Notices
Scion tC 1G Aero & Exterior Aero parts and exterior dress items...

smoked tail lights! without VHT...

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2006, 05:00 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default smoked tail lights! without VHT...

ive been wanting to smoke my tail lights for a while now but couldnt make a decision whether to paint them with VHT nightshades or tint them with some overlays. i almost painted them but i couldnt find the VHT nightshades anywhere and i didnt want to wait if i ordered them online. then a friend of mine reminded me of a company we saw at the LA autoshow that specialized in clear bras and overlays called "stickercity" i looked them up online and they were a 10 min drive away from where i live. for $50.00 i got the 2 overlays for the tail lights that were pre cut. they also gave me some extra strips for the side view mirror turn signals. overall i am very happy with how they came out and if i get a ticket i can easily remove them....

Old 04-25-2006, 05:42 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
AlphaSquad
SL Member

let us know when you get that ticket. lol. lookin good tho.
Old 04-25-2006, 06:09 AM
5 Year Member

Good to hear they're fairly cheap. I like the idea of not permanently modifying the tails. Besides, if you screw up your adhesive overlays, you're screwed, whereas here you can't mess up the install.
Old 04-25-2006, 06:20 AM
j10
5 Year Member

i actually helped julez put them on... its easier than painting them, alot easier! you can mess up and just pull the overlays off and realign them. you do however have to cut the excess off but they are made that way so you can pull and stretch it.
Old 04-25-2006, 07:21 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
AlphaSquad
SL Member

Originally Posted by zak010678
Good to hear they're fairly cheap. I like the idea of not permanently modifying the tails. Besides, if you screw up your adhesive overlays, you're screwed, whereas here you can't mess up the install.
i dont get what youre saying here. are you trying to say if you mess up the spray, youre screwed. but with overlays you still have a second chance??
Old 04-25-2006, 07:44 AM
j10
5 Year Member

paint is hard to remove and if you spray the tailights uneven youre going to have a big problem... with overlays, you have to wet the adhisive side so you can move the film around to get it aligned with the tailights, you can even peel it off as long as its not completly dry just gotta make sure to re-wet the adhisive and get rid of all the bubbles... its like window tint
Old 04-25-2006, 12:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

well the overlays I have tried you couldnt reuse them...once you screwed up you were done. I tried overlays and they didnt work more for me. Plus I dont like the idea of someone walking up and if they feel like it....ripping it off. I did mine with VHT and they were SUPER easy.

Ive heard of stickercity before.....julez your tails look good.
Old 04-25-2006, 02:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

loooks nice. i like how u left the white part on ur trunk
Old 04-25-2006, 03:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

waiting on the ticket...
Old 04-25-2006, 04:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by DTRUONG_112
waiting on the ticket...
I know, those things are black as night.

they look cool though.
Old 04-25-2006, 05:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I just got my overlays done as well at stickercity and i must admit, they are DARK!
I had them also do my 3rd brake light as well. Today on the way to work there was a motorcyle cop on the side of me so i rolled down the windows because of the tint and then he got behind me and i thought for sure i was going to get a ticket but NOPE. He followed me for a while but then just made a left on a street and i took off before he had a change of heart..lol
Old 04-25-2006, 05:32 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

how visible are the lights at night? Since they're so dark it looks like very little light would actually project through them at night. I am really interested in this but I dont want to have extremely dim lights.
Old 04-25-2006, 05:35 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Does this place have a website or something where I can order it online?
Old 04-25-2006, 05:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

http://www.stickercity.com/store/home.php

the lights are bright enough to see, plus if u dont want the dark tint, they have a smoked lighter version as well.

i actually found them on ebay so u might wanna check there as well. the auctions for the tails seem to be about 5-10.00 cheaper on ebay then if u order through the website.
Old 04-25-2006, 06:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by j10
i actually helped julez put them on... its easier than painting them, alot easier! you can mess up and just pull the overlays off and realign them. you do however have to cut the excess off but they are made that way so you can pull and stretch it.
How well do they fit the curves of the tC's tails? Was there a lot of heat/stretching involved?
Old 04-25-2006, 06:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Can you even see the lights through them? You'll probably get rear-ended before you get a ticket. You may as well have used some black spray paint.
Old 04-25-2006, 06:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by mattvs
Can you even see the lights through them? You'll probably get rear-ended before you get a ticket. You may as well have used some black spray paint.
yea u can still see the lights shine through at night. During the day it looks like a rich cherry red color.
Funny that you should mention the black spray paint. I actually saw a honda accord where i used to work that did that on the tails. It looked NASTY and GHETTO. It was obvious that they had spray painted the tails..lol
Old 04-25-2006, 09:05 PM
j10
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by ack154
Originally Posted by j10
How well do they fit the curves of the tC's tails? Was there a lot of heat/stretching involved?
they fit the curves perfectly but some cutting is needed to be done cause the film will fold at the ends (excess). not alot of heating done but stretching yes... just to get it right. 2 people should do the job, one stretches while the other pushes the water out once everything is in place you can use a blowdryer in very low heat while pushing the water out
Old 04-25-2006, 09:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

that just looks retarded
Old 04-25-2006, 09:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

any far away pics?

Quick Reply: smoked tail lights! without VHT...