Regional - Southeast FL, GA

Who should sell Scion and how ???

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2009, 01:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Scikotics
SL Member

Default Who should sell Scion and how ???

So here is your chance to put your money where your mouth is.

Let's tell corporate how we want our brand to be sold. I have read numerous posts regarding how horrible it is to walk into a dealership and be treated like second rate citizens by salesman who have no clue what an Ipod is let alone that you can hook one up into a Scion as standard equipment.

Do you want tuners to sell Scion?
If so what attire do you expect from them?
Would you like to work for them?
If so what would you expect to get paid?
Would you like Scion to be sold outside of the dealer enviroment, like @ malls or colleges?

No idea is to crazy here, let me hear them, you never know what can/will happen next...

Thanks ...
Old 04-09-2009, 01:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

It would be nice if Scions could be sold by people who actually like cars and know something about them. Not someone just trying to shove a sale down your throat for something they know nothing about.

I don't think they need to be taken out of the dealer environment... but really these days, why not internet sales - especially with Scions? There's no negotiating price anyway, so why not setup internet sales and have someone deliver the car? They're supposed to be for younger/hip kids anyway, right?

I'd consider selling them in my area, but I can't imagine I'd be able to make over $40k/yr selling just Scions. Not to mention I wouldn't want to work at a shady dealership that I don't like anyway.
Old 04-09-2009, 01:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Scikotics
SL Member

What if your job was part time and not in an office? You mentioned online, would you prefer running into a qualified salesman at a car show, search the inventory through his/her laptop and did all the paperwork onsite to have it delivered to your home or work?

Would you be comfortable conducting a transaction like that outside of the dealer enviroment?
Old 04-09-2009, 04:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
1UP Crew
SL Member

I like the idea of presenting something at carshows and bringing a laptop to show inventory.
Although most people who would like to buy a car, want to test drive as well so the paperwork part may not work as well.

I also have to agree with having people who are more knowledgable in Scions try to sell. Even have more people who are more into Scions work in the maintanence as well. That may satisfy more customers and bring in more sales.

I have applied at the local Scion dealership already but no luck. I would like to work at Scion but I wanted to work in maintanence or parts and work my way up since I am studying engineering in school and have been a part of the Scion community for a good while now...
Old 04-09-2009, 05:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Scikotics
SL Member

I'm thinking that there needs to be a deprture from the norm altogether. Starting with the word salesman, it conjures a negative connotation from the get go.

Bring on the crazy ideas, changing a car is the easy part, making the sales enviroment comfortable to the point of encouraging you to return is where I'm heading ...
Old 04-09-2009, 06:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i bought my tc from fitzgerald toyota, actually from a pair of salemen, i think they're names were clayton and...alicia, they were a pair, they weren't much older than i was, but they were just genuinely nice people, who started working at the showroom about the same time, and were learning and just earning an honest living. this was waaaay back in 11/04 though, when scion had just come out, they were really excited about the brand, and even invited me back to the dealership after installing a bunch of the accessories so they could see what a really decked out tc looks like.

then about a year ago or so, i took a co-worker of mine to the same dealership to get her a tc. and it was different. clayton and alicia were no longer there, but we got a salesmen, he was a nice fella, don't really remember his name, but what i hated, and i mean HATED was that once we pretty much bought the car, we got bounced around the showroom to different salemen with different things. one lady was hell bent on selling us undercoating, paint protection, scotch guard interior ETC, the only worthwhile thing we got was lojack, then we got sent to another guy who tried to sell us all the tires for life (which doesn't cover z-rated tires anyway) and an extended service contract, and warranty, basically using scare tactics to sell it saying "we just replaced the ECT module on a toyota 4runner that was out of warranty that cost over 2 grand total etc." and he insisted that the tc has alot of expensive computers that are expensive and hard to replace. and i just looked him in the face and said, you gotta be kidding me. it has an ECU and that is it. it isn't a lexus or mercedes benz, it is friggan scion.

with that said, i think the sale people should be younger and interested in cars, and know about customizing them alittle.

and most importantly, hire people based on personality, because you can always train them for any job, but you can't change their personality.
Old 04-09-2009, 08:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Scikotics
SL Member

Thanks for the input so far ... now do you think it would make sense for one of us to be Scion salesman? Would your decision have been any different if the salesman answered all your questions then said, "BTW why don't you come outside and look at my Scion"?

