Notices
Scion tC 1G Aero & Exterior Aero parts and exterior dress items...

Seibon Carbon Fiber Hood - Trivia Question

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2012, 04:36 AM
SL Member

Angry Seibon Carbon Fiber Hood - Trivia Question

Just received my Seibon Carbon Fiber hood today and just got it opened up. My excited was mitigated by the fact there are what appear to be deep scratches and spider cracks under the surface of the clear coat. My trivia question is am I crazy or is this NOT normal? It only appears on the left side of the hood. Any one else have this problem?

Old 04-11-2012, 05:21 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

this is straight from the seibon website

Your product can be shipped to you from your dealer, or directly from SEIBON. We examine and double-pack every item before shipping. However, due to the sizes of most items, handling can be awkward, and sometimes trucking staff do not handle them carefully. We must count on the consignee to examine the product's condition upon receipt. If you notated all damages on the delivery receipt (which you should), then you can file a claim with the trucking company. You can also contact your dealer to obtain supporting documents from us, if required by the trucking company.

so hopefully you inspected the product with the truck driver there and listed the damages before you signed. otherwise you might be a little screwed
Old 04-11-2012, 05:38 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Martyr03
this is straight from the seibon website

Your product can be shipped to you from your dealer, or directly from SEIBON. We examine and double-pack every item before shipping. However, due to the sizes of most items, handling can be awkward, and sometimes trucking staff do not handle them carefully. We must count on the consignee to examine the product's condition upon receipt. If you notated all damages on the delivery receipt (which you should), then you can file a claim with the trucking company. You can also contact your dealer to obtain supporting documents from us, if required by the trucking company.

so hopefully you inspected the product with the truck driver there and listed the damages before you signed. otherwise you might be a little screwed
you can't be expected to open packages in front of the driver. You sign for the box, then go in your house to check out the goodies. I would contact Seibon, send them pics and ask for a new one.
Old 04-11-2012, 05:48 AM
SL Member

It's a great idea in theory, and i Totaly agree fully with inspecting your package first, if the truck drivers would give you the time of day. He came, already had my package at the door, "sign here", and he took off to his truck. I didn't even get to walk outside before papers were shoved in my face. I'm not complaining or accusing seibon or the trucking company, all I was asking if any one else has run into this problem. I will definitely be making some calls tomorrow, there's no doubt about that.
Old 04-11-2012, 08:12 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Depending on the item I will inspect my product before signing anything, I did it with my taillights upon arrival, and made him wait. I paid a good amount of $$$ for a product and should arrive fine, and will make sure it's done so. I there's any issue it'll get noted and can be returned or whatever process has to be done. On one item I was given a paper with info if I had any issue with the item(I was actually away from the house for my coilover arrival and the person who signed got the paper for me from the driver). Best of luck on getting this taken care of.

I recall one person on here got a CF hood for his tC2 I think and arrived damaged, IDK if it was Seibon or another company, but they did send him a replacement after showing proof of cutting his hood into pieces.
Old 04-11-2012, 11:45 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

thats def not normal....when i bought mine, i also made the driver wait while i opened the box to check it out. these hoods are a lot of money so mine better be in perfect condition
Old 04-11-2012, 12:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Im sorry but why would you even think that was normal if you bought it brand new??
Old 04-11-2012, 01:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Did you buy it directly from them or from a vendor? And if you noticed this you should have contacted either one of them before making a thread on the internet.
Old 04-11-2012, 03:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Spicy_McHaggiz
Did you buy it directly from them or from a vendor? And if you noticed this you should have contacted either one of them before making a thread on the internet.
Go back and read his thread.. This guy was just asking if this is normal or not.... No reason to not make a thread about this. He did not say one negative thing about a company OR vendor. He came on looking for direction. I can tell the guy is just looking for advice on how to get this fixed the best way he can. Pretty simple....
Old 04-11-2012, 08:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by torqueTc
Go back and read his thread.. This guy was just asking if this is normal or not.... No reason to not make a thread about this. He did not say one negative thing about a company OR vendor. He came on looking for direction. I can tell the guy is just looking for advice on how to get this fixed the best way he can. Pretty simple....
I did read the thread, maybe you didn't read my post. I asked if he bought it DIRECTLY from them or from a VENDOR. He needs to contact either one of them, and see what they can do. (Likely replace it)

Never did I say he was saying anything negative. And obviously that's not normal. Thanks for playing.
Old 04-11-2012, 10:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I did read the thread, maybe you didn't read my post. I asked if he bought it DIRECTLY from them or from a VENDOR. He needs to contact either one of them, and see what they can do. (Likely replace it)

Never did I say he was saying anything negative. And obviously that's not normal. Thanks for playing.

