Notices
Scion tC 1G Aero & Exterior Aero parts and exterior dress items...

Dent and Scratch

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2007, 12:29 PM
SL Member

Default Dent and Scratch

What is the cheapest way ,without making it look bad, to repair hairline scratches, dents and big scratches? I've looked at paintscratch.com and suction cups but wasn't sure if that was the best way to go.

The other day I was driving on a dirt road heading home from a paintball match and a rock nailed my car right above the front right tire. I also have a dent that looks like someone whacked my car with a bat on the top part of the car above the window and theres small hairline scratches along the top. I'm really low on money (paintball is expensive) and hate having imperfections.
Old 03-12-2007, 04:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScionEyed
SL Member

Hating the imperfections generally costs money. I have found that with a tight budget, you can't really have more than one semi-expensive hobby. Cars are expensive.

A good waxing and buffing could take out the scratches esp if they are only hairline. Other than that, you might be looking at some paint - either re-paint or touch up. But unless it's like a key scratch, I wouldn't go that route.

As for the dent... a suction cup device generally works well for small to mid-size dents. But a rock dent may be a little too small. I guess I would have to see a pic to tell more about it. For the dent on top of the door (I am assuming you are talking about the door since the top is all glass), that might be a little harder to take out and I am pretty sure that the suction cup will do NO good at all there. That metal is pretty stiff and will take A LOT to get a dent out. I think you might have to either hammer it out from the inside, take it to a body sho or just buy a new door. But don't take my word for gospel, I am not a body tech or anything and don't know the easiest way all the time.
Old 03-12-2007, 07:22 PM
SL Member

"

Heres some pics, I tried to take 2 angles to get a better view.
Old 03-12-2007, 10:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Ok . For the top , Drcolorchip IF they can make your paint . The dent/scratch on the fender : Get it painted and fixed at a body shop . My goodness . It might cost the same to get someone pro to get out the dent and then cover up the scratch with some paint as getting it done at a shop . Not sure about where you live but , for the front fender with the dent removed and painted :$ 250.00 tops here . That is from recommended shops . Lower end shops may charge less . Get someone to check it out . A fender is not too bad usually .
Good luck
Old 03-12-2007, 11:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScionEyed
SL Member

Yeah, fenders can be fixed really easily. I would check around with the body shops and get quotes. I am currently behind a filter, so I can't see your dent (not right not at least), but if it's the fender, then you shouldn't have problems. Just make sure you get quotes from multiple shops.
Old 03-13-2007, 02:21 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

i have the same problem, some one's kid opened the rear door of their car and hit right over my passenger rear wheel, and its such an eye swore i hate seeing it, i know exactly how u feel, still dont know where to go to fix that either.
Old 03-13-2007, 04:10 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScionEyed
SL Member

Now that I can see the pics... as far as the dents in the fenders go (both front and back for the other guy too), those should be able to be hammered out fairly easily. You can even do it yourself if you were good enough with it... or at least to the point that it's not such an eyesore. Put the paint will still be chipped away and will need to be touched up.

That particular dent is prolly too small, and too hard for a suction cup device to fix it because of it being on the edge. The same applies with the dent above the door. There should be a way to get to the inside of that area, but I am pretty sure that it's going to involve removing the headliner.

I guess in your case, it really depends on how much work you want to do yourself. If you aren't that dedicated to fixing your car, or you just don't know how to, I think your best bet is going to be a body shop.

Like was mentioned before, just check out the prices around town. The fender shouldn't be much... the door might be a little more.

For Brammi... you should be able to get to your dent from the inner wheel well or trunk. If it's like snipers dent, then you too might be better off going to a shop.
Old 03-13-2007, 01:08 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

i got a stratch on mine 2 weeks after i got it, i wasnt looking and backed into a pole..great move right but anyways, i think th emost inexpensive way to do it, is to buy touch up paint from any scion dealer, than i know this guy who used a paint tool to put it on there and smooth it out..if you use the brush that they supply you can def tell that you touched it up, but with this tool, which i dont know the name, i will find it out..i can tell that is it touched up bc i know its there, but nobody else can..
Old 03-13-2007, 05:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Problem is , that is a big area to " touch up . I still say , body shop . That way the whole fender is painted , the dent gone , everything matches and you lose a few hundred bucks . Money is money but , I think that kind of money is worth every penny to ease your mind and never have to know there was ever a dent or chip there . That is my $ 250.00 worth
Old 03-13-2007, 07:30 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

yeah i kinda agree after i looked at the photo again, it is a big area to touch up..
Old 03-14-2007, 03:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScionEyed
SL Member

So there it is... 3 out of 3 SL members recommend a body shop.