Notices
Scion tC 1G Aero & Exterior Aero parts and exterior dress items...

Front license plate questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2005, 10:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Front license plate questions

i absolutely hate having my front plate on; i think it ruins the look of the front of the car, and i dont want to have to mount it. however, the dealership i bought my car from was nice enough to drill two large holes in the front of my car to mount the plate.

i have two questions, first, i know there was some site i saw a while ago that sold color-matched plugs for those holes, does anyone have a link?

and second, is there a way to mount the plate like this:

i can ziptie the bottom holes to the grille, but there really isnt anything to attatch the top to to prevent it from falling back. it fits snugly in there, but not secure enough to drive around with it like that. the only thing i can think of now is duct tape or something. any other ideas?

ideally i want to run no plate at all; i had no front plate on my eclipse for 3 years and was only hastled once. however, i just want to have something there just in case. even a fix-it ticket would be a pain to have to deal with.
Old 10-14-2005, 10:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Moved to DC.
Old 10-14-2005, 11:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

http://www.bumperplugs.com/

Good idea with mounting the plate behind your grille, but that's still just as illegal as not having a plate at all. The same goes for sticking the plate near your windsheild... It's still a license display violation.

At least it's a cheap one, though. I figure I can eat a $35.00 citation and grudgingly put my plate back on, rather scratch up my dashboard.

There's also another member on here with a nice custom bracket, you could look through some of the user profiles for him. His license plate is mounted to the lower grille (outside) and looks pretty clean.

Oh, another thing. If you really do want to mount your plate behind the lower grille, get a full plate (attaches by four screws) license plate bracket. Attach your plate to that, then get a pair of small L-brackets from your local hardware store. You would have to screw it on from the underside of or the back of the bumper, but it would at least make it stand up.
Old 10-14-2005, 11:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

LOL i got a NO COST fix it ticket for no front plate coming home from Vegas from the coolest CHP officer ever. He let me go on my tint and for going SLIGHTLY over the speed limit passing a ton of cars in the truck lane.
Old 10-14-2005, 11:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

http://www.eight08customs.com/licenseplatebracket.html

That's where i got mine from. I could have probably built it myself with a trip to the hardware store, but I figure if someone goes out and sponsors the site, why not kick them a little money in return.
Old 10-14-2005, 11:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Sweet...I was going to get one of those but I forgot the website. I just ordered mine. Hows it working out for you?
Old 10-14-2005, 11:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

That's actually nice! I'll get one of those if I get a ticket for my front plugs. Thanks for the link!
Old 10-15-2005, 12:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Premium Member

Custom Built. Only $3 for all supplies! Dealer didnt want to touch my car so he said i can drill it if i want? NO BUMPER HOLES!

Ive heard in TX that sometime soon a law will pass where we wont have to have the front license plate n e more? Can any1 confirm that?
Old 10-15-2005, 04:26 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

I told my salesman if they drilled into my front bumper I wouldn't take delivery of the car.

As for how it's working... pretty well. I think I have it too close to my bumper, as it has rubbed just a little on the bumper from blowing back. I'm going to take the plate off next weekend, wax the box really well and put a rubber bumper on the back of of the plate to prevent further damage.
Old 10-15-2005, 07:43 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

yanki01...

great idea!

what supplies did you buy? sizes of screws/bolts?
Old 10-15-2005, 08:37 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Scion05BOPxB
I told my salesman if they drilled into my front bumper I wouldn't take delivery of the car.
i would have loved to have that option, but was pretty hard to get a hold of an RS1. they would sell out within a day or two of arriving on the lot, and every one we saw was already sold by the time we went there.

and meh, if having it there is illegal too, i'll just go without it entirely. its not that big of a deal really. and i ordered the plugs from that site, so they should be here soon.
Old 10-16-2005, 11:20 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

well, cfusionpm, i am in san diego too and for the last year, i've been running my car without my front plate and never had any problem even when i was pulled over.
Old 10-16-2005, 11:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

well, in my old car, the only time i was bothered was when i spun out in the rain on a freeway offramp. my car was stuck in some mud, and i was just waiting for a tow truck to arrive when some patrollers just pulled over to see if i was ok and wait there with me. when i was about to drive away the cop said with kind of a sarcastic attitude "dont forget your front plate next time, partner." other than that, i got pulled over twice for speeding, and neither time did they mention the lack of front plate.
Old 10-17-2005, 03:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Yanki01
Ive heard in TX that sometime soon a law will pass where we wont have to have the front license plate n e more? Can any1 confirm that?
yes they passed the law sept. 1st 2k5, someone posted the article about that on here too, if you're not lazy i'm sure you can do a search and find it.
Old 10-20-2005, 02:38 AM
Banned
SL Member

The cops were i live dont really pay too much attention to things like this. I have the license plate behind the front windshield, and i know many people who do the same and dont get in trouble for it. It just depends were you live, i guess.
Old 10-20-2005, 04:16 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Somnambulated

http://www.bumperplugs.com/

Good idea with mounting the plate behind your grille, but that's still just as illegal as not having a plate at all. The same goes for sticking the plate near your windsheild... It's still a license display violation.

At least it's a cheap one, though. I figure I can eat a $35.00 citation and grudgingly put my plate back on, rather scratch up my dashboard.

There's also another member on here with a nice custom bracket, you could look through some of the user profiles for him. His license plate is mounted to the lower grille (outside) and looks pretty clean.

Oh, another thing. If you really do want to mount your plate behind the lower grille, get a full plate (attaches by four screws) license plate bracket. Attach your plate to that, then get a pair of small L-brackets from your local hardware store. You would have to screw it on from the underside of or the back of the bumper, but it would at least make it stand up.

What color is that in bumperlpugs.com? I have a SSM and i am considering buying bumper plugs for my car. Thanks!
Old 10-20-2005, 04:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Their color match chart says Arctic Silver Metallic
Old 10-20-2005, 05:16 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team N.V.S.

man i have gotten pulled over a couple of times for no front plate......funny thing is that i have not lisence plates yet! he said it was illegal to remove my "factory plate from the vehicle". That sounds like crap to me......
Old 10-21-2005, 05:01 AM
Sin
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm in DFW. I've never, ever used a front plate though its the law. The police should never pull you over unless you are doing something else wrong, than he/she would tack on the front plate violation. Then again I would'nt know, I dont get pulled over (thanx to my belltronic )
Old 10-21-2005, 02:47 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team N.V.S.

It's tough around here, our cops around here even went to my high school walked around the parking lot and gave people tickets for violations on their vehicle.......then proceeded to wait at the exit of the school parking lot to get people when they were leaving school.

Quick Reply: Front license plate questions