Notices
Scion tC 1G Aero & Exterior Aero parts and exterior dress items...

Quick and Dirty H.I.D. FAQ For N00bs

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2007, 07:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

is 12000k violet on every kit, i have the operatic kit
Old 01-15-2008, 07:00 PM
5 Year Member
Exclusive
SL Member

just curious..

if i have a ballast from company (a) and bulbs from company (a)
could i buy different bulbs from company (b) and just plug them into the ballast from company (a) ?
lol

in other words could i just buy new bulbs from other company regardless of which ballast i use or do they have to be the same bulb/ballast from same company
Old 01-17-2008, 10:12 PM
SL Member

Originally Posted by itzminyufoo
just curious..

could i buy different bulbs from company (b) and just plug them into the ballast from company (a) ?
lol

in other words could i just buy new bulbs from other company regardless of which ballast i use or do they have to be the same bulb/ballast from same company
yeah as long as your ballasts use amp connectors, you can buy ANY bulb from ANY company. But buy them in pairs from the same company bc color varies from company to company
Old 01-31-2008, 04:39 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

ha i want some HIDs now too bad they cost so much
Old 02-06-2008, 12:13 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

I have a question:
My friend gave me a HID kit but they are 9007
And the TC is 9006 for the low beans can i still use this??
Old 02-21-2008, 04:05 AM

I have a '08 tC that has projectors with a 12000K HID kit. They seem to come out blueish-white. I am curious what size the bulbs are for stock toyota fog lights? I was going to put an HID Kit in them. Any ideas what colors or temperature I should use since they are not projectors?
Old 02-21-2008, 04:21 AM

10 Year Member

5 Year Member

SoCal tC Club
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scinergy
Scion Evolution

they're 9006
Old 02-21-2008, 03:36 PM

I need to know what color best suits my low beam HIDS. Read my previous message.
Old 02-24-2008, 08:54 AM
SL Member

Originally Posted by SeanJohn
I have a question:
My friend gave me a HID kit but they are 9007
And the TC is 9006 for the low beans can i still use this??
As long as it isnt a bixenon kit then yes you can reuse them. All you'll need are either a 9006 relay harness or if u want to hook the ballasts directly to ur stock harness then ur going to need 9006 power plugs for aftermarket hid kits.
Old 03-21-2008, 09:29 AM

So I just got my 08 tC :D :D

Uh but for my 07 Camry SE I put in 5000K (anything higher will get me pulled over in MI) plug and plays since Camry halogen projectors are pretty dang decent for HID use AS LONG AS you cover the squirrel spotters (holes that allow light above the cutoff to see road signs for weaker halogen lights).

Is that the case with these 08 tC projectors? or will I just blind the crap out of everyone if I get HIDS??
Old 03-22-2008, 02:47 PM
SL Member

Bump
Old 03-30-2008, 06:01 PM
SL Member

Of course you gotta cover the squirrel finders. But baking the headlights and removing the projectors to get to the shield would be the same as putting a real HID projector in there since you're already pulling it apart
Old 03-30-2008, 10:49 PM

what is the best setup for my tc. i am trying to get the most power out of my engine without doing a swap.
Old 04-07-2008, 05:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Revoluscion
SL Member

If you think about swaping out your lights for HID. plan ahead cause one single bulb cost like a bill to replace.
Old 04-07-2008, 05:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Revoluscion
SL Member

ohh i forgot to mention. The bulb comes with a 1 year warranty so try to burn them out quick as you can and always have them on. bought mine from xtralights.com
Old 04-07-2008, 06:59 PM
SL Member

Originally Posted by LiLP
what is the best setup for my tc. i am trying to get the most power out of my engine without doing a swap.
27 years old and still a moron
Old 04-08-2008, 04:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by striker_1818
just curious..

lol

yeah as long as your ballasts use amp connectors, you can buy ANY bulb from ANY company. But buy them in pairs from the same company bc color varies from company to company

ACTUALLY, for aftermarket... its a big no no as some ballast are either upped voltage for start up for their specific bulbs or lower... and the stable running current can also be different....

