Notices
Regional - Rockies CO, MT, WY

Going in for Emissions...Scarier than Halloween?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2012, 07:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scion Driven Girls
SL Member
Scinergy

Question Going in for Emissions...Scarier than Halloween?

I'm going to have to get an emissions test on my '05 tC this next week, so I can renew my plates by the end of September. Ugh! I've never had to do an emissions test with it (ever!), so I'm a bit nervous if it will pass now that the car is just over 7 years old.

So, we swapped out the Fujita Cold Air Intake for the stock setup already... but is there anything else that anyone suggests should be done for the test? I heard something about the gas cap needing to be replaced before I get it tested too.

It has a TRD air filter in it now too (since we took off the CAI and we removed the K&N filter/box). So hopefully it will be ok with that stock stuff in place?

I also heard that if I got just 5 gallons of E85 to run in it and went out for a long drive before going in for the test that it might help.

Any thoughts?
Old 09-21-2012, 07:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

With all that stuff on your car you should have pass anyways. Even my vr6 GTI with the exhaust and intake passed easily, and it is 15 years old. I would say if you car isn't throwing any codes then you will be fine.
Old 09-22-2012, 06:34 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I had to do mine at the start of summer. I did it with my Weapon R sri on and it was fine. As long as you're running on the stock ecu you'll be fine. I would say put your cai back on and disconnect the battery for a few minutes before you leave when you reconnect it the car will run lean for about 400 miles then drive like a bat out of hell on your way so that the cats are hot when they do the test. FYI all emissions tests are done at the new site on W 29th st by the Harley Davidson dealer.
Old 09-23-2012, 12:17 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

even on an aftermarket ECU, you should be fine. My GTI made with an aftermarket ECU on it.
Old 09-24-2012, 12:29 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

You should be fine, no need to worry.

I had to get emissions on my tC for the first time already. I left the Injen CAI on mine, and even then it still passed by a huge margin.

As far as I know, the only place a CAI should cause you to fail would be California.
Old 09-26-2012, 03:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scion Driven Girls
SL Member
Scinergy

Ugh...I just knew it wouldn't be that easy for this test!

I went in yesterday for the e-test at the Air Care Colorado facility in Loveland. But they wouldn't even test it because the guy said the car is too low.

He tried to blame it on the tires being "flat" on the front, and said, "These are not the stock wheels" (said in a very thick spanish accent that I could barely understand. When he said stock wheels it sounded like, "esstockay wheelce") So, I argued that the tires are just low profile and NOT flat. He insisted that I go get air in the tires and come back. I had to back out of the bay and then drove all over looking for an air station to put more air in the tires. I got pretty frustrated because the tires already had the correct tire pressure!! I knew he wouldn't run the test if I went back to him again then.

So, I went home and we switched out the aftermarket wheels & tires for the stock ones last night. The car still sits just as low though, because the stock wheels and tires are the same size as the aftermarket ones.

Guess what though?!? Their own website says:
Q.

Tire Sizes and Dynamometers?
A.

Front wheel and all wheel drive vehicles with low profile tire sizes 17 inches or larger in diameter, or vehicles with tire sizes larger than 34 inches cannot be safely tested on the dynamometer.
Only vehicles with manufacturer-equipped undersized or oversized tires that do not fit safely on the dynamometer will be authorized by the state to undergo an idle test instead of a dynamometer test. Vehicles with tires larger or smaller than original equipment that do not fit safely on the dynamometer must be returned to stock condition for testing. Vehicles with non-original undersized or oversized tires will not receive authorization from the state for an idle test.

So, I am going to fight with them again this afternoon! I'm going to go in there and tell them i DO NOT want my car run on the Dynamometer...and to do the "snif test" instead... We'll see if they will do it.
Old 09-26-2012, 03:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

That's awful!! I'm sorry they are giving you such a hard time!

I don't understand why they are being so hard on you, but the EcoTest location in Broomfield gave me no trouble at all. Even with my car being lowered and having 18s on it.

