Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2006, 06:54 PM
Former Sponsor
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Toyota eyes Nascar America

Paul
Allscion -- an e-commerce Website with news and accessories for your Scion vehicles
http://www.allscion.com/store

http://money.cnn.com/2006/02/17/comm...tsbiz/?cnn=yes

Toyota has already been advertising on Nascar races -- it has two new commercials debuting during this weekend's race. And it has been participating in Nascar's Craftsman Truck series for the past three seasons, but that circuit is still minor league compared to Nascar's Nextel Cup circuit, which it will join next year. Nascar is the nation's No. 2 spectator sport behind football. ...

Even GM admits that the move should give Toyota access to some car buyers who weren't looking at the brand in the past.
Old 02-18-2006, 07:14 PM
jct
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i can't wait till they rule nascar, and have the big 3 complain about how they winning all the races and ban toyota 7 years down the line i wouldn't be surprized
Old 02-18-2006, 09:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hummm....Not a big NASCAR fan here, kinda disappointed in Toyota. My main beef with NASCAR is that rules were set up long ago to keep one manufacturer from getting a leg up on another. So all the cars had to be rear wheel drive etc...even carbed as I remember 10 years or so back. Even then there were not "stock" cars that had carbs. These are "stock car" races and should be raced by cars actually available on the dealer's lot in a milder form. Ford has been racing a Taurus...the two door RWD version, yeah, right. At least with the truck series, the basic layout was the same.

Sorry, just MHO, NASCAR fans. For me, tho, it's WRC! They make LEFT turns too!
Old 02-18-2006, 09:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

the rules are kinda crappy...they should be more creative in ways to make the car itself better...not just pay the best driver to drive the car.
Old 02-19-2006, 07:22 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If you want creative watch F1. The racing sucks but engineering is amazing, its very creative and hugely expensive. The best driver in the worst car will still finish last and the worst driver in the best car will probably still finish at the top.

NASCAR doesnt race stock cars anymore because its not safe. Just look at the crashes and serious injuries and death from racing 30 years ago. Cars now are faster and more powerful. Better tires and engines allow for things that you could never even imagine then.

Id rather watch competive anything. Nobody watches any 1 sided sport for long. So allowing for anyone to dominate is just bad business for the entire sport.
Old 02-19-2006, 06:43 PM
Founder
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

It would be nice if there was a true STOCK car racing series. Nascar just doesn't do anything for me. It's like professional wrestling or monster trucks. Oh well. It DOES sell cars, so it makes sense for Toyota to get involved. Maybe I will actually watch a race or two.
Old 02-19-2006, 07:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

closest you will come to stock racing is probably touring cars. its just a safety thing. give that a shot its good racing.
Old 02-20-2006, 09:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

i cant wait til everyone leaves f1 and makes there own league. nascar = eh. i do think toyota is gonna embarass them. u think they need drivers?
eh hem!
:D