Notices
Regional - Pacific South CA, NV

What would be the accepted % of window tint is in SoCal

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2008, 01:05 AM
5 Year Member
sIcKsCiOnS

Default What would be the accepted % of window tint is in SoCal

What would be the accepted % of window tint is in SoCal..I'm interested to know. Thanks!
Old 07-10-2008, 01:10 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

for the front windows-none
windshield-none
rear windows-5
Old 07-10-2008, 01:48 AM

I though it was 70 in the front? Oops...
Old 07-10-2008, 01:52 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

oem tint is 74 i think
Old 07-10-2008, 01:53 AM

http://www.tintcenter.com/laws/CA/
Old 07-10-2008, 05:06 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by tCtCtC
for the front windows-none
windshield-none
rear windows-5
from personal experience.... meaning i've been pulled over for this several times that is correct.. ive actually heard you can even black out the back windows as long as you have the 2 side mirrors.. but yeah kinda hard to see out of that.
Old 07-10-2008, 06:21 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: What would be the accepted % of window tint is in SoCal

Originally Posted by kikomachine
What would be the accepted % of window tint is in SoCal..I'm interested to know. Thanks!
"Google" is your friend...

http://www.tintcenter.com/laws/CA/

I have 35% on the driver, rear quarter, and passenger windows and 20% on the hatch. That's probably
the safest to go. I've been down to SoCal (my bro lives there) lots of times and been driving right next to the
coppers and never had any problems. Remember though; "You gotta pay to play."
Old 07-10-2008, 06:47 AM

FTWS "Medical Exemption- State law does NOT allow medical exemptions that would allow you use special tint. "

Um and what kind of medical problem could be allowed in a different state to change the limit of tints?
"Officer, I have the flu, and that requires me to have 1.5% all the way around. I don't want the chance of people catching the flu by looking at me"
Old 07-10-2008, 06:51 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'd have to agree on the 35%, i have 32% all around and havent gotten noticed yet. even though I'm in Nor*Cal you So*Cal peeps get it worse than we do
Old 07-10-2008, 08:17 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

just go 5% all the way around FTW! cops really dont care. ive had it for ever now and i live in anaheim hills.
Old 07-10-2008, 08:18 AM
SL Member

Originally Posted by fourtheye28
FTWS "Medical Exemption- State law does NOT allow medical exemptions that would allow you use special tint. "

Um and what kind of medical problem could be allowed in a different state to change the limit of tints?
"Officer, I have the flu, and that requires me to have 1.5% all the way around. I don't want the chance of people catching the flu by looking at me"
Photophobia is the common exemption. Sensitivity to light.
Old 07-10-2008, 01:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by AnyMeans
Originally Posted by fourtheye28

Photophobia is the common exemption. Sensitivity to light.
I tried a similar excuse (glaucoma photosensitivity) when I got busted for dark tint, but after talking to my eye doctor and the local tint installer, that no longer works. They now make film that is optically clear but blocks both UVA and UVB, so you can protect the eyes without using limo tint and having a waiver to show the police. Bummer.
Old 07-10-2008, 08:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by tcCAlI
cops really dont care.
I have to seriously disagree on that statement. Most cops do care and the CHP cares even more. hahaha Put yourself in their position when pulling over a car for whatever reason day or night......how dangerous is it not to be able to see the hands of the cars occupants? Especially here in South Cali? Consider yourself lucky for them ignoring you.

Going back to other responses....yes it is legal to only put 70% or lighter on the front drivers and passengers doors. But why tint them then? I have heard of people with skin cancer problems getting exemptions in the past. But like someone else said, they now make virtually clear tint that addresses the UVA and UVB rays which causes the health problems. so I doubt a dark tint with a medical excuse will work anymore?

As for the windows behind the drivers and front passenger seats, you can put anything you want as long as you have a side mirror on the front passenger door. So whatever you decide for the front drivers and passenger doors, roll the dice and hope you don't get ticketed for it.

On my personal POS 1990 pre-crossover Camry, I do have 20% on all windows except the windshield and have never been bothered by city police or the CHP. Probably b/c it's a stock looking family car. (And the ticket would be worth more than the car itself. hahaha) On my stock Tundra, I have 20% on the front doors and been warned a few times and ticketed once......the ticket came from the CHP and he said he only pulled me over b/c of the tint. I'm like WTF?!?!? I removed the tint, paid the stupid fine, and then re-tinted them. The sad thing was they never went out to inspect that I had taken the tint off.....those bastards. But I only blamed myself because I knew the law.

OK I'm done. I hope everyones input helps you make an informed decision on what you decide to do.
Old 07-10-2008, 08:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have 5% all the way around on my EVO X..

No windshield though..
Old 07-10-2008, 11:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have 30% on the front two and 15% on the back three. Having the that dark on the front is bothersome at night since it makes it harder to see out lol. During the day I usually have my windows rolled somewhat down so I don't have to run the A/C all the freakin time. Haven't been bothered yet and I live in "The OC".
Old 07-10-2008, 11:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

you can have a banner tint on the wind shield but it can only be 4" (last i heard) check the links posted above to confirm
Old 07-11-2008, 08:11 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Unique Scionikz
SL Member

Originally Posted by tcCAlI
just go 5% all the way around FTW! cops really dont care. ive had it for ever now and i live in anaheim hills.
Only way they care is if they pull u over for something else. Like an exhaust ticket, will automatically give u a tint ticket if u have tint in front windows. that's how most cops are. I think that cops can't pull u over just for the tint, they need another reason 1st. That's what i've heard from several people at least. I actually took my tint off today cuz I have to get it checked tomorrow at the court for my fix it ticket. I got it cuz my exhaust was too loud. so double fix its. sucks!
Old 07-11-2008, 11:46 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

if they need to meet quotas, a fix it ticket for tint would not seem like a bad idea & i'm sure they care about keeping their job