Notices
Scion tC 1G Aero & Exterior Aero parts and exterior dress items...

So my roof EXPLODED today!

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2005, 02:40 AM
5 Year Member

Hi

I've got over 12,000 on my tC already and its doing fine. I don't hear unusual creaks or other noise from the car body. The only strange noises I get come from my radio (when I change stations using the preset buttons I often hear a POP-ing sound from the passenger side speaker).

Was your roof tinted? When I got my windows tinted, the company I went to refused to tint the roof. They told me that since the roof presents a flat surface to the sun, the heat would get trapped between the glass and the tint and that the glass could shatter. It sounded like BS to me but it gave me a reason not to pay an additional $30 for the roof.
Old 02-14-2005, 03:20 AM
5 Year Member

What's up everyone? Here is what the techs think happened to my roof. My roof was making weird noises every time the unibody flexed in a certain way, like going over speed bumps and entrances to shopping centers because my roof was not seated properly. I took it in like I said at about 7000 miles and they said they tightened the roof bolts a little. It seemed fine for a while and then it started making noise again. For everyone that doesn't know what I'm talking about the roof would clunk, thunk, or make some weird noise. Eventually, (unrelated to the bolts they tightened), a rivet or bolt of some kind that held the sunroof track in snapped and lodged in the track. When I went to shut the roof it never fully sealed causing a lot of pressure both on the track and glass when I would be driving down the road. About Tuesday I began hearing a whistling noise while driving that I chalked up to being part of the thunking problem. It turns out that is when the roof began to not shut. Less than 48 hours the roof gave way. When the glass shattered the track somehow broke futher and now it needs to be replaced. The roof was not tinted and nothing hit my glass, due to the fact that the glass was 98% fully shut the rock would have had to go straight up and down, and be very unlikely. Not impossible, but unlikely.

I was able to get a rental car since the dealer wont even get the track until at least Tuesday. Hertz (who my dealer is partners with) was going to give me a Corolla. He offered me a bunch of upgrades and some optional insurance stuff and told me that would be my responsibilty. I know all that is standard but I asked why my $24000 was being turned into a $14000 car and why would I spend a bunch of extra money for upgrades when the dealer was paying for it. I'm not sure if he gets paid per car he rents but he gave me a free upgrade to a 2005 Solara SE V6, so who knows.

As soon as I can I am going to get the front strut bar and rear sway bar. I don’t know if it will help but one of the major locations that the roof makes noise is at the main entrance to my work, so to lower the flexing going over that bump I'll try it. Besides I was going to make it a kind of TRD/Hotchkis ***** anyway. I got the extended warranty because I drive all the time. The 3/36000 would be expired after a year and like 5 months at this rate. At least my car will have some kind of warranty for like 4 years before I hit 75000 miles. So, all in all I guess mine was a fluke, just be careful with your roof, if it makes noise get it looked at. I was lucky to be wearing a jacket and sunglasses otherwise things might have been different when the glass fell through. Got to run. Take care everyone. I hope I didn't freak out everyone too much.
Old 02-14-2005, 04:26 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

And I thought *I* was unlucky... I caught a low-flying rock on my sunroof and have a little scratch from it, but it held.

By any chance were you going under an overpass? Kids have been known to drop rocks and bricks and stuff on cars before...
Old 02-14-2005, 01:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

for some reason i dont believe that guy, I want to see some pics!!
Old 02-14-2005, 01:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Chimmy3
i've heard this a few times now... is the sunroof made of tempered glass? i believe there was a thread a while back about a chip in tempered glass and how it might just blow up...

https://www.scionlife.com/forums/vie...empered#487791

hmm this makes me think i shouldnt get a tC at all
Yea ever since I read that first thread on this months ago I get nervous driving down the highway with my sunroof open.. but.. *big knock on wood here* no problems yet, I've cruised around going 70 or more, and, not so much as a peep from my sunroof. I'm sure there are just "bad batches" so to speak, on new cars.. just like how the paint's messed up on mine, it seems to be okay on others. These problems seem to come in waves- most likely has something to do with production batches because it isn't a problem everyone's having. This is a very unforunate and scary thing to have happen to you so I wish you the best of luck in getting it repaired!
Old 02-14-2005, 05:05 PM
5 Year Member

Are the majority of the sunroof pops coming from 2004 or 2005 models? Or is it a mix?
Old 02-14-2005, 05:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

my roof poped ever since i got the car from the unibody flexing. Turns out it was 2 screws that needed to be tightened on the sunroof. I just looked at the screws yesterday and noticed that they almost completely rounded out the screws so if something ever goes wrong they might blame ME for taking it apon myself to try and fix thing and messing up the screw head. Also Ive been getting a wind noise at high speeds or when it is really windy outside, it all depends. Ive been able to recreate it with the Service manager in my car with me but when i leave it with them they claim that its not making any noise and that they cant drive the car past 70mph to try and recreate the noise. So maybe one of these days my roof will shatter and I can bring it to them and hopefully get things fixed
Old 02-14-2005, 06:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

so does anyone know what plant these tC's, that are having moonroof problems, are coming out of? Or do they all come from NJ?
Old 02-14-2005, 07:09 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

The car is made in Japan... Not sure about individual parts
Old 02-14-2005, 08:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

did you get it tinted, by any chance? my tint dude said that no one should tint it because the way tint works and stuff.. the glass sunroof could shatter. not sure the specifics or science behind it, but that's what he said.
Old 02-14-2005, 09:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

1st... I'm not sure why you would even want to tint the sunroof... it is already tinted.

2nd... sorry to hear about your roof!

