To Toyota of Des Moines; This is why we dont have nice things

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2009, 09:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member

Default To Toyota of Des Moines; This is why we dont have nice things

Had a little bit of fun at the service department today... this is what I sent to the service email address. Not that it really bothered me at the time, but as I sat here and watched Days of Thunder, it just kinda got to me more and more...

Well, today was by far, the third, and final time, that I bring one of my vehicles into the service department at Toyota of Des Moines. I was very optimistic when today first began. I thought to myself "Well, Im not bringing my xB into the department today, so there is no way that something can go wrong"

Now I never figured that any of the problems with my xB should have been addressed, after all it is a highly modified vehicle and I expect to have to wait 2-3 hours for an oil change since I know that it will be difficult due to it being the way it is. I was a little disappointed in the fact that when I get it back and look at the Inspection Sheet that either nothing is marked off, or it is all "Checked and Okay" I understand that the techs have feelings too, and when presented with a challenge such as my car I know that patience gets tested and things are forgotten. Like filling the windshield washer fluid, checking the tire depth, or even the air pressure.

But on your run of the mill 4wd V6 unmolested yet rusty 1990 Toyota 4Runner, I felt that would be something that surely, would be hassle and problem free. Much to my surprise, it was not.

I showed up at 7:47 this morning for my appointment, which I guess when you make online the scheduler puts you in for the last vehicle you have had in there, as Phil asked me if I was supposed to be having the xB serviced today, as that is what it said on my preprinted RO. No big deal, I understand that happens. I went inside and finished a little report that I needed to, and in about an hour and 15 minutes I was paged over the intercom that my truck was done. a little impersonal, but I understand that the department gets busy and you cant come out and present the Inspection sheet to every customer, its just not feasible. Phil did make a point to come and see me as I was paying to explain a couple things to me about the techs findings. I payed my bill and went out to wait for my car to be pulled up for me. Put my laptop in the passenger seat, adjusted the seat, and went off on my marry way.

At 12:56 I received a phone call from the dealership. Not from the service adviser, not from the tech, but from someone who knows me personally at the dealership that I should probably come back to pick something up. I drove up there, thinking that this was a ploy for me to go buy lunch or something along those lines. Little to my surprise, during my service the air filter for my vehicle was removed to inspect it, but never returned to the car. This prompted 2 feelings out me. 1) How the hell do you forget to put an air filter back in a car? and 2) why did the service adviser not call. this was apparently spotted about an hour after I left, which would have been around 9:45, yet I was not notified till almost 1. Can someone please explain to me that system works? Would that not be something that is pretty common sense? And yes, once I heard that, I checked both my oil filter and drain plug to make sure that I had both of those, given your track record, I should praise you for remembering those items.

Thank you for your time.

Don Petrunak
Old 09-01-2009, 12:22 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
Fail, INC

SL Member

boooooooooooo
Old 09-01-2009, 12:38 AM
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member

Originally Posted by RedneckwithanxB
I drove up there, thinking that this was a ploy for me to go buy lunch or something along those lines. Little to my surprise, during my service the air filter for my vehicle was removed to inspect it, but never returned to the car.
Makes me mad when people in the service department at Toyota are better off in the service department of taco bell
Old 09-01-2009, 12:45 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member

Yeah...
Old 09-01-2009, 04:28 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member

This was the response that I got

Don,
Actually I will thank you for your time and for making me aware of the situation that occurred today. I have no good logical excuse for why this happened other than the truth and maybe it is a good time to try and revamp the process, although this is not a common instance. The process involves the technician bringing the filters to the service advisor for inspection and verification and to show the customer. Due to the time constraints the technician will a lot of times go back to work on the veh, completing the inspection topping off fluids etc... if the filters are purchased the advisor will discard the old ones and tell the tech to replace them. If they are not purchased the advisor will return the filters to the tech for reinstallation. This is where the error occurred. The filters were set on the work bench due to the tech being in the middle of adding oil at the time. It appears that he then failed to return to the filter and went about completing the remainder of the service. I will tell you the this is the newest of our express lube technicians and is qualified but is also new to our processes. I understand that this does not make the situation any better but again it is the truth. I have also talked to Phillip the advisor and he informs me that he did indeed call and leave message at the phone number on file roughly 20-25 minutes after you left. If you did not receive this message I am not sure why. Again I offer my apology and want you to know that it is truly not our norm. We service an average of 185 customer vehicles per day, this would not be the case if we handled them all as we have you. Admittedly, there seem to be customers that once you drop the ball it just keeps rolling away from you.

