Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2006, 01:59 AM
Founder
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Default Toyota Camry Hybrid Green Car of the Year

Source: AutoBlog

The onslaught of COTY awards continues, and the Toyota Camry Hybrid can add another trophy to the case after being named 2007 Green Car of the Year yesterday on the last day of the 2006 LA Auto Show. The Camry Hybrid and its purely petrol sister car also won Motor Trend's golden calipers earlier this month.

Sponsored by Green Car Journal, the GCOTY award is voted on by four of the magazine's editors and a host of outside judges including none other than the guru of gasoline, Carroll Shelby. Other cars in contention included the Honda Civic GX, Lexus LS450H, Mercedes-Benz E320 Bluetec and Saturn Vue Green Line. AutoblogGreen was on hand during the press conference and learned from one of the judges that the Camry Hybrid's mainstream appeal was a big factor in the decision. This was the second time Green Car Journal has given the award, with last year's inaugural CGOTY award going to Mercury Mariner Hybrid.

The award was accepted by Ed La Rocque, Toyota's national car marketing manager, who immediately dedicated the award to Dave Hermance, Toyota's lead engineer on hybrid projects who died in a private plane crash less than a week ago.
Old 12-02-2006, 03:07 PM
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member
N.G.S.O.

That's cool. Incidentally, the Mariner Hybrid uses Toyota's old hybrid technology. So that's cool, too.

So sorry to hear about the engineer who died, though. My thoughts go out.
Old 12-03-2006, 01:25 AM
5 Year Member

The new Camry is by far the coolest Camry ever in my opinion. Decent styling (although the nose took a while to grow on me) and the interior is comfy. I've got a few friends with them and they dig. Bringing hybirds to the mainstream seems logical...we've had few problems with them

Mark
Old 12-03-2006, 09:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

the bluetooth in my dad's is finicky.... it has good pick-up, (well compared to my xB and rolla) but the v6 (like accord's hybrid) is probably more powerful.... o well
Old 12-04-2006, 02:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

I can't wait til my fam gets ours. I test drove a Super white one a month or two ago and I fell in it was LOADED. The one I'm gettin will be without leather though. And in Blue Ribbon Metallic. I'm excited to get it! RIP to that engineer!!
Old 12-09-2006, 06:10 PM
5 Year Member

thoughts go out to the poor engineer that past away...

but props to the car :D