Scionlife.com

Scionlife.com (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/)
-   Scion iQ Aero & Exterior (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/scion-iq-aero-exterior-1833/)
-   -   DIY Installation of iJDMToy 194 LED license plate bulb (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/scion-iq-aero-exterior-1833/diy-installation-ijdmtoy-194-led-license-plate-bulb-219376/)

surfcitylocal 11-21-2012 03:32 AM

DIY Installation of iJDMToy 194 LED license plate bulb

8 Attachment(s)
The stock 194 Wedge bulb used for lighting the rear license plate on the iQ is not the brightest bulb (pun intended) so I changed it out to a 194 Wedge type LED bulb from iJDMToy. It's a simple job and the results are much better than stock.

The only tools you'll need are a flat head screw driver or a plastic trim removal tool.

The light bulb can be accessed from the under side of the rear bumper just above the license plate...

Attachment 31995

Using a flat head screw driver or a plastic trim removal tool, press on the black plastic tab located at the end of the lens and push towards the lens. The entire black plastic housing will be removed from the bumper, not just the lens.

Attachment 31996

Attachment 31997

When you have the housing removed, turn the bulb socket counter clockwise and the socket will come lose from the housing...

Attachment 31998

Gently pull on the stock bulb and it will come out of the socket. Replace the stock bulb with the LED bulb and turn on the lights to check that it lights. If it does not, reverse the bulb and try again. The LED bulb is polarity conscious and will only light if installed correctly.

Attachment 31999

Once you are sure everything is working properly, the installation is the reverse of the removal.

Attachment 32000

Here you can see the stock lighting...

Attachment 32001

And the difference with the LED bulb is clear to see...

Attachment 32002

An easy job but the result is well worth the short time it takes to accomplish.

kingkevinn 12-28-2012 06:26 PM

I swear i saw your car in El Cajon, CA this morning. but I could be mistaken.

________

surfcitylocal 12-29-2012 01:00 AM

Originally Posted by kingkevinn (Post 4078310)
i swear i saw your car in el cajon, ca this morning. but i could be mistaken

It wasn't me but there is another iQ that looks very similar to mine. Same color wheels and graphics.

1FastIQ 02-01-2015 08:40 PM

LED License Plate Light

Hi Taz,
I also installed one of iJDMToy's LED bulbs, and while it changed to color of the light, I didn't notice that much difference in the brightness over the stock light (been a while since I tried to attach photos, I'll now see if I can figure out the process again).

1FastIQ 02-01-2015 09:22 PM

LED License Plate Light (Part II)

2 Attachment(s)
OK, now to see if I can add the plate photos from Photobucket...

Attachment 23469

Attachment 23470

surfcitylocal 02-02-2015 01:47 PM

Your original plate light looks much brighter than mine was. I do like the blueish tint, goes well with your body color.

Constellation 02-04-2015 10:23 PM

Not a fan of LED bulbs, saw a guy the other day with his license plate bulb flashing randomly (poor connection?). Just says pull me over buddy!