Do you want your dealer to also be a place where you hang out? What would cause you to grab a non Scion driving friend and say hey come here and check this out....
Old 04-10-2009, 12:53 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

they salesmen don't have to go so far as to drive and modify their own scion. but after the scion united campaign, maybe the dealerships should have some portfolios or brochures of happy owner's and their vehicles, or maybe even a demo model like my dealership had that was completely customized in the showroom. subaru has a really nice magazine for their owner's called "drive" which mostly depicts subaru owners and their outdoor lifestyle.

also, lots of dealerships are doing some events where they invite scion owner's for music, and car show, and maybe some food or drink, but i think they mistake they make is ONLY invited current scion owners. they should try to advertise more in their demographic at colleges, high schools, or malls to try and attract new members, or owner's of different cars, might even attract new buyers from other brands.

as for dealer sponsored events i have attended, there was a scion show-off car show in central florida toyota i went to in 2005, it was great, and they let lots of other cars compete, it wasn't scion only, which can really narrow down your participation.

then, newark toyota/scion world in delaware hosts an autocross with a local porsche club, and they pay for all the scion owner's entry's, and even provide some refreshment, and subway cold cut subs and such. the dealership also brings new models to display, last time there was an RS model xd, and a totally customized FJ cruiser.

also, scion exposed, i went the one at cal ripken stadium last year in aberdeen, and i loved it! great turn out, but i haven't heard of another one since then.

now the only problem with incouraging new scion owners to customize cars and autocross is potential for void warranty coverage. so having a good service department is a must.
Old 04-10-2009, 09:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: Who should sell Scion and how ???

i think it would be a good idea if ppl who actually know the car, mod the car, and know its features, and what each part/accessory/ and additive attractive feature for each model + helping the person choose the right model for the persons needs would greatly help... who wants to talk to someone who knows nothing of what your looking for in a car and cant explain to you all the +'s your getting for buying a scion. Also on average, most of the ppl who buy scions want to mod it in some way so helping a person decide on what mods best suit their tastes and how to buy the mods or possibly install it themselves later on down the line would help convince someone "you know what i like what your saying i want the car" and help with sales....

when im there i dont wana school the salesman i want the salesman to school me... because chances are ive already done my research and know what the car can do or why im buying it but if the salesman can catch me and point out other things ive missed that would greatly impress me and show me he cares not for the benefit of his wallet or the dealer but because he owns, drives, or mods one and can relate to my needs.

attire as in clothing? this question can be taken very broard pls specify... if i worked for scion i dont mind dressing to their standards but if they also suggest a "scion" style clothing top with nice pants i can do that also... i think ppl will feel more comfortable buying from someone who looks like they work for scion VS maybe someone dressed down ....(thats just my take on this question but i need more elaboration on it)

hell yea scion sign me up!!! im pretty well known in the community and i love traveling to other states visiting and talking to other scion owners... why not get someone who ppl know already... west coast /east coast i got scion covered! lol

the economy is tough now so asking for money is tough... that would have to be worked out with them if they treat me as a normal employee or pay me based on sales etc etc... dealerships pay in different ways (from what friends have told me who work selling cars) ... but as long as i can clear my bills im good lol i dont need much to be happy ...working for scion would a bonus for me! REAL TALK! i would love to be part of the movement.

