Notices

Long-Term Test: 2008 Scion xB

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2009, 10:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Long-Term Test: 2008 Scion xB

Question: What do Fall Out Boy, Green Day, pro snowboarder/skateboarder Shawn White and the 2008 Scion xB have in common?

Answer: They all sold out and were massively successful because of it.

When the 2008 Scion xB debuted, replacing the first-generation xB that surprised us all with its boxy utility, those loyal to the Church of SCIONtology were aghast. The xB no longer looked like the box the Camry could be shipped in. Pieces of the exterior were rounded. The windshield wasn’t an old department store window. The interior layout proved tolerable for those born outside of Japan. The engine not only had power, but also featured cruise control.

The loyalists were mad. The 2008 Scion xB had sold out to mainstream sensibilities; it had become a real car.
http://scionnews.net/2009/01/23/long...2008-scion-xb/
Old 01-27-2009, 11:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

What a JOKE... The 2nd gen sold out... What about the xA and tC both are regular cars with scion badges...

I think the bigger problem is 1st gen owner getting their undies in a bunch cuz it shares the same name... It is bigger, stronger, better equiped...

I think older brother is just jealous cuz little bro is stealing his thunder...
Old 01-28-2009, 12:41 AM

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
TOCC

SL Member

some yes...but you got to change the body style every now and then to change the image..like the tC...its NEEDS a body change, not just headlights and tail lights.
Old 01-28-2009, 12:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

What a weird article. It's actually complimentary (unlike a lot of reviews that actually compare the two), but the "XB2 SOLD OUT ZOMG LET ME REFERENCE SOME BANDS!" lead totally doesn't fit the tone. I think that's selling out more than anything.

Also, I think the use of the term "sold out" is someone ironic in this case.

Regarding thunder stealing: as of last summer, the xB2 was still about 20% short of xB1 sales peaks, despite greater dealer inventory. The original model peaked at about 8000 units a month the summer before it was discontinued, and the data I have (through fall 200 shows xB2's only spiking at about 6000. A few months of slump could be explained as a learning curve, while the car-buying public catches on...but a year is a little harder to reconcile. I don't have any more current data than that.

Though there is that little matter of gen 1's selling at 80% of MSRP with 40K on them. The xB2 is a great little car, but I would think real hard before you decide if you want to participate in a popularity contest.

It was a somewhat bizarre move to launch the new vehicle under the same nameplate. When your cars can't even be classified in the same vehicle class, it's like...huh? The xB2 would get a lot more credit if it had simply been launched as another model.
Old 01-28-2009, 01:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

My fiance and I took an 09 XB for a drive and man the thing is fantastic, happened to take it when it was snowing out, roads were covered etc. Drove fine, no issues, ride was very smooth compared to my TC, had nice pic up. I actually liked it more than my TC and want to consider one for my next car when we start planning for kids(hey I need to retain that cool ride feel).

She absolutely LOVED IT, it was like a kid in a candy store. As she was driving it she had a smile on her face like the time I proposed to her. I thought the first gen seems a bit small for its britches, specially for its design, but the 2nd gen to me seems like a winner.
Old 01-28-2009, 02:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by ShaffNasty
What a JOKE... The 2nd gen sold out... What about the xA and tC both are regular cars with scion badges...

I think the bigger problem is 1st gen owner getting their undies in a bunch cuz it shares the same name... It is bigger, stronger, better equiped...

I think older brother is just jealous cuz little bro is stealing his thunder...
Undies in a bunch FTL
Old 01-28-2009, 02:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by ZOMGXB
It was a somewhat bizarre move to launch the new vehicle under the same nameplate. When your cars can't even be classified in the same vehicle class, it's like...huh? The xB2 would get a lot more credit if it had simply been launched as another model.
You think? I don't care if it was an Xc, Xz, etc... In the end, even with a different name, people would then say "An uglier version of the xB! LOLOLOL". Mark my words. People would STILL compare the vehicles because they are very similar. To me, they do look like the same type of vehicle... The shape is basically the same overall. I don't know, I just think even if it was launched as a different vehicle it would of got crap anyway, STILL comparing it to the xB.

