Notices
Scion tC 1G Aero & Exterior Aero parts and exterior dress items...

scion tc backup lights

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2010, 05:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default scion tc backup lights

ok i bought and extra set of 06 tail lights and tinted them with the nightshade from VHT there pretty dark how i like them but i forgot to mask the backup light portion..my question is does anyone recommend a brighter light to replace the stock ones.........like maybe led or something
Old 01-16-2010, 05:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
teamNJCT
Fresh Crew
SL Member

Nope. They wont work.

Either get a backup camera or those backup beeper craps.
Old 01-16-2010, 06:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yea leds will give you worse lighting for the reverse lights.
Old 01-16-2010, 07:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Premium Member

i ahve LEDs in my reverse and they are much brighter, just make sure you get the right type of LED bulb there is a lot out there and the more LEDs in the bulb doesnt always equal brighter
Old 01-16-2010, 07:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

whats the right type? I was just saying that because i saw a thread where the guy tried LEDs and they were worse.
Old 01-17-2010, 08:01 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i have white leds in my reverse lights, they are alot brighter than the stock ones. i got them from superbrightleds
Old 01-18-2010, 08:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team Hamster
SL Member

It is possible to find something brighter ... do some research on LEDs and find a bulb that uses a high power emitter and fits the intended socket.
I have an LED bicycle headlight that uses a single 900 lumen P7-C-SXO LED. To put it into perspective, 900 lumens is somewhere between a standard halogen automotive low and high beam. ...so its pretty f'ing bright.
Old 01-18-2010, 08:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Could you mask around the reverse light and then use some paint thinner or something to remove that section of tint?
Old 01-18-2010, 08:39 PM

10 Year Member

5 Year Member

SoCal tC Club
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scinergy
Scion Evolution

it might be "brighter"... but no led bulb will utilize a reflector fully..

you'll have a bright.. spot.. or spots... but overall?
won't project more light.

there's a reason why there aren't much for LED headlights.. they look bright.. maybe.. but won't project well unless they're used with really good optics... and you have enough power behind them.
Old 01-19-2010, 04:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

actually yea i was thinking about doing that masking everytihng around the reverse light and using paint thinners just to remove the tint....i think ill look better also with the reverse like not tinted.......gonna try some stuff this weekend and see what works or just get some new bulbs and see if there bright enough for me....you live you learn
Old 01-20-2010, 01:22 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have LED's. Personally i think they look a lot cleaner and a lot brighter. They are definitely more noticeable, which is the point of a reverse light.

Here's a pic (sorry, camera picture):

Name:  Reverselights.jpg
Views: 1481
Size:  16.6 KB

And these are the bulbs i have:

http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-b...s%2F921-x9.htm
Old 01-20-2010, 12:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

thanks man im goona order them tonight and see if they help if not then just gonna have too untint my reverse light..lesson learned heheh
Old 01-20-2010, 03:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

For sure, keep us updated.
Old 01-20-2010, 03:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I also have LED"s in my reverse light and it's really only noticeable when it's dark outside..otherwise during the day it really isn't bright and kind of hard to see..

lol I'm surprised I haven't ____ed anyone off yet but I guess it's noticeable enough during the day?
Old 01-20-2010, 03:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

actually the only reason why im buying led reverse lights is for the night time cause i tinted my whole tail light and cant see at night when backing out other then that..thats it
Old 01-20-2010, 08:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

just ordered the led reverse bulbs that basebllstar mentioned and see how it goes....try that first and see what happens..............ill keep you gies updated
Old 01-26-2010, 09:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

heres and update i bought the led lights that basebllstar recomended to me for the reverse lights....i put them in they were little better then stock but not bright enough to pass through the tint.....so i went to my hardware store and bought a small container of laquer thinner and a microfiber cloth and very carefully i took off the tint off the reverse lense i do have to say it does looks better that way any how in my opion and much better when i backout in the dark i can see now i do have to polish here and there but overall im happy now with the bulb and i took off the tint looks better......im sure you gies know what taillights look like tinted minus the reverse lense
Old 01-27-2010, 01:59 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

LED reverse lights are better IMO.

For those who say "well no LED can truly optimize the factory reflector", this may be partly true. You can buy LED bulbs that have "wide" viewing angles that a standard bulb will give you, this allowing you to use the reflector.

As of right now, I have one halogen and one LED reverse bulb. (long story short, somehow my car swallowed the 2nd LED)But the LED bulb is MUCH brighter and MUCH better.
Old 12-18-2013, 06:45 AM

Originally Posted by SquallLHeart
it might be "brighter"... but no led bulb will utilize a reflector fully..

you'll have a bright.. spot.. or spots... but overall?
won't project more light.

there's a reason why there aren't much for LED headlights.. they look bright.. maybe.. but won't project well unless they're used with really good optics... and you have enough power behind them.

haaaa bit.ch its 2013 and we got that sh.it now what you got to say about that got these MINI PROJECTORS 25W LED and you talkin about some of that back page news shi.t

it looks like this

Name:  6Bp7Fb3.jpg
Views: 51
Size:  34.0 KB

bit.ch
Old 12-18-2013, 03:19 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by bigbootyjuli
haaaa bit.ch its 2013 and we got that sh.it now what you got to say about that got these MINI PROJECTORS 25W LED and you talkin about some of that back page news shi.t

it looks like this

bit.ch
First off, nice loophole for the profanities. I'm sure no one ever thought of that. As much effort as you put into making sure they wouldn't get censured you could have used proper English and still got your point across.

Secondly, if you’re going to post pictures depicting this "new" LED bulb why not copy and paste the URL as well, so we can all enjoy this "new" technology. I've seen the projector LED bulb before but not with the little LEDs on the side to better illuminate the housing. It would have been nice to click a hyperlink and already be looking at them instead of now having to spend time on Google finding it. Yes, it'll take me all of 5 mins max to find the right one but it's the thought and principle that counts lol.

Please change the birthdate on your account, that you made TODAY, to better reflect your actual intelligence level (Hint: it’s lower then the 24 you claim) and let us know when you graduate high school, though it’s not looking very promising for you.

Also, thank you for Necro'ing this thread as I'm sure everyone will be eager to read your profanities and praise you for your find.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

::Edit:: I believe I've found what was depicted above.
Amazon.com: iJDMTOY Extremely Bright 5-piece CREE R4 XP-E High Power 912 921 T10/T15 LED Backup Reverse Light Bulbs, Xenon White: Automotive Amazon.com: iJDMTOY Extremely Bright 5-piece CREE R4 XP-E High Power 912 921 T10/T15 LED Backup Reverse Light Bulbs, Xenon White: Automotive
All joking aside I might actually get a pair of these, they look pretty nice. lol

Last edited by BLIZZWHTPRL1071; 12-18-2013 at 05:47 PM. Reason: Fixed spelling errors. Don't you hate it when that happens! lol

Quick Reply: scion tc backup lights