Notices
Scion tC 1G Aero & Exterior Aero parts and exterior dress items...

LED vs Plazma???

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2015, 01:27 AM

Default LED vs Plazma???

Ordering interior bulbs but dont know which style to go with.
Place im ordering from, says Plazma is better and they are about 3X the cost but, I read somewhere else that they have to warm up first. And is there really bang for your buck with Plazma?

Description and price:
PlaZma, $11.95 70 lumen (1.25" Bulb) - BEST
PlaZma Series Replacement LED Bulb (1.25") by Lumen®, 1 Bulb. 1-LED bulb, 70 lumen of light with white color, 180 Degree light output. Offers twice the brilliance of standard LEDs using the same power, and features a lifespan 25 times longer than incandescents at a lower operating temperature. Designed to plug into OEM connector without modification. Available in multiple colors. Replaces the following bulb types: 6428 / 7065 / DE3021 / DE3022 / DE3175.

$5.99
Standard, 20 lumen (1.25" Bulb) - GOOD
Standard Series Replacement LED Bulb (1.25") by Lumen®, 1 Bulb. 2-LEDs bulb, 20 lumen of light with white color, 180 Degree light output. Features lifespan that's 25 times longer than incandescents at a lower operating temperature. Designed to plug into OEM connector without modification. Available in multiple colors. Replaces the following bulb types: 6428 / 7065 / DE3021 / DE3022 / DE3175.
Old 10-04-2015, 03:12 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

it's just a marketing term for brighter LEDs.
it's personal preference on whether you think it is worth the cost or not.

from my experience with using LED bulbs, $12 for one small bulb is no where near worth it, $6 is still pushing it.
Old 10-04-2015, 03:58 PM

Thanks for the reply back. That definitely helps with the discussion.
I thought it was a crazy price for a bulb, but didn't know anything about them.
Old 10-08-2015, 05:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by SlickWik
Ordering interior bulbs but dont know which style to go with.
Place im ordering from, says Plazma is better and they are about 3X the cost but, I read somewhere else that they have to warm up first. And is there really bang for your buck with Plazma?

Description and price:
PlaZma, $11.95 70 lumen (1.25" Bulb) - BEST
PlaZma Series Replacement LED Bulb (1.25") by Lumen®, 1 Bulb. 1-LED bulb, 70 lumen of light with white color, 180 Degree light output. Offers twice the brilliance of standard LEDs using the same power, and features a lifespan 25 times longer than incandescents at a lower operating temperature. Designed to plug into OEM connector without modification. Available in multiple colors. Replaces the following bulb types: 6428 / 7065 / DE3021 / DE3022 / DE3175.

$5.99
Standard, 20 lumen (1.25" Bulb) - GOOD
Standard Series Replacement LED Bulb (1.25") by Lumen®, 1 Bulb. 2-LEDs bulb, 20 lumen of light with white color, 180 Degree light output. Features lifespan that's 25 times longer than incandescents at a lower operating temperature. Designed to plug into OEM connector without modification. Available in multiple colors. Replaces the following bulb types: 6428 / 7065 / DE3021 / DE3022 / DE3175.

From my experience with both, the stock bulbs are best.. You can get colored bulbs in you want them, but after doing LED in every socket including the cluster and having them randomly burn out, and than going the other route with Plazma bulbs and having a similar issue, i went with "cool blue" regular bulbs. They were cheap and lasted 7 years till i sold the car.
Old 10-08-2015, 10:57 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

there a ton of LED bulbs out there, some work better in some application than others.
sometimes it is even luck.

I changed my parking lights to LEDs early on and went through 3 or so different brands until I found some with a pretty big heat sink and have had those working well for years now, all of the ones I have used in my interior lights have only had to replace once.

I never wired new ones into my dash or console, except for the shifter light and it's never gone out on me.

It doesn't surprise me that the "Plazma" lights worked no differently, since they seem to only be brighter LEDs.