Notices
Scion tC 1G Aero & Exterior Aero parts and exterior dress items...

Faulty Spoiler?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2007, 06:39 PM
5 Year Member

Default Faulty Spoiler?

Alrighty, Ive had my tC from about 8 months now. Over the past few months Ive had an absolute nightmare with my spoiler. I have the factory installed pedastal spoiler on a nautical blue metallic 06 tC. Anytime i run it through a car wah or it rains, it get streaks all down the back of my hatch/trunk lid. Almost 3 or 4 times a week I have to take windex to the back of my car and wipe it down to get rid of the streaks. Ive been to several Scion dealerships here in Savannah and the outer areas, and do not see this problem on any others. I have even taken mine back to the dealership I bought it from and it's been in and out of there 5 times in the past 3 months for the same problem with the spoiiler and they just cant seem to get it right. The entire back of my hatch lid looks horrible from where they tried to seal off the spiler with some cheap black or clear sealent that ran everywhere.Do you think toyota cares? Nope! I even have talked to the GM of the dealsership and he's been no help at all.

Does anybody else have these problems with their pedastol spoiler? Pictures coming VERY soon.
Old 01-06-2007, 06:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Without seeing pics it's hard to say. This makes me think of how the side mirrors will "trp" water for a while so you have to occasionally go back and do a touch up. Maybe the spoiler is doing just that..."trapping" some of the water and it is slowly draining. You mentioned you were using windex.....on the paint???? Or just the windows?

If you are using it on the paint STOP! Use only a quick detailer, that's what those are made for.

As far as the dealership leaving sloppy sealent glue...yeah, I would make them fix that or report it to Toyota. If the sealant they used damaged your car they must fix it.
Old 01-07-2007, 12:06 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i asked the same exact question a few months back https://www.scionlife.com/forums/vie...382&highlight= theres absolutely nothing you can do to prevent it from happening. Water just gets trapped under the mountings. What i do is i either let it sit for days in my garage and dry itself or take a towel with me to school in the morning and wipe off the excess water that streaks down. I usually also have to wipe the trunk off when i get home later in the day. I know it sucks big time but its just something that happends.

After the water dries, what you could do to get the streaks off is get a towel alittle bit wet and rub the wet part over the streaks and wipe it dry, they usually come out then.
Old 01-07-2007, 12:47 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^^yup
Old 01-07-2007, 02:49 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

im just plain confused on what hes trying to say...is ur spoiler retaining water and dripping when u drive. Water is almost impossible to keep from getting into a certain place..Theres not much u can do unless u wanna silicone the spaces under ur trunklid where they bolted ur spoiler that way water doesnt get in...thats the only option i see for you. Show some pix and Windex has ammonia in it and that damages ur paint...there are better glass cleaners then windex but thats JMO good luck with ur fix man
Old 01-07-2007, 07:16 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SoCal tC Club
SL Member

i have the same problem when i wash my car....what i do is first lift the hatch and let all the water drip and clean that off.....i then put it back down and I use any compressed air can i have (like the ones you use to clean dust from computers) and blow out all the water from those cracks.....you'll use quite a bit of the compressed air, but after that you shouldn't have those "bleeding" water marks running down....hope that helps
Old 01-07-2007, 07:28 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

DO NOT USE WINDEX ON YOUR CARS PAINT

it will eat away at the clear coat.
Old 01-07-2007, 08:04 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

same thing happens to my spoiler when i wash my car. you cant stop it. the best thing you can do is use the compressed air like malibuboy54 said.

oh and PLEASE stop using the windex!!!
Old 01-07-2007, 08:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I knew what this topic was gonna be about right when i saw the title. Its not the dealers fault. They dont use any type of glue or something like that to put on the pedestal spoiler, i believe its like a screw from what I read.

The best thing you can do after you get it washed is, get a blow dryer and point it where the spoiler is connected into the hatch, then water should be dripping out and wipe it off. Also, open up your hatch and doors to get all the left over water that you can only get if you open up your doors or hatch. To get any water behind your liscense plates, what I do is open up the hatch and close the hatch with a hard enough force that the water behind the plates will come out of the bottom, and keep repeating until you get all the water out.
Old 01-07-2007, 09:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
TOCC
SL Member

the spoiler is bolted on with 2 bolts, one in each side, and a large peice of double sided tape
Old 01-08-2007, 07:38 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

the Scion tC is BAD about retaining water period.

but yes this is a side effect of the pedistal spoiler. you can try as best you can to get rid of most of the water but you will still have problem with it.

the worst culprit of it is the double sided tape. it absorbs the water and just slowly oozes it out over the days.

i usually stick a microfiber towel in the gap and push down at the top of the spoiler leg and try and squeeze the water out. still doesnt get it all but its gets the most out at once that i have been able too.
Old 01-09-2007, 03:55 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SoCal tC Club
SL Member

i'm tellin ya, the condensed air really does the trick, better than any other way i've tried....
Old 01-09-2007, 03:05 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

i tried that and an industrial leave blower. the next day i still had some streakage but not near as much. my squeeze thing works the best and easiest for me.
Old 01-09-2007, 04:36 PM
Banned
SL Member

I had that same problem but it went away, when I was having it I would wrap 2 towels around the posts to catch the water dripping. One time when I was washing my car I just sat a sprayed the posts for a few mins to see if I could wash away the white stuff coming out from them. Seemed to have worked so far.
Old 01-09-2007, 05:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

get a viniati
Old 01-09-2007, 07:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by rvpps2rocks
im just plain confused on what hes trying to say...is ur spoiler retaining water and dripping when u drive. Water is almost impossible to keep from getting into a certain place..Theres not much u can do unless u wanna silicone the spaces under ur trunklid where they bolted ur spoiler that way water doesnt get in...thats the only option i see for you. Show some pix and Windex has ammonia in it and that damages ur paint...there are better glass cleaners then windex but thats JMO good luck with ur fix man

the hatch has 2 plugged off drain plugs for H2O on the bottom lip on left and right if you take those off and water drains out then the dealer or whoever installed the spoiler didnt seal the bolts that hold it on and i guarantee you down the road your going to have corrosion eatinig out your hatch HAHA hatch kinda like **ach. but anyways i would take it back to the dealer and just make up some story to have them take it off and reseal it back on including the bolts. or your gonna be replacing the hatch down the road im bout to do that with mine soon cuz i get the same thing