Notices
Scion tC 1G Aero & Exterior Aero parts and exterior dress items...

Brand new OEM hood or touchup paint????

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2007, 08:34 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Brand new OEM hood or touchup paint????

Well i was driving on the 60E freeway when these small rocks hit me and it left two minor scratches on my hood near the headlights. it's not VERY noticable but it did get thru the paint and is exposing a tiny tiny bit of metal otherwise the hood is fine...

anyways i found a person selling a basicly brand new perfect condition hood for $100 and was thinking of buying that and replacing my current hood right now but would i be able to get anythign for my old hood???

or should i spend like $50 buying touchup paint, rubbing compound and all other things nessesary to attempt to fix it myself...
Old 03-07-2007, 08:40 PM
SL Member

Sorry to hear about your hood, i have 2 scratches on my side door as well and they are so annoying ....anyways id go with the hood personally....from what ive heard touchup paint....unless you know how to do it, does nothing but make the mark more noticable....but thats just me
Old 03-07-2007, 08:47 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

the only thing keeping me from jumping on this deal is the person lives pretty far liek 2 hours away... wow i really don;t know what to do...
Old 03-07-2007, 08:49 PM
SL Member

Lol 2 hours really isnt that far....if you havnt used touch up paint before i dont reccomend it....and think....youd pretty much have a brand new hood
Old 03-07-2007, 08:55 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

lol i guess ur right but damn its just i hate the idea of these things being so damn unavoidable i mean whats to stop another rock form hitting my new hood... clear bras are just so expensive right now too... and leather bras are so ugly, i mean i'm not about to put dead animal on my car...

i bought touchup paint before and somehow it turned out darker than my current color even tho it was the correct color code... iono maybe i wait till it gets really bad and i repaint the whole damn hood...
Old 03-07-2007, 08:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well I say as long as you have a backup option, you should at least TRY to touch up your hood. You don't need to go overboard - the touchup paint and rubbing compound will come to far less than $50. I spent about $15 to get everything I needed to touch up some scratches and chips on my Echo. It takes a whole lot of patience, but it can end up looking pretty good if you do it right.
Old 03-07-2007, 08:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm in the exact same spot, but the person wants more than double that... I think I'll stick witht he touch up paint
Old 03-07-2007, 09:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

if you drive the car much, then it's going to get more rock chips; especially on the interstates or expressways. those little things used to bother me so much, but after the first dozen or so they get less painful.
Old 03-07-2007, 09:01 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

what methods do u use? i was thinking of buying touchup paint, a tiny super fine brush from a Michaels, 2000+ grit sand paper and some rubbing compound to make everything flush...

By the way what color is your car??? if it's a dark color than that explains why it was easy to touch up... unfortunately i drive a silver car and metallic colors are the hardest to match...

I remember i saw this product where u load the scratch up with alot of touch up paint like really layer it on then wait for 1 day for it to dry then u take the special rubbing compund and rub it until the touchup paint is flush...
Old 03-07-2007, 09:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Tekka
what methods do u use? i was thinking of buying touchup paint, a tiny super fine brush from a Michaels, 2000+ grit sand paper and some rubbing compound to make everything flush...

By the way what color is your car???
My Echo was Polar White. I got the touch-up paint from the dealership, the finest sand paper I could buy, some rubbing compound, and a rag. I basically filled the scratches with touch-up paint, left it for a short while in the sun, then sanded it down to be flush with the rest of the paint while trying not to actually get the sand paper on the factory paint. Then the rubbing compound can smooth it out further and blend it in. It should work out well if the touch-up paint is a close enough match.
Old 03-07-2007, 09:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yeah...I have a couple deep chips that are rusting now...I'm just going to wait it out and get the Carbon Fiber hood...I say just be patient.
Old 03-07-2007, 09:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

even if you buy the hood. it's still gonna do the same thing again.
Old 03-07-2007, 09:19 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

i wish i bought white since it's pretty forgiving when it comes to matching... anyways i found some methods on how to do it..

http://www.paintscratch.com/paintpen.htm
Old 03-07-2007, 09:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Good advice, and a good site for getting paint. They can match any color.
Old 03-07-2007, 09:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

50$ for touch up paint? :?
Old 03-07-2007, 09:23 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

thats with buying sand paper, brush, rubbing compound, polish and all those things that u need to do it right...

by the way whats a better, gettign touchup paint from the dealer or order from

http://www.paintscratch.com/ since it's the same price...

btw what rubbing compound do you suggest?
Old 03-07-2007, 09:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

if you have a dealer near you dealer so u shave on shipping costs
Old 03-07-2007, 09:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Paintscratch paint will be fine. You should get the small bottle and the pen also, that way you can test both to find out which is a better match and which is easier to use (test on the inside of the engine bay or the door frame or something). I got my rubbing compound at Autozone.
Old 03-07-2007, 09:34 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

does their paint come mixed with clear coat? i heard the dealer's paint come with clear coat and thats why it doesn't blend too well.
Old 03-07-2007, 09:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm not sure about that. You could look at their FAQs or email them first if you are worried about that. They have been around for a long time though, so they must be doing something right. I heard their stuff is good quality.

Quick Reply: Brand new OEM hood or touchup paint????