Notices

Toyota to leave GM in Rearview Mirror

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2005, 07:15 PM

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Toyota to leave GM in Rearview Mirror

According to the article below, Toyota will replace GM as the #1 car manufacturer in the world next year:

http://money.cnn.com/2005/10/26/news...reut/index.htm

TOKYO (Reuters) - Toyota Motor Corp. will raise vehicle output by 11 percent next year, unseating General Motors Corp. as the world's biggest manufacturer of automobiles, a Japanese newspaper reported Wednesday.

Toyota, whose profits and market value already dwarf those of its rivals, plans to raise group output to more than 9.2 million vehicles worldwide in 2006, or nearly 1 million more than its projection for 2005, business daily Nihon Keizai said.

Excluding minivehicle and truck units Daihatsu Motor Co. and Hino Motors Ltd., Toyota's own-brand production will rise 12 percent to 8.3 million units next year, the newspaper said without citing sources.

A Toyota official said the company had not yet finalized its production plans for next year.

But one analyst said it was feasible given the pace of Toyota's expansion plans.

"Given additional production and domestic and overseas plants that are scheduled to go on stream in FY2006/07 (ending March 2007), global production of about 8.3 million units can be reached," Merrill Lynch auto analyst Tatsuo Yoshida said in a note to clients.

Helped by a reputation for building reliable and fuel-efficient vehicles, Toyota is picking up market share from loss-riddled GM (Research) in the U.S. company's home market.

The Detroit giant's market share for October looks set to fall to a 25-year low of about 20.5 percent, according to New York-based Deutsche Bank analyst Rod Lache.

Toyota had 13.4 percent of the U.S. market in September, more than Chrysler's 13.2 percent and up from 11.3 percent a year earlier, while GM's share fell to 25.9 percent from 31.7 percent.

Like Toyota, GM has not announced production plans for 2006.

But Japan's top auto manufacturer has said the group aims to sell 8.5 million vehicles in calendar 2006, which would likely keep it as the world's second-biggest seller of automobiles behind the GM group.

Sales and production figures can differ widely depending on how much inventory an auto manufacturer and its dealers hold.

In the first nine months of this year, the Toyota group built 6,124,434 vehicles worldwide.

GM produced an estimated 6,718,000 units during that period, and sold 7,066,774 vehicles, up 3.7 percent from the same period last year.

For all of 2005, GM has forecast global production of 9,115,000 vehicles.

The Detroit-based auto manufacturer has been cutting back production at home to whittle down its bloated inventory, but it is expanding rapidly in China, where it is set to overtake Volkswagen AG as the No. 1 brand this year.

Race in China
Toyota, whose market capitalization of $160 billion is almost 10 times that of GM's, is racing to catch up with GM and others in China, while also planning increased capacity in North America as well as in Russia and other fast-growing emerging markets.

On top of a fifth plant due to start production in China next year, Toyota said Wednesday it was preparing to set up a sixth car factory in the northeastern city of Tianjin with local partner FAW to build about 200,000 compact cars a year starting in mid-2007, pending government approval.

Toyota, which was late to enter the hot Chinese car market, is targeting a 10 percent share by 2010 with a full line of products, including its imported premium Lexus vehicles and the Prius hybrid to be built locally by the FAW-Toyota venture.

Globally, Toyota has set a goal of boosting market share to 15 percent and annual revenues to ¥20 trillion ($173.7 billion) in the medium term.

Toyota is due to announce production and sales plans for 2006 in December.

Subsidiaries Daihatsu and Hino have not solidified plans for 2006, but they will likely raise combined production next year from the 890,000 units projected for this calendar year, supported by brisk domestic demand, the Nihon Keizai reported.

In July, Toyota revised up its own-brand global output forecast to 7.39 million vehicles for this year, up 10 percent from 2004, while increasing its group-wide output plan to 8.28 million units, up 9.7 percent.

The revision came after the maker of the Prius hybrid car announced strong growth in global output for the first six months of the year, driven by healthy domestic and U.S. sales.

With rival Nissan Motor Co.'s chief executive Carlos Ghosn turning bearish on the U.S. market recently, one fund manager said Toyota could emerge as the sole winner after a solid streak at all of Japan's top auto manufacturers.

"Japanese auto makers have had to grab market share from GM or Ford, but that's coming to a limit and now they have to steal share from each other," said Akio Yoshino, a fund manager at Societe Generale Asset Management. "So far, Toyota is winning."

Shares in Toyota ended up 1.96 percent at ¥5,210 and Daihatsu rose 0.71 percent to ¥1,137. Hino was up 0.85 percent at ¥713.
Old 10-26-2005, 07:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I am soooo not suprised.
Old 10-26-2005, 08:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team Sushi
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scion Evolution

I really like looking at TMC from a business standpoint.