3rd... driving fast with it open is not that big of a deal, but watch for birds... yes, I said birds! On my last car I was driving about 60 and a bird of some kind flew out of a ditch and right across my hood... I guess the path of the wind over the car pushed it up, and it hit the back edge of my sunroof where it sticks up when open. Did not break the glass, but destroyed the mechanism!! Cost $1700 to fix because the whole thing came as one peice! Talk about bad luck!!!

I hope you get it all worked out!
Old 02-14-2005, 09:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

1st... I'm not sure why you would even want to tint the sunroof... it is already tinted.

2nd... sorry to hear about your roof!

3rd... driving fast with it open is not that big of a deal, but watch for birds... yes, I said birds! On my last car I was driving about 60 and a bird of some kind flew out of a ditch and right across my hood... I guess the path of the wind over the car pushed it up, and it hit the back edge of my sunroof where it sticks up when open. Did not break the glass, but destroyed the mechanism!! Cost $1700 to fix because the whole thing came as one peice! Talk about bad luck!!!

I hope you get it all worked out!
Old 02-14-2005, 10:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by IndigoDreams
Also Ive been getting a wind noise at high speeds or when it is really windy outside, it all depends. Ive been able to recreate it with the Service manager in my car with me but when i leave it with them they claim that its not making any noise and that they cant drive the car past 70mph to try and recreate the noise. So maybe one of these days my roof will shatter and I can bring it to them and hopefully get things fixed
Yes, when it's really windy, you'll hear wind noise. Your car is not aerodynamic in all directions.

The dealer can't do something illegal (speeding) to test your car. If your roof shattered when you were doing over 70, your warranty wouldn't cover it anyway. Neither would your insurance.
Old 02-14-2005, 10:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team N.V.S.

thats crazy! im sorry to hear. hopefully they get it right this second time around or its a long road ahead...
Old 02-15-2005, 04:18 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The dealer can't do something illegal (speeding) to test your car. If your roof shattered when you were doing over 70, your warranty wouldn't cover it anyway. Neither would your insurance.
in some places like mich, the speed limit is 75 mph... so they'd be well within the law to go that speed. there may even be a place with 85... and really how would they know?

And I thought *I* was unlucky... I caught a low-flying rock on my sunroof and have a little scratch from it, but it held.

By any chance were you going under an overpass? Kids have been known to drop rocks and bricks and stuff on cars before...
yeah that happened around here before... recently they killed this lady... rock flew through the widshield (it was quite big) and killed her...

stupid freaking kids... If I catch kids on an overpass doing that I'd kick their ___
Old 02-15-2005, 05:31 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

makes me kinda nervous for if it ever hails outside....
Old 02-15-2005, 06:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

in some places like mich, the speed limit is 75 mph... so they'd be well within the law to go that speed. there may even be a place with 85... and really how would they know?
That's great. Dude can go see a dealer on one of those highways in Michigan then (long drive from Louisiana though).

A legitimate business will refuse to break the law for a customer, whether "they" would know or not. And if there's a cop around with his radar on, "they" would most certainly know.
Old 02-15-2005, 08:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

funny that they arent allowed to go over 70MPH yet the sales person took me out in an auto tc and took it up to 95mph with no problem but when i decided to go that fast he told me to slow down. Oh and they would never know if I was going 40 or 120 if my sunroof broke I would just pick up the phone and say i was driving home from such and such and the sunroof just shattered/blew up. Oh and this isnt typical WIND noise that i hear it is a LOUD very high pitch wistle that use to be constant but now it comes and goes depending on wind speeds and speeds of my car. Ive been in other tc's and never ONCE heard this noise. The dealership knows there is a problem they just cant pinpoint it because they cant reproduce the sound and told me to come back with the car once agian when i can produce the noise almost consistantly.
Old 02-15-2005, 10:49 PM
Bam
5 Year Member

I don't get why getting a rental was such a problem?

Part of the TC's 3 year bumper 2 bumper warranty includes "transportation assistance" which means if the dealership needs to keep your car for more then one day to compelte repairs, they have to give you a rental.

Unless you have over 36,000 miles, they should have given you a rental no questions asked.
Old 02-16-2005, 11:36 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by mrtc
That's great. Dude can go see a dealer on one of those highways in Michigan then (long drive from Louisiana though).

A legitimate business will refuse to break the law for a customer, whether "they" would know or not. And if there's a cop around with his radar on, "they" would most certainly know.
I wasn't talking about the dealer test driving. Actually it wouldn't make sense anyhow, even if a dealer took it up to 100 and it doesn;t pop that time, it doesn't mean it won't happen later, or that the stress didn't have an adverse effect.

my point actually was in some places you can go that fast and not break the law, then 75 mph (and up) is a legitmate speed that the car should be able to drive at without problems. Therefore there's no reason the warrenty shouldnt cover the defect, b/c that IS a defect.
Unless they clearly issue a warning saying... the sunroof is unable to handle stress at high speeds and not to use it at speeds exceeding X.

and yes cops would know.. what the heck does that have to do with trying to get your sunroof warrentied (unless you get caught JUST as your sunroof gives out). And insurance would cover it, it doesn;t matter what bone head thing you were doing... thats the whole point of insurance... you just better have comprehensive or collision or whichever section they cover it under in your state. Unless i willfully destroyed the vehicle to get replacements (in that case its fraud), insurance exists to cover driver stupidity (which is why your premiums go up when you get caught speeding etc).

The only reason why they would say no to fixing it under warrenty is if they claim that glass isn't covered (cuz technically it isnt covered under warrenty). so if you dealer is a real $%#@ about it, you might have problems.

Quick Reply: So my roof EXPLODED today!