cant find much else, also TRD is around $350 on eBay and is $440 MSRP).

Thanks for the help and nice to meet everyone. If anyone goes to CPP, let me know.
Whats up cobija, i live around the area. if you plan on modding your car, i would not even worry about keeping it CARB legal. because anything you do to it will just make it illegal here in CA anyways lol
Old 05-09-2011, 11:14 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

^^ Whats up man.

Yeah, that was what my friend told me. He said basically have your stock intake installed, go get it checked out then reinstall it. Good thing the exhaust is CARB legal.
Old 05-10-2011, 04:45 AM
Scion Apocalypse
SL Member

Yeah that would work to lol Make sure you run the car for a day or two with the stock intake so the car can re-adjust before to smog it.
Old 05-10-2011, 06:45 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

For sure. When I visited LA before I noticed how nice people's cars were usually. I didnt realize how much more strict the laws are. I expected at least a couple intakes would have the exemption sticker on it, but none?!

Haha
Old 05-11-2011, 03:41 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

you'll be fine with an aftermarket intake, just remove the headers as that will definately get you pulled over since it makes the exhaust sound louder. as for exhaust which one do you have? angled ones cause more attention and could get you pulled over, if it's an axle back then you will be fine as long as the midpipe is stock. as far as other mods you can do NST pulleys which the cops will never know as long as you have the gray ones and not colored ones that stand out, s-pipe is another mod you can do. other than that you can't do much to the motor but yeah no intake is CARB legal except for that K&N box which is a waste of money. your better off doing that DOC I GFI intake mod and calling it a day.
Old 05-11-2011, 04:19 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have a stockie right now, looking to get a TRD one sooner or later.
Old 08-24-2011, 07:38 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hey, just bumping this up because Pomona is gonna be my new home in 3 weeks! I ended up getting a TRD exhaust. For now gonna put my stock intake soon, so sad for now
Old 08-24-2011, 11:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Many ppl do non-motor mods bcause Cali. does visual and tailpipe inspections, and if it's not OEM (TRD is actually OEM) it COULD fail. Note- some TRD parts are rebadged aftermarket; so some are not CARB legal. Most companies won't go to the extra expense to get an Executive Order number.

examples-
A header removes the catalytic converter = a federal offense, but you can only get caught where it's visually inspected. Most exhausts are fine as long as they are under 95db. K&N drop-in air filters retain the carbon filter (a smog device) in the airbox, as does K&N Typhoon part 69-8608TFK (Smog EO# D-269-32). TRD (Vortech)superchargers are ok, too.

options- best 1st
*Use your out of state residence to register your vehicle there = do what you want, or what that state allows.
*New cars can be exempt from inspection for several years = do what you want, then go-back-to-stock.
*Find a not-so-legit smog tech that'll overlook most issues and pass you.
Old 08-24-2011, 11:22 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yeah, thanks. I have a few friends down there that can probably help me out.
Old 08-25-2011, 03:36 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Welcome to SL. You should be fine with the TRD exhaust and intake. Post some pics of your TC.
Old 08-25-2011, 05:25 AM
Scion Apocalypse
SL Member

TRD = No Peoblem at all lol

hey if you want hit up our meet here is the link
https://www.scionlife.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=197693

Old 08-25-2011, 08:00 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by FlintLBC
Welcome to SL. You should be fine with the TRD exhaust and intake. Post some pics of your TC.
Here are some taken by a friend, the color is AP which I dont mind but I seem to get more negative feedback. The color really grew on me and I think its fine now, nothing I would want to shell out $2000+ for.

Here is a short upgrade list though:

Engine/Drivetrain Modifications:
-Raceland CAI
-TRD Exhaust

Suspension Modifications:
-Rokkor Coilovers

Interior/Exterior Modifications:
-OEM Lip Spoiler
-Modded 08 projector headlights w/ 8k HID's (housing and chrome rings painted)
-Tweaked-Ice Blue Tinted and Convex Side Mirrors
-S2K Antenna
-AEM Oil Cap
-VRD Fog Lights w/ 2500k Hyper Yellow's
-VRD Badgeless Grill
-Red-out Full TBL
-TRD Rear Sway Bar
-Dr. Isotope Radiator Panel
-TRD Front Strut Bar
-Pioneer F90BT Head Unit
-Rockford Fosgate P1S4-12 Subwoofer
-Rockford Fosgate P300-1 Amplifier

Originally Posted by SsmoothyMonster
TRD = No Peoblem at all lol

hey if you want hit up our meet here is the link
https://www.scionlife.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=197693

For sure, sounds like fun.
Old 08-25-2011, 05:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

Originally Posted by divisii
*Find a not-so-legit smog tech that'll overlook most issues and pass you.
this is a little extra but if you don't want to remove mods it's worth it. i got my tc smogged with my turbo kit on and passed just had to pay a little extra.
Old 08-26-2011, 03:59 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Nice drop height. It's clean. Any future plans?
Old 08-26-2011, 06:10 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by FlintLBC
Nice drop height. It's clean. Any future plans?
Thanks, its at a perfect height imo, only scrap on pretty low drops, no angled speed bumps either

Umm, I might consider wheels and such later on but trying not to waste anymore money onto it. I feel like the car is fine the way it is and its just a waste adding anything else, but I might do other smaller mods like a gauge cluster color mod or something like that.

Quick Reply: My Introduction