Thank you for the feedback

Ron Short
Service Manager
Toyota of Des Moines
Old 09-01-2009, 04:59 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member

My reply, Im to the point where Im getting rather vicious

Ron,

If Phillip called, I never got anything, and I called into my desk phone at work, and there was nothing there. I would like to know what number you have on file. the correct one should be 3XX-6XX0, I have gotten calls from you all in the past, many prerecorded from either sales or service. I understand the whole process, as this isnt my first trip to your service department (which is why we are having this conversation now, arent we?) but I was not even shown the air filter. Had I seen it, I would have had it replaced, it was in horrible shape. When I got there I walked into the department and Fred was waiting there to apologize to me, I understand the being new, not used to the process thing, thats not what set me off, its just that everytime that I seem to come into the department something happens that makes me wonder why I still bring my vehicles to you all. It cant be the great level of service that I receive, and I have severe doubts about the complementary donuts and coffee, so why in the world would I keep bringing my cars and money to you?

As far as "filtergate" goes, Mr. Short, I can bring it by for you sometime, having stopped at Napa on my way home and getting a new one, after driving across town again to retrieve the old one. Its a very good thing that I make sure that when I have to come to the service department there, I clear my whole day, and hopefully, I dont have to worry about a lot of damage to my personal vehicle. Thank you for the email, and send my condolences to the other 184 people that were there Monday, and hey, the future is looking up for you all, there are plenty of other people out there that just bought new Toyota's (thanks to CFC) for your department to "Drop the ball" on.

Don
Old 09-01-2009, 05:22 AM
jct
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

so how well did your truck run w/out the air filter in it???
Old 09-01-2009, 05:26 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member

Awesome!
Old 09-01-2009, 06:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member

The reply I got today... Now Im getting Angry...

The 3XX-6XX0 is the number on file. No need to bring the filter by.
Thank you for your time.

I pretty much just got told to f--k off via email... so much for customer service...
Old 09-01-2009, 08:40 PM
jct
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

start picketing in front of their store
Old 09-01-2009, 08:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Go in there and biiittch.

I feel for ya man.
I have terrible luck with my local Toyota service department also.

I took my car in last week Wednesday to have a few techs drive my car and get a feel for my clutch and tell me if they thought my throw out bearing might be starting to go.

The techs agreed that it is, and they said 95% chance it would be covered under warranty. After that one of the Tech Supervisors told me they would look into the warranty to see if the part is covered.

So I waited two days, and then on Saturday I received a call from the Supervisor I had talked to Wednesday, and he said they were still looking into it, and his manager had just gotten back into the office and the paperwork on my vehicle was on his desk to be looked at.

I gave him the benefit of the doubt.

I called today, Monday, and I was yet again told it was laying on his desk and he was waiting to call head quarters to find out if it is covered.

No progression over 6 days.
Pathetic.
I hate Toyota Service.
Old 09-01-2009, 09:20 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
Fail, INC

SL Member

Don, call toyota corporate, seriously. I remember we had a big issue with a dealer once and my pops called corporate after a little while. Needless to say, it got straightened out. Corporate really takes these things seriously, especially with that guy being as big a tool as he is being there.
Old 09-01-2009, 11:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member

I have called corporate this afternoon, and after an hour on the phone, forwarded the emails to them, and they arent happy. Had Ron offered to either A reimburse me for the napa filter or B offer some kind of restitution I would have been happy. But with the three sentence "Thanks, now F--k off" Im not a happy camper
Old 09-02-2009, 03:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member

Snap. I'm hoping my visit to my dealership this afternoon goes smoothly, otherwise, I'm gonna kill some _____es.
Old 09-02-2009, 05:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member

Have yet to hear anything back...
Old 09-08-2009, 02:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Scikotics
SL Member
Scinergy

So I guess that means I'll see you in about 3-5,000 miles right?
Old 09-08-2009, 02:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member

Yull have the xB prob before Pinups and the 4runner sometime in Jan
Old 09-08-2009, 04:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
Scikotics
SL Member
Scinergy

Just as the devil's advocate here, Not as an emp, but as a friend.......
Remember what we've done too.....

That in itself is probably saying too much as I don't want to get drug into this.
Old 09-08-2009, 04:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member

Yeah, and I realize that I should have just done that myself. Im very appreaciative for everything that has been done for me in the past, but looking back it wasnt the smartest of ideas that I have had. Im not sure if all that is in direct corolation with these events (either in reality or karmaticly). I appreaciate everything that I have been given by yourself and those that were there to lend a hand/tools. But that is on a completley different spectrum in comparison to paid service. My main fight now is Rons attitude, shortness with me, and the neglect on the advisors behalf to even bring the filter to show me then not even call me about it being left there.
Old 09-23-2009, 02:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member

got two letters in the mail after forwarding these emails to corporate.

1 was a coupon for a free oil change
1. was a $25 BP gas card

then I got a letter from Toyota yesterday about the new process to make appointments, along with an oil change coupon and a 20% off parts and setrvice coupon. Toyo DM will never see my vehicle again, but I will be using those in the near future

Quick Reply: To Toyota of Des Moines; This is why we dont have nice things