Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2006, 12:20 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Default Thinking of moving to San Diego

Hola my SoCal Scion brothers!

So I've been living in Milwaukee (Wisconsin, in case you don't know) for a few years now and me and three of my friends are thinking of moving to San Diego sometime around April/May.

Does anyone know of any place I could stay for like a month while job hunting out there before finding a place for me and three other people? ExtendedStay is like $2000 a month so it's way out of the question. Maybe a room that can be rented out for a month in someone's house, or some other alternative?

I'm probably going to go with a temp agency for a job when I initially get there, and then look for a proper job during the first month or two I'm there. However if anyone knows of any places looking to hire someone with my skills, let me know.

Mods: feel free to move this to Off Topic if you desire.
Old 01-12-2006, 12:52 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Oh and if anyone has any recommendations for places to live (looking for at least a 2 bedroom, prefer 3) for around $1500 your input would be appreciated!
Old 01-12-2006, 04:39 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm looking to move out to LA area (gf is going to grad school at UCLA) and stuff is just so damn ridiculous. The apartments I found (2 bdr) are 2-3k a month. Around here is about 800 a month. Need to find a job that pays like 2-3x as much!!
Old 01-12-2006, 05:28 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

check craigslist.org
Old 01-12-2006, 05:44 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team No Limitz

Scionetics
SL Member
Scinergy

i rent a 3 bedroom house right now for $1500 a month in mira mesa. search craigs list for people that need a roommate and see if they will let you stay for one month while you find something. craigs list is your new best friend lol.

look in mira mesa or clairemont areas of san diego. they are decently priced areas that aren't the ghetto or anything. it shouldnt be too hard to find a 3 bedroom something for $1500. good luck!
Old 01-12-2006, 06:11 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
AlphaSquad
SL Member

clairemont is great because its central to everything. all freeways are close by. and also because i live here. lol.
Old 01-12-2006, 05:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

One of the guys that's going out there with me was in SD last week and talked to a bartender that said that while Craigslist is awesome, most of the listings get grabbed up by locals within hours. I will definitely post on there though as I've had luck with it in the past in other cities.
Old 01-12-2006, 10:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I actually had some luck on craigslist. Just moved down here in Aug from NorCal, and found my original roomies on there. Just be careful...Roomates.com is a cool site as well. As for places to live, clairemont is probably going to be your best bet, because it's not the NICEST area around, so it can be more affordable. Generally, stay north and west in san diego for the nice areas, east and south for the...not as nice. I'm in La Jolla, which is awesome, but it's hard to find a place here because UCSD is here. Most of the housing is grabbed up pretty quick by local college students. Good luck finding a place!
Old 01-13-2006, 12:53 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i was born in milwaukee sorry that was really random.............
Old 01-13-2006, 06:16 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team No Limitz

Scionetics
SL Member
Scinergy

^^^what tool said. i used to live in utc which i loved. it was really nice but we moved cause we needed to rent a house instead of an apartment. so yea stay north and west for the nicer areas. even if you have to get into north county.
Old 01-18-2006, 05:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

While we're on the topic of cost of living, how much are you guys paying for insurance out there?
Old 01-18-2006, 06:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

car insurance? Mine runs $220/mo. That said, I've got a few things working against me. I'm 21. I'm male. I have 1 speeding ticket. I have a brand new car. I have State Farm, which is one of the more expensive, but the coverage they give me rocks, and I have a great working relationship with my agent.
Old 01-18-2006, 06:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team No Limitz

Scionetics
SL Member
Scinergy

i only pay $966 or something a year. its pretty cheap for insurance out here. when you get here look into a company called wawanesa. they only insure good drivers with no points against them so they are pretty cheap.
Old 01-18-2006, 07:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

you should also look at the all the costs associated with living there. gas is a lot higher along with other essentials needed. even the bad parts of san diego are not cheap compared to other locations.
Old 01-18-2006, 08:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

this is true. moving from norcal to socal wasn't that big of a deal, because I'm used to the high cost of ca living. but moving from out of state is a bit tougher.
Old 01-18-2006, 08:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team No Limitz

Scionetics
SL Member
Scinergy

i did it. i came from living with my parents in nj to living out here in san diego. i came out here with nothing but my clothes and my computer. i didnt even have a job for the first 3.5 months i lived here. i have been here for 4 years now. you just have to make sacrifices to do it in the beginning until you get yourself set up. there was a point where i was living out of my car for a week with nowhere to live. just make sure you save a good amount of money before you move out here so that you can live while you look for a job... or find a job before you get here. also, just be ready to have a couple grand to put down for the first month of rent and security deposit wherever you live. good luck! i wish you the best! you will never want to leave once you get here.
Old 01-19-2006, 12:46 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Syxxpac
also, just be ready to have a couple grand to put down for the first month of rent and security deposit wherever you live.
that is a good idea. california is very high with paying first and last month rent along with high security deposits.
Old 01-20-2006, 10:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I just moved to SD recently, i pay $750 for 1 br. My insurance dropped 500 dollars from Los Angeles to SD and I'm turning 25 this year so it should drop even more.

What kind of skill sets do you have? I could always try to get you a job where I work in MiraMesa. While apt. hunting, I found a handful of spacious 2 br and 1 br apartments fot $800 around North Park.
Old 02-25-2006, 07:40 AM
5 Year Member

word! i agree w/ everybody in sd ive been here 31 yrs and u wont wanna leave.