10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Toyota: Carmakers challenge is make big cars gas-efficient

Bon
Allscion -- an e-commerce website with news and accessories for your Scions
http://www.allscion.com/store

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/ap/fn/4719692.html

DETROIT — Automotive engineers will be under great pressure in the near future to come up with ways to make large cars more fuel efficient for the North American market, according to a top Toyota official.

David Baxter, senior executive administrator at the Toyota Technical Center in Ann Arbor, said Monday that North American consumers prefer larger vehicles, and it's up to engineers to figure out how to satisfy their wants with new technologies.

"Especially in North America, people like the size of their vehicles, and there's going to be a lot of pressure to maintain the size for safety and improve fuel economy," Baxter said in an interview at the Society of Automotive Engineers annual convention in downtown Detroit.

He predicted that consumers likely will switch buying habits in the next decade to vehicles that get better gas mileage and have more safety features.

"But that doesn't necessarily mean they're all going to be hybrids or all small cars, either," he said. ..

Baxter said the company already employs about 780 people in the Ann Arbor area and is hiring another 400 engineers. The new center ultimately will focus on developing vehicles unique to North America, while existing operations will continue work on powertrains, parts and materials evaluation and other research, Baxter said.

The new facility will support Toyota's growth expected in North America over the next several years, he said.
Old 04-17-2007, 06:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I wish there was a way to force people off big, wasteful vehicles (when they don't use the utlity offered by them).

But then again, I won't say that because I believe you have the right to drive it if you want - this is America, after all.

Regardless, there is a rather easy solution to this problem - diesels, like Bluetec diesels. Bingo, done.
Old 04-22-2007, 07:36 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
teamNJCT
Fresh Crew
SL Member

Originally Posted by paul34
I wish there was a way to force people off big, wasteful vehicles (when they don't use the utlity offered by them).

But then again, I won't say that because I believe you have the right to drive it if you want - this is America, after all.

Regardless, there is a rather easy solution to this problem - diesels, like Bluetec diesels. Bingo, done.
90's advertisement pushed towards bigger vehicles, basically brainwashing American society into thinking they needed a bigger more power vehicle because it's safer.
Old 04-22-2007, 02:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yea, it is ashame that so many Americans buy huge vehicles when they don't need them. It seems like there is some rule book that as soon as you have a kid, you have to have an SUV.

The roads and parking lots are clogged up with behemoth vehicles. I would be so much nicer driving in parking lots if the big trucks and SUVs weren't around.

If the government would simply make trucks and SUVs meet the same mpg standards and have the same gas guzzler tax, sales of behemoths would probably be hit substantially.

If engineers do manage to make behemoths more fuel efficient, it is either going to be very expensive, or they could make the small cars even more fuel efficient with the same technologies. They still aren't going to break the laws of physics. Small cars should be much more efficient than behemoths.
Old 04-22-2007, 07:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
teamNJCT
Fresh Crew
SL Member

The funny thing is, they all buy them to feel safer...well if every vehicle on the road is a SUV, then getting into an accident is no safer than when they used to drive a smaller vehicle. Hummer hitting a Ford Exploder is gonna be a lot worse than a Honda Accord hitting a Toyota Camry.
Old 04-25-2007, 03:01 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

BUT you don't always hit another car.

Bigger is safer.
Old 04-25-2007, 04:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by CarbonXe
The funny thing is, they all buy them to feel safer...well if every vehicle on the road is a SUV, then getting into an accident is no safer than when they used to drive a smaller vehicle. Hummer hitting a Ford Exploder is gonna be a lot worse than a Honda Accord hitting a Toyota Camry.
Yup, and this is exactly the problem. At one time, someone convinced people they needed a lot of steel to keep them safe.

Now, guess what? They've made it true. Now that there are so many 4,000+ monsters on the road, you actually don't have a good chance as a drive of a smaller vehicle.

Most people will say at this point "zomg but wut about ur spotrs carz lolz omgz" Different purpose. They're not even driven everyday; sports cars are made to go fast, and aren't rude to other people (blocking other people's vision, taking up wayyy more space than necessary, etc).

SUVs? No one really knows what they're supposed to be for except for being really big, and really heavy. True offroaders get hardcore Jeep Wranglers and the like (these are larger vehicles I have *no* problem with).

I still don't understand the purpose of Yukons, Suburbans, Escalades, F250s used for leisure/personal vehicle purposes, etc.

If everyone drove smaller cars, then there'd be no danger in driving a smaller vehicle.