10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Toyota Sept. sales down 0.6% from '06 but upbeat about Fall

Bon
Allscion -- an e-commerce website with news and accessories for your Scions
http://www.allscion.com/store

http://www.autospectator.com/cars/mo...ber-2007-sales
Oct. 2 /PRNewswire/ -- Toyota Motor Sales (TMS), U.S.A., Inc., today reported September sales of 213,043 vehicles, a decrease of 0.6 percent from a best-ever September 2006. Calendar-year-to-date (CYTD) sales total 2,001,646 units, up 3.8 percent over the same period last year.

"Given September's economic headwind, the industry saw a fair month," said Jim Lentz, TMS executive vice president. "The fall selling season is likely to benefit from increased stabilization and modest gains."
Old 10-03-2007, 03:24 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

What's up w/Scion ? They have not had a sales increase for three months even after introducing two new vehicles?
Old 10-03-2007, 04:21 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

well... i thought they cut production on scions to make them more exclusive? or something.
Old 10-03-2007, 04:47 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

OK, I read that too but the YTD numbers show 139595 LY vehicles vs. 100656 this year . A decrease of nearly 30%.
I thought the idea was to limit sales to about LY levels, not decrease them.
Old 10-03-2007, 06:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I don't know why more people don't buy Scions. They are really good cars for the money.
Old 10-03-2007, 07:24 PM
5 Year Member

Yeah I have to agree with that. The showroom traffic has slowed to a crawl and its strange not to see people at least browsing...I've heard lots of different reasons for this but none that beats the economy. So far thats the only solid idea as to why its like this right now.
Old 10-03-2007, 11:49 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

From what I can see, sales are down in general. I can understand a few manufacturers gaining ground, but that is to be expected. Afteral...in terms of overall numbers, Toyota only went down .6% not even a whole 1 percent. As for Scion... we will pick up soon enough. The goal for the district that I belong to was surpassed. That's a good sign.
Old 10-04-2007, 06:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Maybe price.
Old 10-04-2007, 09:39 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I think toyota just needs some excitement.

and I also think scion is in a phase. an awkward stage. like the 80s. the two new cars just arent "scionlike" to me.
Old 10-05-2007, 04:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

YTD numbers are low because the 1st gen xB and xA had stopped production and there were not many remaining at the begining of the year. The 2nd gen xB did not start selling until 5 months in and the xD did not go on sale until 8 months in.
Old 10-05-2007, 05:04 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

OK, but check the last three months only on the new XB . They have yet to beat LY . In Sept the XB was down 9% ( while Toyota was down only .6% overall )
Even the TC which has seen no changes is off nearly 24%.

That doesn't look like " model changeover " slippage to me.
Old 10-05-2007, 09:33 PM

price =[
Old 10-06-2007, 02:30 AM
SL Member

They knock about 1 to 1.5k off the sticker of the new xB and I bet you'll see them flying off the lot. As is it is almost selling as well as the tC so I suppose that's good.

I understand they added a lot, but the price was one of the huge things people loved about the first xB too, and it's almost as much as a tC now, so I think it just scared some people off.
Old 10-07-2007, 03:01 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I would say it's also because of Scion. For those who doesn't have Scions, and was thinking of getting one isn't going anywhere near the new xB and xD. tC is pretty much ruined too.
Old 11-10-2007, 03:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Toyota put a lot of assets (staff and resources) to the Tundra launch. The last real area of expansion in the US market. The little deviant campaign was not a master idea for marketing either. I have seen a dramatic increase in focus and dealer support in my region. The marketing needs to done on both a National and regional/local effort. Assets are going in the right places NOW. My showroom traffic has increased after our local SCION DEALER GROUP did a Halloween Block party (1500 +) people attended. Mostly LSU students. 4 Bands and a special event permit from the City of Baton Rouge (to hold this event outside, in our historic downtown area, a few blocks from the Mississippi River) this was accomplished with the aid of assets and support from our region (GST).

The new products will have to be and I hate to use this term, marketed, b/c we are not getting the press we did when the brand was the “new kid on the block”. The current packaging on the tC great (subwoofer, projector headlights, ipod and curtain/side airbags.) The new xB is powerful and roomy, sorry that you have to put a little more love into tricking it out, unlike the first generation, where all you had to do was drop it and put some wheels on the box. What the car will do is get out of it’s own way and ride great at a 100 in a five speed without whining loader than the stereo. The xD vs the xA, no comparison. I mean the xD is really a fantastic vehicle tuned. We are a BRAND. The other manufacturers are watching us closely. It would be nice to have something with some real power like a 3.5l v6 on a rear wheel drive platform, but it would have be very no frills to keep the price in check!!! Hint Hint Torance!!!
Old 11-13-2007, 07:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

sales always slow down once the kiddies go back to school. Last month was a REALLY slow month here. The boys that usually knock down 20 a month were only hitting 15. I got out of sales when I did because I was struggling to make the kind of money that I wanted to make. I hadn't sold a single Scion in 3 months. The Scion line is full with great switch cars... Why buy a Corolla when you could get an xD and have power options, abs, side curtains, nicer radio? OR Corolla S vs TC? OR younger folks looking for a Matrix or Rav4, throw them in a xB... Its worked before... but I haven't seen the new Scions moving much at all. The general concencus on the xD is that its ugly.