Notices
Scion tC 1G Aero & Exterior Aero parts and exterior dress items...

How long the car could last with my driving....?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2005, 07:24 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default How long the car could last with my driving....?

Hi, I got a scion tc in january and it was my first manual car. THe first week I probably stalled at least 50-75 times if now more. Since then I probably stalled 25 more times doing stupid stuff like accidently putting into third instead of first. And I probably didn't know that I had to rev-match when I'm going from N to a gear til 750-1000 miles. And I've been grinding my gears occasionally where I let go of the clutch to early and it gets stuck inbetween gears and hear this really loud noise. This probably happened 50 times by now. Now with 4500 miles (1/2 a year) experience and a shortshifter I barely have any of these problems anymore. I was wondering what did all these problems do to my car? Did I lose a year of my car life or something? How long could I drive with my car now? Thanks.

...continued....

Sorry for the lack of desciption earlier, I had to go back to work... Anyways I wanted to add some more details....

When I didn't rev-match the car was mostly jerking really bad... My driving now is pretty good...I could still feel when I shift at times but it is still smooth (not jerky). And I mostly grind gears maybe once a month now? But it's much better than before like once every week. I also wanted to ask what does these problems effect? For ex. the stalling would probably effect the engine, but would about the grinding gears and the rev-matching problem?

So what I did with my car wouldn't really shorten the life of my car as long as I don't to it on occasionally anymore? Or is it already too late?Thanks again.
Old 07-28-2005, 07:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

its a camry, it'll last a while.
Old 07-28-2005, 10:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Lol! It's funning how most of us have been there, but for half a year. That's unheard of. Anyways, your engine should be fine it's built to last. As for your clutch you probably killed years off it's life.
Old 07-29-2005, 02:14 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

well...maybe I got stuck in between gears closer to 30 times....but i guess that's still a lot huh? And when that happens it only effects my clutch right and not anything else like my gearbox and etc?

Since I got my shortshifter I was able to expontentally decrease these occurences. But I still did it like 2 times since I got it which was like 2 months ago. But I guess it's getting better....just needa perfect my driving some more.
Old 07-29-2005, 02:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SoCal tC Club
SL Member
Scion Evolution

itll las for ever. its a toyota

haha jk ur tranny might start to give out on u around 150-200k miles? as for engine. ur fine. if you dont push it to redline everyday lik me, ur engine will last a super long time.