10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default First drive: Scion xB 2nd generation

Bon
Allscion -- an e-commerce website with news and accessories for your Scions
http://www.allscion.com/store

http://www.caranddriver.com/previews...-scion-xb.html

The 2008 Scion xB has evolved from toaster to toaster oven. It’s bigger and has more features but is still unique. The gain in girth is a loss for lightweight-car fanatics, but it should give the xB greater appeal to the general public, although going mainstream is something the brand eschews, to the point where Scion execs have said they will not run any TV ads to launch the new xB to avoid alienating young, hip buyers.

Either way, the xB feels grown up in more ways than its increased dimensions. Refinement and fit and finish are much improved over the first generation's. A starting price of $16,230 for a manual transmission is a good price for any car, but the xB is more distinctive than anything else in this price range. That’s enough to call it a winner in our book.

VEHICLE TYPE: front-engine, front-wheel-drive, 5-passenger, 5-door wagon

BASE PRICE: $16,230

ENGINE TYPE: DOHC 16-valve inline-4, aluminum block and head, port fuel injection
Displacement: 144 cu in, 2362cc
Power (SAE net): 158 bhp @ 6000 rpm
Torque (SAE net): 162 lb-ft @ 4000 rpm

TRANSMISSIONS: 4-speed automatic with manumatic shifting, 5-speed manual

DIMENSIONS:
Wheelbase: 102.4 in Length: 167.3 in Width: 69.3 in
Height: 64.7 in Curb weight: 3100 lb

FUEL ECONOMY:
EPA city/highway driving: 22/28 mpg
Old 05-03-2007, 02:19 PM
5 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Why no interior dimensions yet? Has anyone seen them anywhere?

My impression based on sitting in the car in Chicago was that legroom was at best equal and headroom was down compared to the original xB. Shoulder room is definitely up, though.

Biggest change: the windows are much smaller, so the car feels much different inside.

I hope to get a bunch involved in my site's reliability research soon after they go on sale. If so, initial reliability results as early as November.
Old 05-03-2007, 04:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I was trying to like the styling, now the gas mileage is much worse than I thought, 22 city?

No thank you
Old 05-03-2007, 05:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by scottwood2
I was trying to like the styling, now the gas mileage is much worse than I thought, 22 city?

No thank you
4 less than the original, works for me!
Old 05-03-2007, 06:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by mkaresh
Why no interior dimensions yet? Has anyone seen them anywhere?

My impression based on sitting in the car in Chicago was that legroom was at best equal and headroom was down compared to the original xB. Shoulder room is definitely up, though.

Biggest change: the windows are much smaller, so the car feels much different inside.

I hope to get a bunch involved in my site's reliability research soon after they go on sale. If so, initial reliability results as early as November.
There have been posts--less leg room reported but more shoulder room.

Here is the post: https://www.scionlife.com/forums/vie...814&highlight=
Old 05-03-2007, 06:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

I drove the 2008 Xb in stick.
Here is my opinion.
A true tuners car.
Driving feel like a cross between an tC, civic Si, Suburbu WRX, and 1st Gen xB

comfort- 8.9
fun top drive- 9.3
engine - 9.0
Transmission -9.5
handling- 9.5
value - 8.5
safety- 9.5

I got pulled over on my first drive. The cop asked me all about the car, I did not get a ticket.

Scion really hit a home run.

Have a great day.
Omer Aslam.
Old 05-03-2007, 06:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Damn I knew this would happen! Now I gotta convince the wife we need 2 xb's
Old 05-03-2007, 08:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

OUCH, this sucks

FUEL ECONOMY:
Old 05-03-2007, 08:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Looney
OUCH, this sucks

FUEL ECONOMY:
These are the new 2008 standards, expect everyone's EPA numbers to go waaaay down next year.
Old 05-03-2007, 09:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

You can test drive a xB at a Scion Backstage events being held acosss the USA
http://www.scionbackstage.com/
Old 05-03-2007, 11:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Does anyone know if the new xb has rear individual suspension? Or is it the same as the first generation xb
Old 05-04-2007, 12:01 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i really don't care for it still... bigger engine, almost 700lbs heavier then the last model and really effects the mileage, it's look just isn't s appealing to me and it's gotten too big...

plus, for tuners, that mileage will be torne down ever worse then the original xB's being it's got the larger displacement and even more weight to pull. the roofing also looks even more top heavy. the rear has more weight on it which can lead to more rear side body roll on turns and it looks as if the front and rear fenders are now one huge piece... again *looks* to be.