I dunno, just what I think!
Old 01-28-2009, 03:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

My mom & sister each have a gen1 xB, I have a tC, and my fiance' recently bought an `09 xB, and while I still like the gen1 xB (that's what put Scion on the map), the gen2 xB is a significantly improved vehicle. It may not be the squared-off xB of days gone by, but it still has a significant element of "cool" to it. I'm seriously considering trading my tC for an xB2 myself.

What are the criteria for a "real car?" The xB1 is still cool, very "real", and in very high demand, but so is the xB2. Like the xB1, you get a whole heck of a lot of standard features from a sub-$20k car, but now in a more powerful and functional package. Funny thing is, xBs are still being purchased by people in a much higher age demographic than initially planned. I was able to convince my 53 y/o co-worker to buy an `09 xB a few weeks ago, and all he knew of the xB initially were the "boxy" xB1s that he saw around town. When he saw the xB2 and drove it, he was instantly sold on it and even added some accessories on it. He couldn't be happier and he would not have even given consideration to the xB1 if it were the current design.

Bottom line is that you cannot make everyone happy and people's opinions should be taken with a grain of salt. I see a tendency for the press to be more critical of Scions as it is.
Old 01-28-2009, 03:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well.... Metallica was the band that sold us out by doing music videos, maybe they ment that reference vs being a hot commodity and dealers having inventory problems?

Anyhoo, I dont care. I got an xb g2 and its WONDERFUL. It has more features and room than the camry and even includes the drivetrain for half the price.

Ok, the xa had the center dash, the xb was square, what the hell did the tc contribute to the line up?
Old 01-28-2009, 06:04 PM

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
TOCC

SL Member

tC is the only one not sold in japan....wierd.
Old 01-28-2009, 08:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Premium Member

Does this mean that Mustang II's are now to be considered "real" Mustangs?
Old 01-28-2009, 09:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^ It doesnt matter which mustang you are talking about... they are all fords...
Old 01-28-2009, 09:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

FYI, all the cars n trucks in japan are square.

Originally Posted by rallying_the_scion
tC is the only one not sold in japan....wierd.
Old 01-29-2009, 02:17 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

I honestly would have an xb2 right now if i wouldve known hey were coming out. I was deployed for 6months wanted a new care was lookign for the VW dealer. (wanted a gti) but found the toyota dealer. I was like oh yea i have always loved the tC. went in test drove one and fell in love. I wanted a black, white or flint mica and they had them in auto. The Azure pearl was the only 5spd. But anyways i have test drove the xb2 they are nice. I love all the room and the body style. I love my tC but if i wouldve done more research i wouldve waited.
Old 01-29-2009, 06:44 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Just because it is popular doesn't make it great.

Bush won two general elections,
Hannah Montana sells millions of albums, big whoop.

I'd rather have a car that is not seen everywhere.

The xb2 is very American: big, fast, comfortable, etc.
That is all great.

But I can't help but think that the 1 gens just look better, especially when it is modified.

There is one nice xb2 I've seen, its gold with big, black rims, other than that I don't like them.
Old 01-29-2009, 04:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

YOU LEAVE HANNAH MONTANA OUT OF THIS, SHE WORKS VERY HARD, I'LL HAVE YOU KNOW!

Originally Posted by Invertalon
Originally Posted by ZOMGXB
The xB2 would get a lot more credit if it had simply been launched as another model.
You think? I don't care if it was an Xc, Xz, etc... In the end, even with a different name, people would then say "An uglier version of the xB! LOLOLOL". Mark my words. People would STILL compare the vehicles because they are very similar. To me, they do look like the same type of vehicle... The shape is basically the same overall. I don't know, I just think even if it was launched as a different vehicle it would of got crap anyway, STILL comparing it to the xB.

I dunno, just what I think!
Actually, yes, I agree, comparison would be inevitable, even if the xB2 had been brought out under a different name (like "xL" ). They are both reasonably square, after all.

However, keep in mind: both xB's get compared to everything square, even if they're not even reasonably alike. How many ridiculous Element vs. HHR vs. xB vs. PT Cruiser comparisons have we seen? I'm waiting for someone to put xB against Flex. It's somewhat inevitable.

