Notices
Scion FR-S Owner's Lounge
Scion FR-S Forum - The Scion sport coupe

Wanting to trade in my 2012 tc for an FR-S

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2012, 07:55 AM

Default Wanting to trade in my 2012 tc for an FR-S

So I bought my 2012 tC in November of last year. I got the military rebate, and got about $3,000 for trading in my old car. I owe just under 15,000 on it now and KBB says i should get around 16,500...and thats on a 2011 tC model. By the looks of it I shouldn't be upside down on the trade in on this car for the FR-S but am I technically losing money because i did get $3,000 for my old car when trading in for the tC and now I'd only be getting $1,500 for trading in the tC towards the FR-S? Sorry if this is confusing, im a little confused myself on if I'm asking this right haha. Im new to the whole buying new cars thing, the tC was the first car i actually got on my own.

When getting the FR-S id also be getting the military rebate again and plan on putting 4-5,000 down plus whatever i get from trading in my tC if anything at all. Would be trying to get around the same payments i have now.
Old 07-09-2012, 01:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

You should be talking with a salesman, not us.

Go in and crunch some numbers.
Old 07-09-2012, 01:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I traded in my 2011 scion tc with 19157 miles and got 15200 for it. It was black and manual with a little scrap on the side nothing a little touch up paint cud not fix. i owed 9000k on it so the rest went to the frs. If u owe 15,000k but the car is worth 16500, they will most likely give u about 15,500-16k maybe! but i wudnt be surprised if they hit u with the "we'll give u what u owe on the car" phrase. Its better if u have a trade in actually cuz my dealership told me that they are not selling their frs models without a trade in
Old 07-09-2012, 02:15 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

Well go in there and dont tell them what you owe. Just go in there say I want an FR-S and I wanna trade this baby in as well. Tell them you think its worth 17.5k to you. See what they say. Maybe they will actuall give you that. Most likely not. Then you can try and meet at your 16.5k number to make some money. Whatever you do dotn take less than what is owed. Dont tell them what is owed no matter how hard they ask. Say its not important as if you dont offer what I am looking for then you will go somewhere else who will. And your not losing 3k on your old trade as that helped you get a better price on the tC and if you didnt have that 3k trade from before it seems you would be upside down 2k. Just be lucky you will probably come out with money in your pocket if you want.
Old 07-09-2012, 06:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Only one way to find out, man! Walk in there and tell them to give you the numbers, then tell them you'll think about it and go home and negotiate with them the next day.

Keep in mind, the FRS average life on a lot is 5 days. They're going quick.
Old 07-10-2012, 06:37 AM

Originally Posted by AKgoalie7
You should be talking with a salesman, not us.
I would but im deployed right now, hopefully getting back to the states in a couple months. Just trying to see what I should and could do once i get back?

Originally Posted by Brichard0625
I traded in my 2011 scion tc with 19157 miles and got 15200 for it. It was black and manual with a little scrap on the side nothing a little touch up paint cud not fix.
I got about 10,500 miles on mine with a little scratch on my bumper and a little curb rash on one rim, so hopefully i can get more than 15,200. I still wouldn't be upside down if i got that which is good i guess?

Originally Posted by highvoltage1
And your not losing 3k on your old trade as that helped you get a better price on the tC and if you didnt have that 3k trade from before it seems you would be upside down 2k. Just be lucky you will probably come out with money in your pocket if you want.
Thanks man that's what i was looking for, if I was losing money or not and i guess im not :D. I didnt look at it that way, i just saw my 3,000 for old car compared to the maybe 1,500 i could get on this which didnt seem right.

Originally Posted by AnotherDude
Keep in mind, the FRS average life on a lot is 5 days. They're going quick.
Really, is it possible i can get numbers over the phone so maybe i can just order one and have one waiting when i get back? Can they do that stuff haha?
Old 07-10-2012, 04:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Since you're deployed, you can try calling or e-mailing your local dealer, but don't expect a trade in quote unless your car is actually at the dealership. They can always run your credit to see what kind of loan you're approved for though.
Old 07-10-2012, 06:16 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

You should be able to get 17,000 no problem...Scion has to be upfront with ACV (actual current value) on their first offer to you. Use the 2000 equity and just lease it for 279 a month for 3 years and then decide if you like the car. Keep your other saved cash for aftermarket stuff or just in the bank.

my current lease is on a 2011 XB 600 down 36 months @ 233.00. My buyout at the end is only 9800. I can sell, trade, or even just give back to the bank if the market goes sour in two years, but scions are rated at the top for resale value across the board. I'm expecting to get around 13,500 24 months from today. I sell private and take the 3500 and get the FR-S or soon to be replaced new xb..

You may always chat with customer support here...Maybe they can get you going and have things ready when you return fighting for our country and freedom!!!
http://scion.custhelp.com/app/chat/chat_launch
Old 07-11-2012, 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by AnotherDude
Since you're deployed, you can try calling or e-mailing your local dealer, but don't expect a trade in quote unless your car is actually at the dealership. They can always run your credit to see what kind of loan you're approved for though.
Cool, I will probably give them a call sometime soon...think its possible i can have my wife and mom bring the car in for a trade in quote, or do i have to physically be there since the car is in my name?