He already said he was going to be making phone calls to contact whoever sold him the item. Maybe you did not READ that part? Your trying to tell him not to post his problem/images on the net? Why not???????? I guess everyone needs to run things by you first to see if its legit to post... You did not tell him anything that he was not going to do already, and you did not help at all, but try to be thread police.. you=fail, U mad?
Old 04-12-2012, 12:53 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

torque...you didnt know he was the all mighty scion god huh? lol
Old 04-12-2012, 04:13 AM
SL Member

That correct, Im not bashing any company by any means, not by a long shot. I know better then to start blaming parties for something that possibly wasn't there fault. I was upset when i saw it and wanted to know if this happened to any one else and if they got it resolved. For the most part I got my answer, and yes I bought it brand new and i am complete aware that nothing new should ever come like that, I just wanted to make sure I wasn't crazy or the only one. At the time I got it opened it was around 8 or 9pm so Seibon, The Vender (who I won't mention because I don't want it to seem as though I was bashing), and the shipping company was closed. I did tall to Seibon today and they were very very helpful, they did an awesome job pointing me in the right direction of who I need to talk to. I should be getting this issue resolved by Friday time frame and I wanted to say thank you for all those who posted positive feedback on how they knew some one who went through this, as well as the specific protocols they go through when receiving parts. It's the times like these that make you question every package you get here on after. I had to learn my lesson the hard way for the most part but I'm glad I did. No idea when or if i will be getting another hood, so the the last question I have for every one is if all parties point fingers, would a re-application of the clear coat solve the spider cracks or is that physically in the resin of the carbon Fiber material?
Old 04-12-2012, 01:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^^^ dude your doing it the right way. You were wise to come on to the forums, and try to gather answers of something you were unsure of. I _know_ by the way you were handling yourself you were not blaming anyone, OR saying anything negative - which is why your post was a good one. You were looking for guidance.

Next time you need guidance, or help - post away. Thats what these forums are for. Spicy mcdooouche never helps anyone in a positive way, so just make sure whatever you do - ignore him, everyone else does.

Posts like yours MAY help people that ship a hood to another person, so they could see what the potential damage could be on something, even if they think they have it packaged up properly. Plus, someone who did not know what they should do (even though it is pretty simple) can read this and get direction. Report back what happens, I am sure you can get it worked out between both parties. You seem like a calm, reasonable person.
-tQ
Old 04-12-2012, 02:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Also, to ask - did you have the package insured? That might be a good place to start. As far as fixing it, I'd say take it to a pro body shop that works with tuner cars if possible. Somethings like that *could* be fixable, its not like its split down the middle or something. If you can get the insurance on it, it might help you get another new hood.
Old 04-12-2012, 03:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I think if you wet sand the hood down just enough to where the cracks are at and just shoot on a couple of layers of new clear then it should look like new. But if you could get a new one get the new one.

Ps. It might cost like $100 depending where you go to re clear the hood.
Old 04-13-2012, 02:04 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by tito07tc
I think if you wet sand the hood down just enough to where the cracks are at and just shoot on a couple of layers of new clear then it should look like new. But if you could get a new one get the new one.

Ps. It might cost like $100 depending where you go to re clear the hood.
If it's past the "sacrificial" layer of resin/matrix then it won't be worth it. And that's if it's more then 2-3 plys thick. The "clear coat" on a CF hood isn't actually a clear coat, it's the resin/matrix system you see. (unless the owner or company specifies they added a clear coat) Also if you were to just sand those spots, you'll create horrible low spots.

Torque, I'm sorry I don't buy into the hellagay stance crap these scion owners nut hug over. I'm also sorry that those idiots on the forum, much like you, neglect to read through the forum and see the information I have posted. I also apologize this site/scene is dead. U mad bro
Old 04-13-2012, 02:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If it's past the "sacrificial" layer of resin/matrix then it won't be worth it. And that's if it's more then 2-3 plys thick. The "clear coat" on a CF hood isn't actually a clear coat, it's the resin/matrix system you see. (unless the owner or company specifies they added a clear coat) Also if you were to just sand those spots, you'll create horrible low spots.

Torque, I'm sorry I don't buy into the hellagay stance crap these scion owners nut hug over. I'm also sorry that those idiots on the forum, much like you, neglect to read through the forum and see the information I have posted. I also apologize this site/scene is dead. U mad bro
If you cant stand everyone, then why are you here? Just leave loser.

Name:  tumblr_lra58aH9lz1qhzf54.gif
Views: 23
Size:  274.2 KB

Last edited by torqueTc; 04-13-2012 at 03:10 PM.
Old 04-16-2012, 06:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by torqueTc
If you cant stand everyone, then why are you here? Just l

^ that's funny lol