The article mentions how Toyota fares against GM, Chrysler, and even Nissan. But I personaly see GM and Honda as being the main competition (business wise). You don't really see a lot of strategy comparisons between Toyota and Honda. And I'm also curious how Honda's numbers stack up. I know the Honda line as a whole does well, but they have no truck sales (yay Tacoma). And Acura is a mid-level luxury company. I'm not sure if their volume is higher or lower, since they don't hold a candle to premium brands, but are technically more competitive, value wise.
Old 10-26-2005, 08:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^^^

Honda Ridgeline?
Old 10-26-2005, 08:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

still no comparison to the sales of a Tacoma from what I've seen...
Old 10-26-2005, 09:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

I really like the automobiles toyota is putting out. I just hope this doesn't mean their will be a quality issue if they start building the cars here in the US.
Old 10-26-2005, 10:18 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default yuck

Honda Ridgeline.... YUCK that shiznit is soo freakin ugly. its just Junk IMO. WHY would anybody buy that over a Tacoma.. i mean seriously..
Old 10-26-2005, 11:04 PM
Banned
SL Member

Im not a big fan of trucks but, if i was going to buy a truck it wouldnt be a ridgeline or a tacoma. I would buy a Titan or an F150.
Old 10-26-2005, 11:07 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

^ obviously all that record spinning has made him delirious
Old 10-26-2005, 11:44 PM
Xen
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by Box666
I really like the automobiles toyota is putting out. I just hope this doesn't mean their will be a quality issue if they start building the cars here in the US.
I wouldnt tihnk the quality would go down at all....Toyota already produces i beleive the camry and solora(same platform) here in the US...correct me if im wrong about that....and im possitive they produce cars in cananda for the US market...IE my Matrix XRS was produced in canada(sure it's not the US but it's close )
Old 10-27-2005, 12:04 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Originally Posted by DJHypnotic
Im not a big fan of trucks but, if i was going to buy a truck it wouldnt be a ridgeline or a tacoma. I would buy a Titan or an F150.
Nissan Titan...
Old 10-27-2005, 12:26 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Box666
I think thats a big issue. More volume means more people and parts to make sure they all work as designed. It just becomes harder to make sure you have all the right people in place. Im pretty sure if they want to build more cars they need more US plants which means more new suppliers to work with. It is possible to grow too big and just run out of capible people.

I dont think the Honda Ridgeline is even close to a truck. It sure doesnt compete very well in truck like things. Its a truck for people who really need a car but think they need a truck.
Old 10-27-2005, 12:30 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by mfbenson
^^^

Honda Ridgeline?
nice vehicle, but still no truck...
Old 10-27-2005, 01:38 AM
Admin Emeritus

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Honda Ridgeline: The truck for people who don't like trucks.

Old 10-27-2005, 03:23 AM
Max
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Originally Posted by Metro273
Nissan Titan...
I work with a guy with a Titan, and he hates it. 9 mpg sucks unless you drive a semi.
Old 10-27-2005, 03:46 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by djct_watt

The article mentions how Toyota fares against GM, Chrysler, and even Nissan. But I personaly see GM and Honda as being the main competition (business wise). You don't really see a lot of strategy comparisons between Toyota and Honda. And I'm also curious how Honda's numbers stack up. I know the Honda line as a whole does well, but they have no truck sales (yay Tacoma). And Acura is a mid-level luxury company. I'm not sure if their volume is higher or lower, since they don't hold a candle to premium brands, but are technically more competitive, value wise.
Actually Honda is really sruggling to stay alive.
Old 10-27-2005, 04:24 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team Sushi
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by CatalepsicFox

Actually Honda is really sruggling to stay alive.
I know they are strong in Asia. . . I'm currently doing research. But, I know that they spend a rediculous amount on R&D that is pointless and has no profit potential. . . like AsSimo.
Old 10-27-2005, 04:26 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team Sushi
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by mfbenson
^^^

Honda Ridgeline?
The Ridgeline is a joke. . . and its sales proves it. The only people who'd buy it would be hippie Ben and Jerry Ice Cream shop owners who need a light duty commercial duty, and want to make the world eat soylent green and smoke illegal substances.
Old 10-27-2005, 04:38 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team Sushi
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by Metro273
Originally Posted by DJHypnotic
Nissan Titan...
The Titan is a great truck, but for some reason, sales still don't match the Tundra. The Tundra sells because of reputation and build quality. Even though the Titan may be a better truck, the excecution (from the marketing and sales side) is VERY poor. That and they cheaped out on their interiors a bit.

But people who buy Toyota buy for the reputation of durability. . . which is what a lot of truck owners look for (and is a reputation that Ford trucks OWN). But the Tundra does lack in truckness. Even though the Titan excels in every area that the Tundra fails, I think that it just can't get past the image it carries. . . and it also helps that Toyota has established itself with the Tacoma. But who knows, maybe Titan sales will overtake the Tundra (or already have?). It's quite possible.

But with the redesign of the Tundra. I think the Titan, as well as just about every full sized truck on the market, will be hurting big time.

IMO The current area where Toyota is not dominating (at the moment). . .
1. Heavy duty/full sized trucks, including SUV's.
2. Sports/sporty vehicles (it's a crowded market, and not very profitable)
3. Mid-level luxury sports sedans (BMW still owns)
4. Super luxury (AMG, M, Benz, Maybach, Bentley, still own).
5. High performance vehicles (it's a super crowded market, and with the new C6, good luck to any manufacturer on providing a better bargain).[/list]
Old 10-27-2005, 02:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The Ridgeline is a joke. . . and its sales proves it.
Never said it wasn't. But however pathetic its sales are, its better than "No sales", which seemed to be your contention about Honda's entry into the truck market.

I think maybe "No profit" would have been a more accurate statement.

Quick Reply: Toyota to leave GM in Rearview Mirror