Good luck when you go back. Don't let them give you a bunch of crap!
Old 09-26-2012, 03:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scion Driven Girls
SL Member
Scinergy

Yeah, I'm going to rely on their own verbiage where it says, "Only vehicles with manufacturer-equipped undersized or oversized tires that do not fit safely on the dynamometer will be authorized by the state to undergo an idle test instead of a dynamometer test." That would be my car! I will even show him the door sticker that says my car came with this size wheels/tires!
Old 09-26-2012, 04:47 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Do the test at the Greeley location. I'm lowered and have 17" wheels and they didn't give me any crap about them and they didn't do a dyno test only a snif test and OBD2 test.
Old 09-26-2012, 09:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scion Driven Girls
SL Member
Scinergy

Originally Posted by goldtoaster
Do the test at the Greeley location. I'm lowered and have 17" wheels and they didn't give me any crap about them and they didn't do a dyno test only a snif test and OBD2 test.
OMG... I took it back to the Loveland place today at lunch to show him that I had returned the wheels/tires to the stock ones, as he requested yesterday... and I had the same guy tell me that he couldn't do the test now because they "HAVE to run it on the dyno, unless the State representative signs off on the "OK to have it Idle Tested", and it still couldn't run on the dyno today with the stock wheels/tires on it! Seriously? I tried to tell him yesterday that it wouldn't be any different with the stock wheels/tires on it today, but he had to make me do it for nothing!

They said for the dyno test it still couldn't be done because of two reasons:
1) Vehicle lacks sufficient ground clearance (instability on the dyno)
2) Modifications may cause unsafe testing condition (vehicle has non-original condition)

Ugh... So I am taking it to the Greeley location on the way home tonight to see if they can just run it there without any problems.

Otherwise, I have to have their State representative look at the car (by appointment) to sign off on having the Idle Test done instead of the Dyno Test. THEN I can finally have the Idle Test on the car?

Word to the wise? Get your emissions done waaaay in advance of your plates expiring, in case they make you do all this stuff too? Now I have two more days to get this done, and I feel like I am dis-assembling the whole car just to pass emissions!
Old 09-26-2012, 09:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

That's ridiculous!!!!

I'm so sorry they are putting you through all this!
Old 09-26-2012, 09:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scion Driven Girls
SL Member
Scinergy

If it doesn't get tested at Greeley tonight without problems, then I have to put on the stock side-skirts and front bumper/airdam for the State representative to look at Friday morning...and then MAYBE he will ok the Idle Testing....
Wow, what a great system we have now that the State of Colorado requires we go through these places to get emission done, huh? (can you sense the sarcasm?)
Old 09-27-2012, 04:08 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I cant believe you are having this much trouble. That place sounds like a bunch of hard a$$'s. When i got my GTI done, my oil pan was hitting their dyno and they didnt even say anything about it, and they ripped one of my side skirts off. Hopefully you had better luck in Greeley!
Old 09-27-2012, 10:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scion Driven Girls
SL Member
Scinergy

UPDATE!

The emissions testing place in Greeley had no problem at all with doing my car yesterday evening! So, I guess it was just the guy running the place in Loveland that had a problem doing it.

...and it passed with no issues. Yay!

There's two more years now before I have to do it all over again?
Old 09-27-2012, 10:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

Awesome! I'm glad they got you taken care of.

Yeah, sounds like the guy at the other location was on some kind of power trip. At least you know where NOT to go now! Too bad it was after you changed out parts though :/
Old 10-11-2012, 11:43 PM
nnj
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

had my mercedes done at an alternate testing place in denver. has a saftey shutoff when put on a dyno. called them up...got booked in...then all they did was idle the truck and made sure it had no check engine light...commical. didnt need anyone to sign off just told them why and they realy didnt care...oh and it was free
Old 10-12-2012, 04:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scion Driven Girls
SL Member
Scinergy

You got lucky nnj! That's great they did it for free too!
Sheesh! I guess I was just going to the wrong place from the beginning. So, word to the wise? Don't go to the emissions place in Loveland! Ha!
Old 10-14-2012, 04:27 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Colorado doesn't have cold start emissions tests do they? A friend told me to always run the car pretty good for a while, make sure she's nice and hot. Assuming you don't have a CEL, you should always pass. I know some Evo guys who always swap DP or exhaust when getting it checked out. Maybe they don't need to?
Old 07-03-2013, 07:05 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

great info
Old 07-05-2013, 10:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Go to just about any parts store and get a bottle of, I think its called"Always Pass".

Change your oil and make sure the engine is hot before you test.

Quick Reply: Going in for Emissions...Scarier than Halloween?