Would you like Scion to be sold outside of the dealer enviroment, like @ malls or colleges?

i think it should stay by the dealers because its easy to show cars in different colors and all the options in person.. plus its the first place ppl go to when buying a car....

how ever i think maybe doing presentations, features, and having salemans with booths at colleges promoing scions and showing off maybe a car or 2 or maybe a tricked out car at locations would help also! etc etc this can fan out largely as if seen scion do it before which ive seen + results from it...

but for the most part at the dealership i think is best.

Originally Posted by trikkonceptz
Thanks for the input so far ... now do you think it would make sense for one of us to be Scion salesman? Would your decision have been any different if the salesman answered all your questions then said, "BTW why don't you come outside and look at my Scion"?

Do you want your dealer to also be a place where you hang out? What would cause you to grab a non Scion driving friend and say hey come here and check this out....
i think yes it would help if the salesman would say hey come check out my car.. maybe take u for a ride in my car or show off his mods to the buyer.... anything to get the buyers creative juices going on what HE can possibly do to his car to add his own style to his new scion.

i think having a place to hang out can be a pos and neg thing... its great to draw fellow scion owners and have them hang out because potential customers can go also and see stock and modded cars and that can help spark their own ideas on their future scion or maybe they are unconvinced in buying because they dont know how new rims and a drop or any other variety of mods can look on a scion and if they see it there at the dealer that can further help them make their decision. the neg i can already see if having TOOO many ppl show up and then it becomes a rukus of scion and bass and revving etc etc.. so the dealer would needs to maybe make a deal with ppl hanging out to keep it low, clean, and dont get roudy....

you can also alternate clubs visiting the dealer which might help with trafficking the amount of ppl there at one time... but thats another ball park to tackle.

if there's typos im on phone which sucks for posts this long.. ill try to review it later but just wanted to add something now.
Old 04-27-2009, 03:03 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

I saw this and I just had to answer...so here goes....coming from Hollywood Scion as you did Ivan...we both know the in's and out's of that dealership and I personally think using that as an emample there is much to learn .... when it comes to dealership and Management itself....

I think Salespeople and Managers who are SCION CERTIFIED/ SCION GURU or SCION MANAGERS and UNDERSTAND and BREATHE the SCION COVENANT are the people who should be working in the Scion Department. Not many , to use us as an example should be let go for people who do not believe in the product, not want or LOVE the product and MOST IMPORTANTLY make the buying, selling or even after math of the sale be a pleasurable experience for the client. Till this day I still have every single customer on speed dial on my phone and even after having gone, I still take the phone calls and help them in anyway I can...Some Salespeople want the sale, want that unit, want that commission and once the client has a problem does not want to be bothered, me personally LOVED working for SCION and my job was 100% CUSTOMER SERVICE SATISFACTION!

Management needs to understand SCION is a completely different ICON, different SALE, totally different EVERYTHING, people either LOVE or ALREADY know what they want before they come in, and if you know and believe in the product it shows in your presentation...I LOVE THE PRODUCT, I LOVE EVERYTHING ABOUT IT...AND MY PRESENTATION AND WALKAROUND SOLD, not all Toyota Salespeople either know how to present or know the little extras because they just don't care and are not certified...so why a COVENANT if Management doesn't even care or follow it...why work so hard if noone believes in it...but yet those that work hard and want to do everything right are disregarded?

I went from casual, to dressy, to uniform, I think SCION should have a seasonal Uniform....which is either provided for them or sold to them through Scion...and only SCION Salespeople who are Certified should be able to sell the product.

I already did...but I ask God to bring me back...owrking for SCION in some way shape or form...because I finally found my niche', and it was taken from me...and I know I did my best and would LOVE to prove it all over again, working for someone that truly appreciates my work, and insight.

A set salary plus commission, have you seen the ecomony? People need to be able to live and pay the bills.

If you beleive in the product which of course I do, I can sell it at the Publix parking lot....and as a matter of fact have! So it doesn't matter where you are...SCION sell themselves...but a friendly smile, gesture and a few minutes can make a HUGE significant difference, a new friend and a new Family member to the SCION FAMILY.

My two cents...thanks!