"Driving feel like a cross between an tC, civic Si, Suburbu WRX, and 1st Gen xB"

if i wanted that i would have gone with a WRX STI and left the stock suspension alone for the same feel.

but ohwell, thats just my own thoughts, those who like and want and or are getting a trade in or buying a new one, good for you. i think it's just crap and i believe the xB1 will still be the leader of the two when it comes to the extreme mod's and tuners.
Old 05-04-2007, 12:30 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by scionofPCFL
Originally Posted by Looney
OUCH, this sucks

FUEL ECONOMY:
These are the new 2008 standards, expect everyone's EPA numbers to go waaaay down next year.
How does that suck? it's a much bigger engine (Same as the tC), and the car's much bigger than the tC. I'm happy to see those numbers.
Old 05-04-2007, 12:45 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

It's just not happening for me. I've been trying not to comment until I drive one at Scion Backstage. But it just seems to be too big a step away from small, lightweight, and FUN! The reasons I bought an XB.

Driving the XB reminds me of early Austin/Mini/MG type vehicles. Small, efficient with an overwhelming "personality." 2+ years of owning an XB and after parking it, I still turn around, look at it and smile. I'm not FEELING this with the new model.

I'm still looking forward seeing and driving the new model. But it sure isn't love at first sight like it was with the first gen XB.
Old 05-04-2007, 01:50 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

That new xB is ugly! I just can't believe they called it an xB...
Btw, what crappy gas mileage that thing gets, makes me LOVE my 1st Gen xB even more...
Old 05-04-2007, 02:20 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

So if you don't want one-hate it-think it's ugly, etc etc etc etc....why are you here?

Imagine the outcry if the people here interested in the 2nd gen xB started butting into threads in the 1st gen forum talking about the tippy little underpowered identity crisis mobile with all the insecure owners who have to resort to bashing the new car to allow themselves to be OK with have a gen 1 xB. These forums would be chaos.

That is, by the way, why they have rules against bashing and bad behavior here at SL.

Respect your 1st gen xB. They are cool little cars. No need to bash the new one at all.
Old 05-04-2007, 02:59 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Note to those who dislike the new xB; if you feel it is necessary to voice your opinion in the 2nd gen forums, please try to make an intelligent, lucid, well-explained lamentation, such as this:
Originally Posted by losmorob
It's just not happening for me. I've been trying not to comment until I drive one at Scion Backstage. But it just seems to be too big a step away from small, lightweight, and FUN! The reasons I bought an XB.

Driving the XB reminds me of early Austin/Mini/MG type vehicles. Small, efficient with an overwhelming "personality." 2+ years of owning an XB and after parking it, I still turn around, look at it and smile. I'm not FEELING this with the new model.

I'm still looking forward seeing and driving the new model. But it sure isn't love at first sight like it was with the first gen XB.
If you are incapable of that level of grace, please confine your ramblings to the 1st gen forums. We don't need ignorant, jealous people spewing hate from every orifice to try to make a SCION XB look bad just to satisfy their damaged egos. Here is an example of how NOT to complain:
Originally Posted by Metro273
That new xB is ugly! I just can't believe they called it an xB...
Btw, what crappy gas mileage that thing gets, makes me LOVE my 1st Gen xB even more...
Old 05-04-2007, 03:03 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Originally Posted by roXor_boXor

So if you don't want one-hate it-think it's ugly, etc etc etc etc....why are you here?

Imagine the outcry if the people here interested in the 2nd gen xB started butting into threads in the 1st gen forum talking about the tippy little underpowered identity crisis mobile with all the insecure owners who have to resort to bashing the new car to allow themselves to be OK with have a gen 1 xB. These forums would be chaos.

That is, by the way, why they have rules against bashing and bad behavior here at SL.

Respect your 1st gen xB. They are cool little cars. No need to bash the new one at all.
^^^Hmmm, someone's feelings got hurt... :D
Btw, when a topic is posted in ANY forum, it shows up on the homepage for everyone to see who is posting what and where. So guess what, I clicked on it and WHAM!, I decided to comment.
Is that OK with you???
If you have a problem with it, contact Darren...
Old 05-04-2007, 03:13 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Metro273
Originally Posted by roXor_boXor

^^^Hmmm, someone's feelings got hurt... :D
Btw, when a topic is posted in ANY forum, it shows up on the homepage for everyone to see who is posting what and where. So guess what, I clicked on it and WHAM!, I decided to comment.
Is that OK with you???
If you have a problem with it, contact Darren...
Wow, I am more than a decade younger than you and even I feel you need to grow up.
Old 05-04-2007, 03:33 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default HMM

Now I thought the new xb was nice but It has worse gas mileage than a tc wtf is up with that??? Isn't it lighter than the tc to hmm??? Any answers would be appreciated.

Quick Reply: First drive: Scion xB 2nd generation