Notices
Regional - Pacific South CA, NV

Where to have springs/shocks installed?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2006, 07:11 AM
5 Year Member
Team ScioNRG

Default Where to have springs/shocks installed?

hey wussup guys! im new to this forum and this is my first post. anyways, i just recently got the trd lowering springs along with the trd shocks. i need to take it to a shop where they can install them on my car. i dont want to have toyota install them because they were gonna charge me 369 for the installation. anybody know where to have them installed for a affordable price in san diego?? thanks.
Old 01-15-2006, 04:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

well if you don't have toyota install them, then no warranty. So you might as well install them in your driveway.

If you cant do that, then go to different garages or call a bunch and go to the one that gives you the best price.
Old 01-15-2006, 05:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Premium Member

my dealer quoted me $500 for labor on the TRD springs! Crazy!

I just went with Hotchkis springs and installed them somewhere else! Im not paying more than what the springs cost me to get them installed!

Call around and get some quotes!
Old 01-15-2006, 05:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

/wow, its that much mark up. So how much do you save if you dont do it at the dealer again.

Since you said you were new, I figure I'd ask you a question
Motionscion06
If you gonna get a completely new car, why do you think you have to change the vehicle dynamics when you get it. I would think that everything should be the way it is, thats why they pay thousand of engineers to test out.

What, (for you) makes you want to change the shocks and springs?
(Two questions I guess)
Old 01-15-2006, 06:01 PM
Banned
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scinergy
Scion Evolution

Try Autofashion. Freddy and Elroy do excellent work and are very knowledgable Scion owners also.
Old 01-15-2006, 06:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Big Sky Scion
SL Member

What, (for you) makes you want to change the shocks and springs?
(Two questions I guess)
Well, I think it's an easy answer - come here with a stock anything, and you get dumped on. Everyone feels the need to "improve" their cars because everyone else says to.
It's funny. If someone needs to update due to auto-xing or show, that's fine, but for the other 99% of the people here, stock is fine.
Put your money into something you can really enjoy - a nicer stereo, updated interior, or take a trip with your new car!

Scott
Old 01-15-2006, 07:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Premium Member

well suspension isnt a bad way to start!

The tC comes stock higher than other models in its class which sucks cause if you get used to seeing the tC which most of us are, you get tired of how it looks more and more like your going off-roading (or at least i did). My 2nd mod next to my audio i did suspension! Worked great for me! I love it.

The TRD suspension is really nice and i hope you enjoy it "MotionScion06"! Dont let people charge you around the $2-300 range for install cause i know san diego is bigger and has alot more places. I got my springs installed for $100.
Old 01-22-2006, 10:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

but for the other 99% of the people here, stock is fine.
Put your money into something you can really enjoy - a nicer stereo, updated interior, or take a trip with your new car!
Wow.... that's priceless! I'm going to ponder away in thought over that one for the rest of my life!
Old 01-22-2006, 11:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Big Sky Scion
SL Member

While you ponder, let me reiterate that the thread isn't about customizing in general, but springs/shocks. Why is may statement wrong? You really think that you NEED springs/shocks if you're the average tC owner?
I don't.
Don't get hurt pondering... :p

Scott
Old 01-26-2006, 05:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I just went to the dealer last week... and they told me that its 1165 for shock springs or struts with the swaybar all installed.

And with that that I don't think that I need a lowered car or it will be that much better of a car, but im interested now because of this...........

if you get used to seeing the tC which most of us are, you get tired of how it looks more and more like your going off-roading (or at least i did
Old 01-26-2006, 05:40 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I was looking around for a place to get some lowering springs, and have them installed there also. I thought maybe I could get it cheaper if I got it all from one place. And I wouldnt mind taking a day to go down to San Diego, but its about 75mi from here.
Old 01-26-2006, 05:58 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

......dudes....no offense, but it's not hard at ALL to install springs and a swaybar....it's an hour and a half total job. 2h15m for noobs. there are plenty of tech articles around here that are very very good, and with time,tools, and patience. it can be done just as good as anyshop....please...i'm old school....please....if you are going to tune you're car, call yourself a tuner....then do the simple stuff yourself....if it's a turbo or supercahrger or all motor work...then leave it to the shops...but when i see people needing springs, shocks, intakes, exhausts....even tire rotations....I cry inside.
Old 01-26-2006, 06:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

whoa thats a trip. uh pick up a phone............................... good luck post experience and prices when ya do it
Old 01-26-2006, 06:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Premium Member

Originally Posted by gnar-de-gwar
......dudes....no offense, but it's not hard at ALL to install springs and a swaybar....it's an hour and a half total job. 2h15m for noobs. there are plenty of tech articles around here that are very very good, and with time,tools, and patience. it can be done just as good as anyshop....please...i'm old school....please....if you are going to tune you're car, call yourself a tuner....then do the simple stuff yourself....if it's a turbo or supercahrger or all motor work...then leave it to the shops...but when i see people needing springs, shocks, intakes, exhausts....even tire rotations....I cry inside.
sorry that every1 has the perfect tools! Not every1 can install springs with their bare hands and a wrench!

call in your area and get quotes! Dont go for more than $100-150! anything over that is too much!
Old 01-26-2006, 06:25 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by PrettyniceB
whoa thats a trip. uh pick up a phone............................... good luck post experience and prices when ya do it
I used to drive 30mi 3-4 days a week to go see my girlfriend. 75mi isnt too big of a deal lol
Old 01-26-2006, 07:26 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I don't have perfect, tools, I have the basic hand tools (not ver expensive either), there called bolt on's because you don't need intense tools, the only "intense" tool I used...well rented and found out I didn't need it...was a spring compressor. like I said, don't take any offense to it! I am just old school and a DIY guy. I know that alot of cars nowadys do the whole, go to a shop, buy expensive parts, pay them to do it all for you. I mean, really....what's the fun and self-rewarding challenge in that? if that's your thing fine, I have nothing against having shops do all the work for you, I know for certain applications I'd take my car to shop....but not for simple bolt-ons, but it doesnt make sense to me to have people pay and wait for something that, like I said before; basic tools, good tech articles, and patience can get the job done as good as any shop. BUT you wont have to pay OR wait a few hours or days for a simple no more than 2 hour project...but please...don't tell others you're a tuner. Just tell them that you are a driver.
Old 01-26-2006, 08:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Call this place:

Affordable Automotive
21417 Ingomar St Ste 2
Canoga Park, CA 91304-7101
(81 887-4425

Ask for Josh, tell him Guillermo sent you, he is one of my club members and he's done his own spring/shock install along with sway bars, header s-pipe, TRD exhaust, Weapon R-engine dampner, well you get the point, thanks.
Old 01-26-2006, 09:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Premium Member

tru! i wish i had the patience to DIY!
Old 01-27-2006, 03:34 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Buy the springs from me and I'll install it for $80 and a cookie.

We're located in 909(loma Linda)
Old 01-28-2006, 03:45 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

tru! i wish i had the patience to DIY!
You said you did the radio squeak post one? An you posted like 5-7 minutes later that you did it. That's a Hell of a Do it yourselfer if you took off the cover fixed it and came back and posted done?
If there is a DIY you'd like to post here
gnar-de-gwar 21/M
Then post it bet ya NY will do it then LOL

Quick Reply: Where to have springs/shocks installed?