Notices
Scion tC 1G Aero & Exterior Aero parts and exterior dress items...

CF roof, any one really interested?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2005, 06:54 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default CF roof, any one really interested?

I talked to a buddy today, master at making molds and fiberglass products, CF would be a simple thing for him to master as well, about making me a CF roof. I want total glass elimination, one piece for better air flow, fully supported, remove moonroof tracks, motor, wiring, etc, etc.

IF you plan to autox seriously, do track days, hard core canyon carving, etc, this would be one of the most important mods you could ever make.

IF there was enough interest in these he would do it for us, first one would be very costly if a one off but making a mold then making more would cut that down a great deal of course.

I have another idea as well, plastic(using a very generic term here on purpose) rear glass and rear side windows. Go with a CF hood and hatch, plastic glass where applicable and CF roof, you may save around 150 or so pounds, may be less, maybe more, either way quite substantial.

I just need to find out what SCCA will say about it now, I am very very serious about wanting this, willing to wait for it if need be, etc, etc, but really want it yesterday, lol!

Rick
Old 04-24-2005, 07:30 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I believe the top two panes of glass weigh close to 75lbs together.

This is a neat concept, but will greatly reduce the value of your tC.

The factory panoramic roof is a high selling point and a great value.

You would also have to do a lot more than just replace the roof.

Start with a tuned suspension...
Old 04-24-2005, 07:45 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Not to worry, I fully understand what I am doing, been modding imports since I lowered my first 510 back in 72

Our car is a company demo car that will see autocross, drag race, some track days, sq and SPL audio comp, will be turboed by us, Tein coilovers are being ordered tomorrow, hotchiss will provide the sways and rear camber kits, we have our wet weather daily driver and track tires on now, 235/40 R-S2s on 17x8 Enkei RPF1's, a second set of Enkeis are on the way for dry race tires, probably some Hoosiers, LSD will be ordered monday, etc, etc, etc.

Besides, if this happens it may be done as a bolt in unit

Of course on our car it will will bonded into place, resale does not mean much with the level of mods we are doing, we lose our ***** on that area already, lol!

Rick
Old 04-24-2005, 03:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

good idea.. or roll cage?
Old 04-24-2005, 04:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by TeamMightyMiniz
This is a neat concept, but will greatly reduce the value of your tC.
i remember this guy from matrixowners.com and he is a serious builder. i honestly can't wait to see how bad ___ his tC comes out as it will most likely kill a lot of cars on the track
Old 04-24-2005, 04:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

It would be a good idea if I was making a track-only car. But that would be the absolute only time I would do it. But in that case it would also have one seat, a cage, no AC, no amps or subs.. etc.
Old 04-24-2005, 05:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

When you're finished with it, please consider bringing it out to our Scion Challenge in August at SOWS.
Old 04-24-2005, 05:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
N.G.S.O.

I agree with engifineer if I was planning on making it a race car I would.... but I am wanting to do sound and that would basically be just cancelling out the weight of the other not justifying the cost... but I am very interested in changing the headliner for silver carbon fiber...
Old 04-24-2005, 07:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

as the headliner comes about in cf, keep me posted... but not in silver please, thanks
Old 04-24-2005, 08:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

It has to be the same weave pattern as my CF hood and trunk. I am wondering how hard would it be to reinstall the glass roof if I want to sell the car later. I am interested.
Old 04-24-2005, 09:42 PM
5 Year Member

I was crazy enough to do it on my last car. Let me just say make sure you do it right the first time or you'll be regretting ever trading your glass roof for a carfon fiber one.
Old 04-24-2005, 09:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

that looks sweet..wat car is that
Old 04-25-2005, 03:19 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SoCal tC Club
SL Member
Scion Evolution

looks cool and looks very nice but...

with out athe glass roof, a TC isnt a TC
Old 04-25-2005, 03:26 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yah i think the same thing br keep the glasss roof it makes the tc..but cf on the other car looked good..can you or your buddy make anything cf like something custom for the tc..???
Old 04-25-2005, 04:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have researched the SCCA rules for the class I plan to run in autocross, Street Mod. I can replace the roof panels with anything I want and remove the mechanisims

But, I am going to contact them for a clarification, basically just want it in an email, etc, I can print and take with me, that this is legal.

Since the car has two moon roofs I am sure it will be legal to do the two rear and largest pieces of glass, the front one is questionable but it is part of the overall mechanism, want to replace it as well.

If this has to be a three part roof to meet their requirements that can be done.

Since the stock mounting points would be used to attach everything, rubber moldings under the panels would be retained, no painting required.

Also, this is starting to look like a bolt in for the at least the front two sections and hopefully the third, if that is the case anybody could install and take out later quite easily

Starting to sound better all the time, I am most certainly going to have one and if enough interest will have them made for others.

If you care not to have one, then don't, certainly not for everybody, I would not want that many people to have them anyway, stays more unique.

Rick
Old 04-25-2005, 06:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
N.G.S.O.

Now not sure if this is what you meant... but if you left the mechanisms in place and replaced the glass roof pieces for cf that would be badass to have a cf sunroof...
Old 04-25-2005, 07:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by tckurt
Now not sure if this is what you meant... but if you left the mechanisms in place and replaced the glass roof pieces for cf that would be badass to have a cf sunroof...
I was about to mention that

Some of the MINI owner's have done this and some have just replaced the glass with a rivited in piece of CF.

Replacing the Glass with CF would also mean you would have to beef up the edges to fit the mech and voids.

I'd do that if it were an easy weekend swap
Old 04-25-2005, 10:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
N.G.S.O.

yea I think it would basically also have the same effect but still give you a functional sunroof...
Old 04-25-2005, 11:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Looked at the roof and I would replace the glass pieces with CF but I would keep the sunroof. So if there were pieces exactly like stock, I'd get it for sure.
Old 04-25-2005, 11:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I just gave the car a decent look over and so far here is what I have found.

The front two panels would be easy to make and install/remove.

The rear fixed glass paenl is unknown yet, will have to take down the headliner and see how it is secured, would be great if bolted or screwed on! Then we could do all three pieces and they could be swapped at will by the car owner.

Removing the mechancical bits would be optional, some sort of brace to hold the new top pieces would be required, probably not all tha complicated to make.

OK, I am just playing with an idea here, I am not into this kind of business, just have a goal for our personal needs and wondered if anybody would be interested so I could try to get one of the CF manf to make them if you are. It just happended my buddy brought up making them to sell when we talked about making me one and I thought I would see what you guys think.

Rick

Quick Reply: CF roof, any one really interested?