Notices
Scion tC 1G Aero & Exterior Aero parts and exterior dress items...

hood chipped already and it's only first week

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2005, 04:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default hood chipped already and it's only first week

okay guys, this isn't cool, my heart is aching and all T__T

but i got 3 chips on my hood from i guess rocks, but listen to this, the paint didn't chipped off all the way, it's like it got sliced and it's still on the hood, but it's like paint hanging off my hood, and it's really soft,

no time to search the forums ready to go out and have the alarm installed

should i complain to the dealer about the paint too soft?
Old 08-06-2005, 04:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

ugh you so gonna get nailed on the paint comment LOL . Yes we have soft paint and yes it chips and scratches REAL easy . Smash already went through that with the dealership and I think she lost that battle . Scion isnt gonna do anything about our paint so accept it , not trying to be a hard a$$ but thats just how it is . Becareful washin your car as well , if not done properly it will be real easy to put swirl marks in the paint
Old 08-06-2005, 08:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

well tcrs1.0, ur response helped out i guess, yeah i guess i have the "new car syndrome" :T accept it eh? hard to do :T give me a few days :T
Old 08-07-2005, 03:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I left a 2004 dodge ram that didnt scratch or chip this easily , Hell infact I had 25 thousand miles on it and no paint chips on my truck . Had the tC a week and I had chips , wait till the scratches start showin up . As for accepting it , there are other routes to go but will be costly . I have heard of some having their cars sprayed with an extra coat of clear . How well this has worked I am not sure . But I am sure another layer of clear wouldnt hurt
Old 08-07-2005, 10:08 PM
5 Year Member

same thing is happening to me man...ive got the SW TC and everytime i go to wash the car, i notice another chip and another scratch.....its a pain in the a$$ really...
Old 08-08-2005, 12:52 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i don't really have any chips, had my car for about 6 months, but i have swirls like crazy. it's bad, because i was properly.

microfiber, 2 buckets
plenty of water, plenty of rinsing out the mitt
good microfiber drying towels.
clay bar (which will actually dull the surface a little, even if you do it correctly because the paint is so soft)
3 coats of nxt tech wax
2 coats of meg's carnuba

still got tons of swirls, and i never take it to the auto car wash, no way.

just accept it, it's the only thing you can do, unless you got the cash to fix it
Old 08-08-2005, 01:03 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Sorry to hear that man especially when it is brand new like that. That sucks. You can try to complain to the dealer but I dont think it will do any good.

No chips, scratches or marks on my front end with 5K in 6 weeks. No swirls either. I am particular like that with my IIP.
Old 08-08-2005, 02:09 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Close to 5K miles on my 05 FM tC and no chips so far. I think I'm just lucky not to have a long commute (9 miles each way) to work minimizing exposure to stone hits from road debris. I do agree that the paint seems fragile, specially at the door edges. a few minor rubs against other cars seems to show up as small white marks at the edge of the door.
I advise not tailing cars and trucks with wide wheels that can throw up a lot of grit and stones too closely. I've been avoiding them consciously since I got the car, and so far so good!
Chombi
Old 08-08-2005, 02:46 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

My tC is only 3 weeks old and it has several scratches on the hood. It angers me....
Old 08-08-2005, 03:53 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

my car is is about 4 months old, i have at least 3 small rock chips on the hood and a few minor scratches on either side of the car. It sucks but what are you gonna do about it.
Old 08-08-2005, 05:21 AM
5 Year Member

i got a few minor chips and a minor dent on my hood due to a big a$$ moth lol...
Old 08-08-2005, 02:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

moth? LOL, u sure it wasn't a bat chasing the moth, and the moth out flew the bat, and the bat hit ur hood? XD
Old 08-08-2005, 02:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by Chombi
Close to 5K miles on my 05 FM tC and no chips so far. I think I'm just lucky not to have a long commute (9 miles each way) to work minimizing exposure to stone hits from road debris. I do agree that the paint seems fragile, specially at the door edges. a few minor rubs against other cars seems to show up as small white marks at the edge of the door.
I advise not tailing cars and trucks with wide wheels that can throw up a lot of grit and stones too closely. I've been avoiding them consciously since I got the car, and so far so good!
Chombi
i do the same on my commute, 20 miles on highway each way, and have had my NB for bout 5 weeks. i prolly have 20 or so paint chips in the front
Old 08-08-2005, 03:37 PM
5 Year Member

i feel your pain...the first day back from the dealership, an invisible (YES invisible) rock nailed my driver side door and took a small divet out of the paint. There were no cars in front of me and I was on a perfectly smooth highway w/no construction (I'm in the DC area where it seems every road is being worked on). Soon after I got a small scratch on my hood. I use mcguairs (is that spelled right??) products and it does the trick...it somehow seems to make the paint more resistant to scratches (none since...knock on wood) and it never leaves swirls. Now this may seem like a waste of money, but I also buy new sponges, cloth rags, etc. every time I hand wash (once a month, I go through those brushless washes in between).
Old 08-08-2005, 03:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have one in my bumper, but there's really nothing I can do about it since it's part of living here, with all this new construction.
Old 08-08-2005, 03:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Welcome to the club.

And before anyone plays the "what do you expect for $17K?" card, I'll just say that my trade-in (for which I got vastly less than $17K) had no more dings on it at 40K than my tC has at 8K.
Old 08-08-2005, 03:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yeah, reading about how soft our paint was I immediately put a clear bra on the front of my car, about a week after I bought it. It's been a great investment, roughly $600.

However just recently I discovered behind the rear drivers side window a huge boulder gouge...I have no clue as to how I'm going to repair it yet....
Old 08-08-2005, 04:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Buy a carton of DPA screen protectors and stick 'em on your tC's bumper. Way cheaper than clear bra.
Old 08-08-2005, 06:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Buy the front end mask

The front end mask works wonders! I agree it does look a little better with it off, but I can take it off whenever I want and my paint is perfect underneath. I have used the front end mask for about 8 months of driving highway miles and not one scratch, bug stain, rock chip or anything. Everyone is so scared to put one on because they think it will cause damage to their paint. IT WON'T! Just take it off at least once every two weeks and clean underneath it. Then all that you have to do is spray some wax underneath it before you put it on. The first time that I put it on it was a little hard to do beacuse it was really tightly fitting, now I can take it off, shop vac the back side, wipe off the front of my car, spray wax on it and put it back on in about 15 minutes! Everyone should consider this because it is only about $170 and you can take it off whenever you like.
Old 08-08-2005, 06:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Fuzzy
Buy a carton of DPA screen protectors and stick 'em on your tC's bumper. Way cheaper than clear bra.
PDA (palm pilot) screen protectors?

Quick Reply: hood chipped already and it's only first week