Washington Post praises Yaris as "snappy"

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2006, 02:28 PM
Former Sponsor
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Washington Post praises Yaris as "snappy"

It will be interesting to see how this affects Scion, especially the xA.

Paul

Allscion -- an e-commerce Website with news and accessories for your Scion vehicles
http://www.allscion.com/store

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...030201064.html
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...030201146.html

The Yaris, completely redone for 2007, built on a slightly larger platform than its Yaris-Echo predecessor, fits that mold. It's cute inside and out, especially in sedan form. The body is tight, rigid. The suspension -- with independent McPherson struts and L-arms and coil springs up front and a torsion beam in the rear -- produces ride and handling that border on sporty. Even at highway speeds, the little car has gutsy acceleration and remarkably good road manners.

But the most appealing thing about the Yaris is the car's overall attention to detail, especially in the interior, which is dominated by an appealing center console stack that can support an iPod, MP3 player or other electronic and information gizmos.
Old 03-05-2006, 03:41 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I think the reason someone would go with the xA is for the younger appeal and custimization... So I doubt that it will have much of an effect.

Unless people were merely purchasing the xA for the price and no add-ons...
Old 03-05-2006, 04:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Scikotics
SL Member

The Yaris is going to serve a very practical purpose, it will appeal to those who really want a cheap car .. So many times people come to our dealership asking us to strip down an xA just to get it under 13K. I'm glad we can't do that and I'm glad it will take the cheapo's eyes off the Scions ..
Old 03-05-2006, 06:07 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

i personally think it's gonna impact the xA a lot. Most of the xA buyers that we get aren't x y gen kids. most x y gen kids shy away from the xA. i think the buyers for the yaris are going to be the same people buying the xA now.
Old 03-05-2006, 10:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I don't think the Yaris will affect xA sales. We are getting the 3,4 doors while some would like 5-doors. Some of us would like a softer, quieter ride than the xA. If the Yaris delivers then xA sales may go down. However, there are a lot of standard stuff on the xA compared to the Yaris.

BTW, is the 3-door Yaris made at Toyota's plant in France?
Old 03-06-2006, 12:17 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i think the xa will be affected greatly. you can haggle with toyota but not with scion. moreover, the yaris has a newness look to it and very euro looking. most gen x-yers are into xb and tc. the figures are in the sale. i wouldn't be surprised if the xa would be axed or move upmarket as a bigger vehicle. the only reason i see the xa might stay is whether americans would want a 5-door hatchback since the yaris only comes in 3-door hatch and 4-door sedan here. the rest of the world gets the 5-door hatch and they don't have the xa to contend with. keep my fingers crossed.

if the yaris comes here in 5-door guise, i would have gotten the yaris instead of the xa.
Old 03-07-2006, 04:22 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I believe that well all know, or should know that the yaris has bigger aftermarket support. I like that . With a little decryption of japanese code, and a linguist IST parts could be sourced beyond the normal offerings, but not as easy as the yaris. Either way they are both toyotas. Just my flavor, but i could not stand the scion badges all over my car, knowing well that scion was not the origin, the IST was. Just stating the known, before someone tells me they know this. I like the the yaris, either way they are both toyotas.
Old 03-07-2006, 04:54 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by octagon
Just my flavor, but i could not stand the scion badges all over my car, knowing well that scion was not the origin, the IST was. Just stating the known, before someone tells me they know this. I like the the yaris, either way they are both toyotas.
Nothing that some dental floss and Goo-gone can't fix, smart guy...

The Yaris is neat and all, but I can't imagine one actualy looking as bada$$ as some of the better xA's and xB's out there. Too bulbous, wheel wells too small, kinda Rubbermaid on the inside.
It's cool to have them around tho, especially if the 1.8 option can be shoehorned in a Scion
Old 03-07-2006, 06:00 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

those who liked the Vitz and yaris oversears are going to love this car...who hasnt raced a vitz as a starter car on gran turismo
Old 03-07-2006, 11:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

goo gone and dental floss did fix that, now im trying to get a replacement for the steering wheel. Thanks
Old 03-08-2006, 04:29 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Boxer_Rebellion
Originally Posted by octagon
Just my flavor, but i could not stand the scion badges all over my car, knowing well that scion was not the origin, the IST was. Just stating the known, before someone tells me they know this. I like the the yaris, either way they are both toyotas.
Nothing that some dental floss and Goo-gone can't fix, smart guy...

The Yaris is neat and all, but I can't imagine one actualy looking as bada$$ as some of the better xA's and xB's out there. Too bulbous, wheel wells too small, kinda Rubbermaid on the inside.
It's cool to have them around tho, especially if the 1.8 option can be shoehorned in a Scion
ORLY?!?!?!

The IST aint got nothin on the yaris/Vitz