Notices
Scion tC 1G Aero & Exterior Aero parts and exterior dress items...

Filing FTC complaint re: '05 tC hatch handle

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2008, 05:42 PM

Default Filing FTC complaint re: '05 tC hatch handle

Like many other people I have had the problem with my '05 tC's hatchback handle breaking off of my vehicle.

This happened with "very little" force and on a cold day (brittle plastic) like many others have experienced. I also saw another tC on the streets around here with the same exact problem 3 days ago (another cold day).

I contacted SCION customer experience and they have no recalls, nor do they provide their reps with information regarding how common this problem is.

Because of these facts and the low quality of craftsmanship I have decided to file a complaint with the FTC and recommend other experiencing this problem do the same.

A handle is created to facilitate opening and/or closing a door. When that handle breaks for performing the task in which it was created, that demonstrates poor craftsmanship on the part of the designer.

FTC Complaint: https://www.ftccomplaintassistant.go...d.aspx?Lang=en
Old 12-18-2008, 05:49 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member

mine broke i jus ended up fixing it with sum superglue lol its been on ever since wit no problems lol
Old 12-18-2008, 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by rosedaleny806
mine broke i jus ended up fixing it with sum superglue lol its been on ever since wit no problems lol
It just seems like something that should have a "little" more meat to it than just six paper thin pieces of plastic holding it together.

I'm currently using 4 small pieces of clear packaging tape to hold it on. It's just a little frustrating to see that so many people are starting to have this happen to them and it's not really being acknowledged by Toyota by at least offering a more affordable repair option... even without a full recall.

And even if the customer service center offers something... the customer shouldn't have to go looking for the assistance in this scenario, they should just inform dealers to work with the customer in providing an affordable repair option.
Old 12-21-2008, 05:21 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

why do you grab the hatcj piece and not the button behind it?
Old 12-21-2008, 07:24 AM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member

mine broke off completely today i grabbed it by the button and snap the whole thing cracked off, it was bc of all the weight of the snow on top it sucked
Old 12-21-2008, 07:46 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
teamNJCT
Fresh Crew
SL Member

If Scion doesn't have it on record, then it's not a common problem. This is simply user error, not a manufacturer defect. The only thing they could possibly issue for this, is a TSB. Recalls are for safety issues.

I never had a problem with my 05, and haven't had a problem with either of the 08's in my driveway.
Old 12-21-2008, 07:47 AM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member

mins broke bc of my girl pulling on it when it wasnt unlocked months ago but besides that it was fine now it jus snapped cause of the weight of the snow
Old 12-21-2008, 07:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

well part of it would seem that when your hatch socks are going out it requires significantly more force to lift the hatch than before.

My shocks seem like they're starting to go out and I noticed its a little harder to lift. All I do is press the button - lift it a little - then lift from the hatch itself and not the handle, problem solved.
Old 12-21-2008, 07:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

hmm got any pics of this? mine is a 05 and i never had a problem, i open it with snow on it too all the time,.,,
Old 12-21-2008, 08:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Balliztik
SL Member

The design does lead the consumer to think to use it as a handle,but it is not strong enough to really use as one....I jsut use my plate as a lift point and always have as I tend to scratch stuff so I try not to touch the cars painted areas.
Old 12-21-2008, 10:23 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member

yeah thats what i do press the button lift from the bottom of the hatch with my other hand and thats it but i dunno y the snow was nuts on the hood so even when i tried pulling from the bottom it jus didnt work either and snap it cracked i need to get it fixed when the weather is better i fixed it beforfe and it was perfect for awhile
Old 12-23-2008, 01:25 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

I use mine as a handle and it hasnt broke. I dont use alot of strength though. Its easy to open. In the cold though the shocks work a lil slower though. But no probs even with the CF garnish i have now and it only has 2 screws instead of 4.
Old 12-23-2008, 03:22 AM
SL Member

Just do what this fool did hahahaha

Sorry, but i had to put it on
Old 12-23-2008, 03:39 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

okay losers, listen up.

i've owned my 2005 scion tc since november 2004 and since then i have endured 4 harsh winters in maryland, in montgomery county and even colder allegany count. since day one, i have used my tc for deliverys and catering and running errands for my restaurant, my rear seats spend more time folded flat for fitting boxes of food, beer, wine, chaffing dishes, moving myself in and out of my college dorm, hauling parts too and from places etc. just today i took one delivery, a run to get 26 bottles of liquer, and another run to get 11 cases of wine. it was 19 degrees today.

so if this hatch handle truly was defective, i woulda found that out by now, but until that day comes, all i can tell you is...your doing it wrong.
Old 12-23-2008, 06:34 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

My friend straight up tore it off when he tried to open the trunk while the car was locked.

Man, it freakin' depends. But you can't deny that it has happened to quite a few people already, and it's not cause everyone is dumb. It just happens.

I thought scl0n up there posted a picture of my car :p
Old 12-23-2008, 06:41 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

mine is loose, i get the feeling like its gonna snap off almost everytime i open the deck lid. i think there must be some clips or something broken underneath.
Old 12-23-2008, 09:18 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

everytime you open your hatch, you shouldnt even be touching the hatch garnish
Old 12-23-2008, 01:18 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member

Originally Posted by matt
mine is loose, i get the feeling like its gonna snap off almost everytime i open the deck lid. i think there must be some clips or something broken underneath.
thats wat mine started feeling like at first i would bang it so the clip would clip in but it would always jus unclip.

OHHHH draxcaliber spoke on it and THATS IT! we cant discuss this any further lmfaoo
Old 12-23-2008, 08:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
teamNJCT
Fresh Crew
SL Member

So the verdict is in.

User error.
Old 12-23-2008, 11:31 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member