Originally Posted by Shadezz
You should be able to get 17,000 no problem...Scion has to be upfront with ACV (actual current value) on their first offer to you. Use the 2000 equity and just lease it for 279 a month for 3 years and then decide if you like the car. Keep your other saved cash for aftermarket stuff or just in the bank.

my current lease is on a 2011 XB 600 down 36 months @ 233.00. My buyout at the end is only 9800. I can sell, trade, or even just give back to the bank if the market goes sour in two years, but scions are rated at the top for resale value across the board. I'm expecting to get around 13,500 24 months from today. I sell private and take the 3500 and get the FR-S or soon to be replaced new xb..

You may always chat with customer support here...Maybe they can get you going and have things ready when you return fighting for our country and freedom!!!
http://scion.custhelp.com/app/chat/chat_launch
Thanks for that info but im not big into the leasing thing. I would look into doing that but I drive just about every other weekend from California and Las Vegas (the wife stayed in Vegas because of college and I'm stationed in California) so i put a lot of miles on my car, I know when you lease they limit your miles, don't they? And cool thanks i might give that customer support a try.
Old 07-11-2012, 06:05 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Miles only hurt you if your giving the car back to the bank. I've leased over 6 cars and never gave it back to the bank. People are so scared of the miles thing...I've been over the miles on every lease i've owned and always have made money by selling out right or trading. (I've also owned only Toyota & Nissan's) Good cars better resale values to start.
Old 11-15-2012, 01:32 AM

Is it worth trading in my TC2 2012 which has almost 6k miles and i've done like 5 payments on it for the FRS? Wht do you guys thiink? I'm new to this whole trading cars thing. 😔
Old 11-15-2012, 04:14 AM
Jon
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

1) Go to the dealer and ask.
2) You should have bought the car you wanted in the first place.
3) You will lose money i.e. whatever the difference is in what you owe vs. what the car is worth will be rolled over onto the new loan.
Old 12-14-2012, 07:20 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team Sushi
SL Member

and they will never give you KBB value. Guarantee.
Old 12-14-2012, 01:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by kapo
and they will never give you KBB value. Guarantee.
For sure. But definitely don't let them give you less than what you owe on it unless it's upside down.
Old 12-14-2012, 10:29 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

I received over KBB for my WRX.

Go during beginning of month, show them you're interested.
Start negotiations mildly.
Leave your name number and let them give you a number on the trade.
Never accept the first offer on the trade.
Leave. do not sign anything.

LEAVE.
and if you havent done so already...

LEAVE.

Receive a call one week before the end of the month by the salesman asking you to come back in because he has spoken to his sales manager about getting a better price for your trade.

Go back to dealership.

Receive 2nd offer.

Say sorry.

Receive 3rd offer.

Decide if this is reasonable.

Accept and sign.

Thats how I do it, and I always get top dollar for my trades.
Old 12-18-2012, 04:07 PM
5 Year Member

No matter what you choose. You will loose a lot of money, especially if you are trading in less than a year. Trust me, I speak from experience. I learned that you should just get the car you want in the first place than settling. Otherwise, it will just cost you more in the long run.
Old 01-22-2013, 02:34 AM

Wow didn't know people were still responding to this haha. Anyways I ended up trading in my tC for a Manual Asphalt FR-S back on October 20th, 2012. They actually offered me more than what I owed, not much but still wasn't upside down. And I got the military rebate again so pretty happy. Here's my FR-S from this past weekends photoshoot. Installed stance coilovers and Work Emotion CR Kiwami 18x9.5 +38 wheels. Will make a new thread for my journal so lookout or that :D
Wanting to trade in my 2012 tc for an FR-S-imageuploadedbytapatalk1358825460.333663.jpg
Old 01-23-2013, 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by Justin91M
Wow didn't know people were still responding to this haha. Anyways I ended up trading in my tC for a Manual Asphalt FR-S back on October 20th, 2012. They actually offered me more than what I owed, not much but still wasn't upside down. And I got the military rebate again so pretty happy. Here's my FR-S from this past weekends photoshoot. Installed stance coilovers and Work Emotion CR Kiwami 18x9.5 +38 wheels. Will make a new thread for my journal so lookout or that :D
Attachment 12800
I myself just got this letter and I'm curious about it but afraid it's a ploy. I have 2010 tC with 40k miles and still owe 16k. Wasn't really in the market for a new car but if they can give me a new car, pay off my old loan, with nothing down and same or less monthly payment, I'm in. LOL
Old 01-24-2013, 01:40 AM

Originally Posted by grux41
I myself just got this letter and I'm curious about it but afraid it's a ploy. I have 2010 tC with 40k miles and still owe 16k. Wasn't really in the market for a new car but if they can give me a new car, pay off my old loan, with nothing down and same or less monthly payment, I'm in. LOL
Letter? I had a 2012 tC with about 11k miles and they gave me just under 16k for it. I also put $4500 down for the FRS plus the military rebate of $1000. My monthly payments went up about $80
Old 04-24-2013, 04:01 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm going to my dealer tomorrow to get my paint protection film reapplied to my 2013 tc I'm considering test driving an frs kind of afraid I'm going to wanna trade it in if I do though it'll be tough because I've already boosted my tc and Stomped idk how many frs lol but they are just so dang sexy and my 2013 tc only has 8k miles if that

Quick Reply: Wanting to trade in my 2012 tc for an FR-S