Scionlife.com

Scionlife.com (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/)
-   Scion News Forum (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/scion-news-forum-2/)
-   -   Scion xP? P for Pickup, That Is... (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/scion-news-forum-2/scion-xp-p-pickup-105331/)

ack154 06-18-2007 07:34 PM

Scion xP? P for Pickup, That Is...

Autoblog has an article (from some other website) about a possible Scion pickup for 2010 partially based on the Fuse concept we all saw a while back.

http://www.pickuptruck.com/IMAGES/fu...010scionxp.jpg

http://www.autoblog.com/2007/06/18/2...ds-for-pickup/

Toyota is on a roll. It's the only manufacturer whose mid-size and full-size pickups sales volumes are both up in 2007. So how to keep the momentum going?

Word has it that Toyota is seriously thinking about giving its youth-oriented Scion brand a small two-door unibody pickup with design DNA based on the Scion Fuse sports coupe concept, seen earlier this year at the New York Auto Show.

The Scion xP runabout would join Scion's other cars - the xB, xD, and tC. The xP would be a stepping stone for Gen-Y buyers, who could move from the urban hipness of a Scion pickup into the larger utility of a Toyota Tacoma or Tundra as they start families and careers.

From the side, the pickup has a low, aggressive stance with a race helmet inspired wraparound window that provides a panoramic view. The visor-like windshield is balanced by strong C-pillars, adding a sense of security and protection.

The idea of a future Scion pickup with a high level of performance and additional hi-tech features just might see the light of day.

Power is provided by Scion's 161-hp/163 lb-ft 2.4-liter DOHC four banger. This fuel efficient engine offers plenty of kick for a two-person hauler. It's also plenty of fun, with a 5-speed manual transmission and 6,500-rpm redline.

And when the car is parked, you can sweep your foot over an infrared sensor in the rear bumper to activate the tailgate, which drops down and becomes a bench for sedentary friends. You'll need something to drink, so the rear console houses a detachable beverage cooler. This arrangement is paired with rear foldout speakers for an unexpected social environment.

The xP's base price would start around $12,000 - almost $1,500 less than a Ford Ranger.
Interesting though. As I commented on that page, I gave up a Ford Ranger for my tC (what a change!)... but did appreciate the convenience of having a bed to throw random stuff into. I'd really give something like this a look if thye were to pursue it.

What do you think?

L4rry_B1rd 06-18-2007 07:46 PM

Id rock one with some 22"s all day long...

toby3002 06-18-2007 07:47 PM

i'd jump on it! it looks awesome, and for around 12k, wow

superblue 06-18-2007 07:48 PM

i think its cool i would buy it.

L4rry_B1rd 06-18-2007 07:48 PM

http://www.pickuptruck.com/IMAGES/fu...010scionxp.jpg

CHPRBOX8 06-18-2007 08:00 PM

if it will look something like the rendering i will defently buy that and keep my box :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love:

ack154 06-18-2007 08:03 PM

Ya, I'm thinking 2010 would be right about the time I'd consider giving up my tC. Unless Scion comes out with something super nice for the tC redesign coming up next year.

Subcompact Culture 06-18-2007 08:03 PM

I think it's pretty cool, actually (as long as it's RWD and not an FWD product).

The entry-level truck segment is being ignored. Gone are the compact S-10, B2200, Toyota Pikcup, Nissan Hardbody, and Ranger. The Ranger is still around (not for much longer though), The Chevy Colorado is probably the next smallest, but it's still big.

This looks like it'd be more of a sports truck than a work vehicle, though.

nikbrewer 06-18-2007 08:05 PM

they stole the grill shap from a new audi, then just squared the corners

ToyoXrsPl 06-18-2007 08:06 PM

Renderin looks pretty cool, I just hope they'd stay close to it and keep the look of Scion.

ack154 06-18-2007 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by nikbrewer
they stole the grill shap from a new audi, then just squared the corners

Have you seen the Fuse concept they're taking about? They're not "stealing" anything... it's just an adapted design from the original concept. There are only so many ways you can draw something like that before it looks like 15 other vehicles.

squidboy 06-18-2007 08:13 PM

shades of the Subaru Brat or Dodge Rampage. Or go back another generation to the El Camino and Ranchero - 2 seater cars with a bed in the back. This looks cooler than all of them - would definitely consider!

ack154 06-18-2007 08:17 PM

After thinking about it... there's one thing I want to know:

Can I autocross it?!

:)

midtowndesi 06-18-2007 08:17 PM

that is gorgeous. where do i sign up for one?

i live in the city and i prolly even use the pickup bed! hahaha... but it stills looks rather hawt ;]
- sh00k

seXAan 06-18-2007 08:20 PM

A Scion truck eh? I like it! It looks a little like that chevy thing that came out a few years ago...... But better. With the quality of the new Tundra and the styling of a Scion I think this could be HUGE.

TheQuietThings 06-18-2007 08:31 PM

wow i would really love to see a scion pickup

cherryBox 06-18-2007 08:39 PM

yep, id rock that for sure. somehow, it brings back something that was lost when they kidnapped the xB and gave us this soccer-mom van instead.

bBlover 06-18-2007 08:40 PM

oohh

doctorcue 06-18-2007 08:48 PM

Bada**!! I would totally replace my current xB with one of those. Oh the possibilities!!

CBSIMONSEZ 06-18-2007 09:06 PM

Love the idea ... not a big fan of the nose. I dont think that they would offer a hood scoop on it either. But Ohhhhhhhhhh the possibilities. Im thinking that lime green with a nice white oak bed ... marine speakers and a nice set of 20s in a 5 spoke design.

Lots of peeps did say they wanted the 4th Scion to be a pick'em up truck. Looks like they may get their wish.