Notices
Scion tC 1G Aero & Exterior Aero parts and exterior dress items...

Front license plate holes....

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2004, 02:46 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Front license plate holes....

Sup folks, I am a proud owner of BCP TC. Had the car for about 3 weeks and I'm still loving it like the first day I laid eyes on her.

Here's my question, is there a front license plate bracket or holder or is the front license plate screwed rite into the front bumper? I asked because my front "Toyota of Glendale" plate was screwed rite in with any bracket and it looks terrible.
Old 07-22-2004, 03:40 AM
fro
5 Year Member
SL Member

I live in MD, where they require both front and back license plates; and my dealer (Younger Toyota in Hagerstown, MD) gave me the option of drilling holes the same day i bought my tC or coming back at a later date for a custom bracket or whatever. Never the less there are definitley 2 small indentations on the front bumper anyone can use as guides as to where to drill for the front license plate. Must be a dealer preferance.
Old 07-22-2004, 04:08 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

There are two ugly holes in the front of my bumper where the license plate is bolted onto. I don't think there's any way around it.
Old 07-22-2004, 07:15 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SoCal tC Club
SL Member
Scion Evolution

I HATE DOES DAM HOLES IN MY FRONT BUMPER!!!! GOOD LORD. DOES GUYS AT THE DEALER R STUPID. wen i took off the plate tingy, i tot der was gonna b a bracket but it was jus 2 holes in my bumper....

ony way around it is BONDO the holes n mak ur own or buy brackets tat extend frum ur air duct in front.

stupid toyota!!! i mean SCION... but i luv my car :D :D
Old 07-22-2004, 08:12 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Well, my dad and I got the salesman at some dealership in California to at least say that when they sell it to us, they won't bolt anything on the front, because I live in NV, and it's legal to run around without a front plate.
Old 07-22-2004, 08:20 AM
Emo
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

heh... you guys just have to move to Florida and youre problem is solved!! :D

-Emo
Old 07-22-2004, 10:47 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

rig w/ plasitic ties running through the grill. Doesn't look the nicest, but it's legal, non-destructive, and will get you by untiil you figure out something else. How much is a fine for not having a front plate displayed?
Old 07-22-2004, 12:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yeah, no front plates in DE either. I still have the two little dimples on my front bumper though.
Old 07-22-2004, 04:02 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

In CA you are supposed to have the front plate on as well. But, I have yet to own a car with front plates. First didn't have 'em. Second I didn't put them on. Also there are so many cars that drive around without them. I believe if you get pulled over for it then it's just a fix-it ticket - I could be wrong.

I was lucky in that the dealer didn't screw anything into that spot. On a clean bumper there are two small indentations where the plate screws would go, but there are no actual holes.
Old 07-22-2004, 05:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yeh its good to not have holes
Old 07-15-2005, 03:40 AM
5 Year Member

Just got a f'n ticket for that ish and now I need to put the damn plates in front. I'm in CA and it's a fix it ticket for $30.00, but I ain't bolting that sucker straight onto the bumper - I have to find something like a bracket that will attach to the grille and then put the license plate on that!
Old 07-15-2005, 03:42 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Since we're on the topic of bumper holes... who here has plugged up the holes after removing their plates?? How/where can you get these plugs?
Old 07-15-2005, 03:45 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i never have my front plates on and i havent had any problems with it yet. but i do have 2 holes drilled in my bumper. my papa said that the holes with close and heal over time.
Old 07-15-2005, 03:50 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: Front license plate holes....

Originally Posted by lildreamah
Here's my question, is there a front license plate bracket or holder or is the front license plate screwed rite into the front bumper? I asked because my front "Toyota of Glendale" plate was screwed rite in with any bracet and it looks terrible.
Hey you can get a lisense plate relocator I got mine from http://www.eight08customs.com/ [or if you want to go directly there http://www.eight08customs.com/licenseplatebracket.html ] they are quick in shipping once you pay by your credit card using paypal. Look at their website to see how it works. It attaches to your lower grille without making any holes on your car. I'm now trying to fill my drill holes I had from the dealers with a filler and some touchup paint. Make sure you pick it for the tC because it's defaulted at the xB.

I will probably fix the hole by putting bondo to fill it in and then fiberglass the surface then add touch up paint... I need to get other opinions before i really do it though.
Old 07-15-2005, 04:09 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by Mazrim
In CA you are supposed to have the front plate on as well. But, I have yet to own a car with front plates. First didn't have 'em. Second I didn't put them on. Also there are so many cars that drive around without them. I believe if you get pulled over for it then it's just a fix-it ticket - I could be wrong.
My buddy just found an $80 ticket on his car for not having a front plate.
Old 07-15-2005, 04:09 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by Mazrim
My buddy just found an $80 ticket on his car for not having a front plate.
Old 07-15-2005, 05:59 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The place to get the plugs for this is www.bumperplugs.com if you're serious about it. They charge $24.95 for a pair of them but they're supposed to look really good. These guys set the site up for Porsche stuff but they've got everything now. Every once in a while I think I'm going to do it but I never do. It's a lot for a little piece of plastic, even if it's a really nice little piece of plastic. They didn't use to have the Scion colors but they do now. Check the color match chart - they're in there.
Old 07-15-2005, 06:38 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by iowagary
The place to get the plugs for this is www.bumperplugs.com if you're serious about it. They charge $24.95 for a pair of them but they're supposed to look really good. These guys set the site up for Porsche stuff but they've got everything now. Every once in a while I think I'm going to do it but I never do. It's a lot for a little piece of plastic, even if it's a really nice little piece of plastic. They didn't use to have the Scion colors but they do now. Check the color match chart - they're in there.
they have 4 "close to" scion colors. i wouldn't imagine one would notice the difference in colors, but c'mon....25 bucks for a dollar plastic home depot plug that one could cover with dealer matched touch up paint. it's not like the fix is not noticeable. at its "best" it's a plug. (motozen also linked these folk a while back. no disrespect to you or him but it's just a $24.95 fix that i can do for a couple bucks)
Old 07-15-2005, 06:47 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by iowagary
If anyone installed those bumper plugs (wow the door plugs look cool too) I want to see pictures on the Flint Mica. I can't really trust their color chart unless I can see some pictures of them installed into a Scion
Old 07-15-2005, 02:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have a feeling that the plugs sit pretty flush when done right, looking a bit more "invisible". There is also another option - I talked to them a while back before they had those colors available and they had some deal where for like $50, they'd custom paint two sets of plugs for you. So if you went in with someone else, you could get, for essentially the same price, a set each that really matched. But frankly, for something that small, I bet the color difference is pretty hard to see. They're quick on replies to email - someone should ask them about that and how they justify the price.

Quick Reply: Front license plate holes....