Regional - Plains IA, KS, MO, NE

All Scion Show 5 - PICS (56K LOL)

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2008, 10:04 PM

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SoCal tC Club
SL Member

IowaSciontist, i'm guessing you have the JDM inspired xB??
Old 07-09-2008, 12:50 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I didn'[t say I didn't have fun. I enjoyed the show, chatting and meeting people, etc. And you did a great job with setting everything up, timeline, etc.

But as I watched the judges at other cars, they asked questions, like "what stands out on your car?" or "what is the favorite mod on your car?"etc. When they came to me, they never said a word, and when I tried to tell them about some of my stuff, they seemed to pretty much blow me off never even acknowledging I said anything to them.

I know my car had issues. Hell, it was a daily driver for 4 years. I wasn't expecting to win first, second, best of show or anything. I new better, I have been showing cars for 20 years, since I was 16. I know what makes a good show car. I have had cars in magazines and ones that won shows all over the country. This xB is no where near as nice as those.

But what I did see was that the old man with 22's on his xB's paint was TERRIBLE! Rattle canned door jambs, uneven gap between hood and grill/headlight delete thingy, scratched up plexi in the floor displays, swirls, orange peel, dirty ___ windows, wax and buffing residue in every crack and under the reverse cameras, and it won FIRST PLACE! The majority of people I talked to before awards, and after all thought it was rediculous. There were more deserving cars there than that one. Made me wonder jsut what the judges were looking at. Cleanliness? Probably not. Paint? Only wearing dark sunglasses?

And things like this seemed to go on in every catagory. I think there should have been at least 2 sets of judges to allow more time to be spent at every vehicle. 2 minutes to judge a car is not near enough. At World of Wheels Shows they spend a minimum of 10. And the more you have done, the longer they take.

But like I said, I had fun, met new people, and got some good beer at Old Chicago.
Old 07-09-2008, 04:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Scikotics
SL Member
Scinergy

Two sets of judges means that all cars are not judged by the same people and since all the cars are competing against eachother for several awards that is certainly unfair.

I realize you don't like Herb's car. That's fine. Its not my favorite either, but he did very well on the judging criteria despite the flaws. Remember, nobody got perfect scores. Many categorys were seperated by only one point or two.

Every car was afforded at least 4 minutes to judge. Any longer than that and we would've been there until midnight. Nobody wants that.

I could hire more judges, but I would need at least 10 of them to break into teams and still judge the overalls fairly. I can't find 10 qualified volunteers and I can't afford to pay them either because this is a free show.

These are the problems in promoting a show. You can't do it perfectly. I've shown at several big shows myself and was displeased with the judging there too. You just can't make everybody happy all of the time.

I'm glad you had fun though. I hope you still don't think it was rigged. It wasn't. That was my big problem with your previous statement.

-Alex
Old 07-11-2008, 04:54 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Alex i give you ALOT of props and respect, you did one hell of a job doing this for what...? 5years in a row now? you did a excellent job in mine and Clay's eyes and thats with any trophies to the side. we came back because of the PEOPLE, APPRECIATION and to have a damn good time! and let me tell you.. we had such a great time at the show/dinner/cruise etc and if people are going to grip about how judging is instead of just brushing it off thier shoulders than they've really showed their appreciation and grautitude for what you've done right? well sorry to burst you're bubbles guys but youre head is in the wrong spot. we didnt come to win trophies and get fame, if that was the case than we would have went to Scion United in group 1 as we got picked and got our pix all over the internet/posters etc.. some people attend some shows for the wrong reasons and to continue to drag things out like it has literally blows my mind but hey we are all entitled to our own opinion. and who are some of you to judge that cars are ugly in youre opinion or one car deserved better than another or this/that car shoudnt have gotten what it did. that is wrong and to explode his or her car on a forum makes you feel better? people work their a$$e$ off on their rides so if you want to be judgemental about someone elses car to make you feel better than worry about making yours look better for the next show instead of nip picking others.

Alex,
i cannot wait to do this again next year