In any case, the vehicles are so radically different that I feel Scion could easily have sold them side-by-side without adversely affecting sales or the lineup. Like the Mini and the Mini Clubman...one of them is the Image Car, the other one is the Image Car on anabolic steroids. :D

Anyway, I have literally never met a single person who likes both the Gen 1 and the Gen 2...every one of my friends who has fallen in love with my box either found one used (2) or bought something altogether different (3). Two more are looking at Souls. Not a single one has considered the xB2.

Similarly, the one thing I hear about xB2 owners has already been said in this thread: "He never would have considered the first gen."

They're not even really in the same price class. The $15,500 I paid for my box is a far cry from your $18-$19K.

With just a little amount of brain activity, Toyota could very easily have made a killing on 1st-gen xB's (especially during the gas crisis, when even Hyundai was selling out of tiny cars), maintained its funky brand image, and still brought in new buyers with the great-value "real car" xB2: people who want great value, but don't want a go-kart (xB1) or a boring-___ snoozemobile (rest of Toyota lineup).

Maybe the xB3 will be something we ALL like.
Old 01-29-2009, 05:14 PM

ok basically allthe haters are the ones who are rockn a frist gen xb...and there just hating cause were bigger faster and well just in all better lookn...lol ...

but seriouslly i hated the first gen ...i was a huge domestic gu who only baought chevys and when the 2nd gen came out i said ehhh then i actually rode in one in the back seat ...not im 6'3'' and 280 lbs im a big guy ...and i was comfortable..so i said let me drive this thing and i did and i was like whoah...so i bought mine and now im rockn 20'' rims somethng you cant do on a 1st gen ..and im just living the high life lovn the car so to all yall haters out there get over it ...it was time for a change and i came ..so in 4 yrs when they decide to redo the xb ohh well ....im happy have fun with it ...and hell if it looks better the ni might buy one of those to...
Old 01-30-2009, 12:02 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If vw kept making diesels, I would soo own a golf. Then again with the use of low and ultra low sulfur fuel, it may of been a head ache, not to mention the price of fuel going through the roof with diesel taking the lead.

Thats one thing the first xb reminds me of, one of the first series of vw cars and trucks. The rabbit use to be called type 17 in product and had square corners. Only the van was slightly aerodynamic. They had quite a few of that time.

I have nothing against the xb and would of bought one vs my xa if they had a std model that wasnt riced out on the lot. Ive yet to sit in a xb, but if its anything like the g2 model, I would of been blown over. As is they came with vsc, the xa did not.

Anyway, scion needs to do with the line up like they do the special editions, limited production to turn a profit, then release the next model. There no gain in beating a dead horse.

I personally think making interchanagable bodies would be better like chrysler has for the neon, pt cruiser and a few other cars, so they can keep the same power trains. I think vw did the same with the bug, ghia-kurman and scrocco(SP?).

I just love the features, performance, economy of my gen 2 xb.
Old 01-30-2009, 08:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Although I give props to the 1st Gen XB for being unique, cheap and fun I still cannot see how ANYONE can think it looks better then the XB2.

Im sorry but in my opinion and just about everyone I run into the XB2 is so much better looking.

Here is how is goes usually

Me: oh yea I drive and XB
Someone: oh, yea I dont like those

Walk out to the car

Them: "ohhh is this the newer one? man this looks so much better then the old boxy junk"
Old 01-30-2009, 09:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by James_Bond
Although I give props to the 1st Gen XB for being unique, cheap and fun I still cannot see how ANYONE can think it looks better then the XB2.

Im sorry but in my opinion and just about everyone I run into the XB2 is so much better looking.

Here is how is goes usually

Me: oh yea I drive and XB
Someone: oh, yea I dont like those

Walk out to the car

Them: "ohhh is this the newer one? man this looks so much better then the old boxy junk"
Opinion?

My cousin and I laugh at fat xb2s when we see them.

Yeah, just opinion.

But they really are two different vehicles with the same badge,
its apples and oranges.

It's like comparing a Camry with a Yaris almost.

Quick Reply: Long-Term Test: 2008 Scion xB