Notices
Scion tC 1G Aero & Exterior Aero parts and exterior dress items...

MAJOR paint problem with my tC

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2005, 06:07 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default MAJOR paint problem with my tC

I am going to take my 06 super white tc back to the dealership first thing tomorrow morning. When I picked up the tC on Sept 8, I noticed a tiny speck that resembled a rust mark on my trunk. I tried rubbing it off with car soap and water, but it was very stubborn and would not come off. Didn't think much of it because it was so tiny. However, today, as I was washing my car I noticed that the rust like spots were all over the car. You can not really see it unless you really focus closely on the specks. I do not think it is rust, but the color resembles it because it is orange in color.

Has anyone else experienced this problem, and what kind of an outcome should I expect when I bring it into the dealership? I called the dealership today and spoke to my salesman, he said that they had received other white tc's and none had this problem. My camera would not pick up the tiny but numerous specks, so I am unable to post pictures.

Another note, I did show my salesman the one spot I had noticed on the trunk and he said "you should have gotten the "XZILON" molecular adhesion. I replied "well, it shouldn't be there in the first place". Obviously, his remark doesn't justify the specks. If this is a defect, should I expect a new car or settle with them buffing them out (assuming they can remove the specks). If they buff the entire car, they are actually making my clear coat thinner than it already is. Which means I am more susceptible to oxidization and other things.

*Cliff Notes - My brand new Super White tC has tiny orange specks throughout the car. I am ____en ____ed off.
Old 09-16-2005, 06:26 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

the xzilon is a joke........IMO, anyways it could be fallout from the air, like acid rain, or something.....i would not listen to anything the salesman would have to say. talk to the service manger
Old 09-16-2005, 06:37 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

rail dust? I heard that cars that get transported on trains get iron dust on them because of the train tracks. Most noticable on white cars
Old 09-16-2005, 06:40 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by reagulator
rail dust? I heard that cars that get transported on trains get iron dust on them because of the train tracks. Most noticable on white cars
Possible. I'll mention that tomorrow.
Old 09-16-2005, 07:32 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

had some of those on my car when I picked it up, they came out with a good washing, a nice wax doesn't hurt either but a good wash is all it took for me. I didn't have a whole lot on mine though just a few spots on the rear bumper area
Old 09-16-2005, 11:44 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yeah its rail dust the dealership will be able to remove it from the paint no worries yet , atleast yours had paint on it LOL . On mine the pillar that was next to the hatch had a spot the size of a 50 cent piece that was the color white , and my car is absolutely red
Old 09-16-2005, 01:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i'm sure a clay bar will take that off, no problem
Old 09-16-2005, 03:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Clay bar!
Old 09-16-2005, 04:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

try the clay bar..if it doesnt work then bring it to the dealer
Old 09-16-2005, 05:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: MAJOR paint problem with my tC

Originally Posted by whoisdan
I am going to take my 06 super white tc back to the dealership first thing tomorrow morning. When I picked up the tC on Sept 8, I noticed a tiny speck that resembled a rust mark on my trunk. I tried rubbing it off with car soap and water, but it was very stubborn and would not come off. Didn't think much of it because it was so tiny. However, today, as I was washing my car I noticed that the rust like spots were all over the car. You can not really see it unless you really focus closely on the specks. I do not think it is rust, but the color resembles it because it is orange in color.

Has anyone else experienced this problem, and what kind of an outcome should I expect when I bring it into the dealership? I called the dealership today and spoke to my salesman, he said that they had received other white tc's and none had this problem. My camera would not pick up the tiny but numerous specks, so I am unable to post pictures.

Another note, I did show my salesman the one spot I had noticed on the trunk and he said "you should have gotten the "XZILON" molecular adhesion. I replied "well, it shouldn't be there in the first place". Obviously, his remark doesn't justify the specks. If this is a defect, should I expect a new car or settle with them buffing them out (assuming they can remove the specks). If they buff the entire car, they are actually making my clear coat thinner than it already is. Which means I am more susceptible to oxidization and other things.

*Cliff Notes - My brand new Super White tC has tiny orange specks throughout the car. I am ____en ____ed off.
omg i have those same little rust spots on my tc too, i i'll try the claybar thing and if that don't work i'm gonna take it to the dealership
Old 09-16-2005, 05:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i would just take it to the dealership, why waste your time, it should have been detailed before you got it, and they should have caught that. besides they'll probably give it a nice free wax job
Old 09-16-2005, 05:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Its really hard to remove rail dust on older cars. ive tried to clay it out and even polish out rail dust after it has oxidized. Hopefully since your car is newer it should be easier. I really hope thats the case for you
Old 09-16-2005, 06:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Stealer will fix it. I just hope you don't get some looser tech that does a shlock job.

tsb#PA005-04
IRON PARTICLE RUST CONTAMINATION REPAIR
’94 - current toyota & ’04 - current scion
Old 09-16-2005, 06:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I just came back from the dealership and we've concluded that it's rail dust. They told me to bring it in at 7:00 am on Monday so that they can clay bar the entire car.

I wasn't about to clay the car myself. You know how long it takes.
Old 09-16-2005, 06:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by whoisdan
I just came back from the dealership and we've concluded that it's rail dust. They told me to bring it in at 7:00 am on Monday so that they can clay bar the entire car.

I wasn't about to clay the car myself. You know how long it takes.
Too bad the stealer did not fix it at delivery. They are supposed to look for that as it is a tsb. Too bad you must take it in cus everytime I take mine in I end up with some other problem like scratchs. So far 3 out of 3 times my car was scratched. 1 time they scratched one part replaceing another part they scatched installing the stereo. No more dealers for me.
Old 09-16-2005, 08:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Yeah me too

I have an 2005 Super White... I have small orange specks... pretty sure its rust.
Its small and I just leave it... its a cheap car.

I have the hatch rattle, the stereo door squeak too...

Oh well... fouck it... paint is cheap on these as they chip easy. I'll consider re-painting it in the future when its all gone.
Old 09-17-2005, 01:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: Yeah me too

Originally Posted by RanmaP
I have an 2005 Super White... I have small orange specks... pretty sure its rust.
Its small and I just leave it... its a cheap car.

I have the hatch rattle, the stereo door squeak too...

Oh well... fouck it... paint is cheap on these as they chip easy. I'll consider re-painting it in the future when its all gone.
if the dealer would fix, why not just tell em to?? thas what i'm prolly gonna do cuase my sis's corolla ..... cheap car..... but it don't not have this and still doenst have this organge crap
Old 02-25-2009, 09:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Serious bump I know...but obviously they have yet to fix this.

Mine is horrible.
Wondering if any other Super Whites are getting rust spots all over there side skirts and back bumpers/hatch?????
Old 02-25-2009, 10:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I know first hand that rail dust can be a pita to get off. Sometimes you do get lucky and a nice wool pad, a nice cutting compound and some pressure and it does clean up nicely. We also have a foam type "clay" which does work. Although we have had them where it would not come off and we had to repair/paint.
Old 02-25-2009, 11:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You seriously called the dealer for this?! Dude, Meguiar's clay bar will have the off in 5 minutes. It's industrial fall out and road grime.

Quick Reply: MAJOR paint problem with my tC