I am using oem bulbs and ballast.. bulbs are phillips and ballasts are hella..

Hella usually use osram i believe. I got my used ballast and bulbs and theyw ere hella and osram from an audi a6

it's about a year and a half, no problems with phillips and hella. even hidplant sells hella ballasts and phillips bulbs togeter.

so if you got aftermarkets... check the specs as their bulbs are made specifically to work with their ballasts!
Old 04-08-2008, 10:04 PM
SL Member

Originally Posted by raWr215
Originally Posted by striker_1818
just curious..

lol

ACTUALLY, for aftermarket... its a big no no as some ballast are either upped voltage for start up for their specific bulbs or lower... and the stable running current can also be different....

I am using oem bulbs and ballast.. bulbs are phillips and ballasts are hella..

Hella usually use osram i believe. I got my used ballast and bulbs and theyw ere hella and osram from an audi a6

it's about a year and a half, no problems with phillips and hella. even hidplant sells hella ballasts and phillips bulbs togeter.

so if you got aftermarkets... check the specs as their bulbs are made specifically to work with their ballasts!
Nope..
Any ballast will power up any D2S bulb as long as they are d2S.
12V will produce the 35w required for the bulb to ignite.
If you're talking about the 50w aftermarket ballasts, they too use 35w d2s bulbs so expect its lifespan to decrease. Hella is made by philips if you didn't know.
Old 04-10-2008, 12:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

why do u think I have no problems with my HIDs?

I had a friend who had 1 bulb that blew from his kit and when he put in another brand, it flickers as it starts up and it eventually blew as well. He called in the tech and they said their bulbs only supports their ballasts while his first brand said it does not matter.

Don't you wonder sometimes about why Aftermarket bulbs are cheaper? Their bulbs uses different materials. So they make ballasts that would work for their bulb. you should talk to the aftermarket HID companies and see what they hafta say. I defintly would not use a ballast and bulbs that are from a different company without consulting with the company (aftermarkets kits that is). And don't talk to the sales guy if possible, they will straight up lie.

Only reason why i felt that i went to do an HID retro instead of dealing with aftermarket HID kits. Any OEM bulbs would work with any OEM Ballast as long as you can connect them.

Sure you can power up any aftermarket brand with any other ballasts (if this is what you are trying to argue for) But the point i am trying to get across is that it's unsafe, and can cost u money in the long run as the bulb's lifespan can dramatically be reduced. HIDs for OEM cars are meant to last aprox the life time of your car.
Old 04-10-2008, 05:21 PM
SL Member

Originally Posted by raWr215
why do u think I have no problems with my HIDs?

I had a friend who had 1 bulb that blew from his kit and when he put in another brand, it flickers as it starts up and it eventually blew as well. He called in the tech and they said their bulbs only supports their ballasts while his first brand said it does not matter.

Don't you wonder sometimes about why Aftermarket bulbs are cheaper? Their bulbs uses different materials. So they make ballasts that would work for their bulb. you should talk to the aftermarket HID companies and see what they hafta say. I defintly would not use a ballast and bulbs that are from a different company without consulting with the company (aftermarkets kits that is). And don't talk to the sales guy if possible, they will straight up lie.

Only reason why i felt that i went to do an HID retro instead of dealing with aftermarket HID kits. Any OEM bulbs would work with any OEM Ballast as long as you can connect them.

Sure you can power up any aftermarket brand with any other ballasts (if this is what you are trying to argue for) But the point i am trying to get across is that it's unsafe, and can cost u money in the long run as the bulb's lifespan can dramatically be reduced. HIDs for OEM cars are meant to last aprox the life time of your car.
Do you know why they say they only support their brand? Because they want people to think their bulbs are special and once something is bought from them, they have to buy the rest aka bulbs, ballasts, etc. Tech's don't know **** about the products they sell. All bulbs are manufactured with the same specs. If this wasn't true, then Osram(which is cheaper than Philips) should only work with Osram ballasts only. But that isn't the case. The bulb blew because it was a lemon and that happens ALOT on aftermarket stuff

Quick Reply: Quick and Dirty H.I.D. FAQ For N00bs