Notices
Scion iQ ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Removing the Front Passenger Seat

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2012, 04:36 AM

Default Removing the Front Passenger Seat

Has anyone removed the front passenger seat and successfully reinstalled it? I'm worried about disconnecting the SBS Airbag and sensor wires and having computer (beeping noises on from the dash) trouble the next time I start the car.

I'm sorta interested in taking out the front seat on occasion for cargo hulling.

Also... owners manual gives stern warnings about even touching anything near the airbag locations saying they may accidentally deploy. Most of these mods involve taking off dashboard and ceiling panels where airbags are housed. Any hints on how to not do anything to the airbag units?

Thanks!
Old 04-25-2012, 02:36 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

I've removed mine for interior work. You can be extra safe and disconnect the battery or just be careful when removing the three air bag connections.

Once you have them disconnected, simply remove the four bolts holding the seat track to the floor and lift the seat out.
Old 04-25-2012, 05:06 PM

Thanks!

Do you think the car will drive w/o a passenger seat or will the dashboard go crazy... There's probably only one way to find out.
Old 04-25-2012, 05:38 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm sure you'll get a warning light on the dash but I don't know if there will be anything audible. There wasn't in my first gen xB.
Old 04-26-2012, 06:41 PM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by surfcitylocal
I've removed mine for interior work. You can be extra safe and disconnect the battery or just be careful when removing the three air bag connections.
Once you have them disconnected, simply remove the four bolts holding the seat track to the floor and lift the seat out.

What he sed: I left the battery disconnected during all my headliner and panel work.

Also: the dashboard airbag warning lights can be fooled by installing a resister in-line where the seat airbag engage circuit used to be. Happens all the time for steering wheel mods too.

Any word on matching up bolt-patterns for replacement seats? Is the pattern industry standard, and if not, is there an adapter plate to take it to standard measurements?
Old 04-27-2012, 01:44 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

At one point I was going to change out the seats but I didn't measure the pattern. Thankfully it's a flat mount as opposed to the xB which had side mounts on the center hump.

Name:  DSCN1409.jpg
Views: 2999
Size:  72.6 KB