Notices
Scion tC 1G Aero & Exterior Aero parts and exterior dress items...

So what's the best under body LED kit to buy for tC's (ease of mounting)

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2010, 05:04 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default So what's the best under body LED kit to buy for tC's (ease of mounting)

Only blue is illegal in my state, so I'm going to get purple, which should go nice with my navy blue tC.

I've been researching around but thought I'd poll the forums since there aren't any websites that offer reviews of these items.

If possible I'd like to have the lights wired to one of the switch areas to the left of the steering wheel.

Thoughts?
Old 06-22-2010, 06:19 AM
SL Member

none would be best. bleh
Old 06-22-2010, 06:21 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

where are you located at? i got a led underbody kit 7 color, heavy duty stuff
Old 06-22-2010, 07:01 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I wouldnt recommend LED Glow / LED Underbody. I had their 7 color kit on my car and the blue and green lights died in sections eventually leaving only the red to work. They did replace the tubes for me at no cost but I'm still a bit gun shy. I still have yet to get the new tubes installed...
Old 06-22-2010, 07:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Don't do LED, it looks like garbage. If you have to do street neon, do... neon. Cold cathode bars look leagues better.
Old 06-22-2010, 02:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

IMO led's have come a long way in the last few years and they look much better as underglow then they used to. The lighting is more fluid and not as "spotty", and they are more durable. Here is a pic of my setup (single color from oznium) that I use for shows. I've only broken the front tube and that was during a clutch/flywheel install the tube swung down off the lift and cracked .

Name:  DSC_0068.jpg
Views: 49
Size:  115.5 KB
Old 06-22-2010, 03:36 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by cavalierkid888
IMO led's have come a long way in the last few years and they look much better as underglow then they used to. The lighting is more fluid and not as "spotty", and they are more durable. Here is a pic of my setup (single color from oznium) that I use for shows. I've only broken the front tube and that was during a clutch/flywheel install the tube swung down off the lift and cracked .
They do look pretty good, and seem like they'd be more reliable, but
1). possessing any device capable of emitting blue light in the state of GA is illegal, so I'd get just purple ones, and
2). I don't like how the light just _stops_ at the end of the tube. Is this what Biscuits is referring to regarding how neon lights look better?
Old 06-22-2010, 03:38 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by SergeantBiscuits
Don't do LED, it looks like garbage. If you have to do street neon, do... neon. Cold cathode bars look leagues better.
can you explain this? IE, what makes you say this?
Old 06-22-2010, 03:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm not into the whole underglow thing..but for any lighting needs like that I highly recommend oznium.com
Old 06-22-2010, 04:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by rancur3p1c
They do look pretty good, and seem like they'd be more reliable, but
1). possessing any device capable of emitting blue light in the state of GA is illegal, so I'd get just purple ones, and
2). I don't like how the light just _stops_ at the end of the tube. Is this what Biscuits is referring to regarding how neon lights look better?
I don't see how possessing a device that is capable of emitting blue light can possibly be illegal. They make safety flashlights that emit red and blue light, they are in no way illegal.

The thing is underglow is dumb for driving on the streets. The only time I ever turn mine on is for car shows, which I believe is the intended purpose. So if this is what you plan on doing get whatever color you desire.

As for the light stopping, I'm not sure exactly what you mean. The cutoff maybe? The light does have a bit of a cutoff on mine due to how tucked under the car I have them. The cutoff is due to the edge of the sideskirts/lips. Though you're going to have that cut-off regardless of what type you go with (led,neon,cathode) if you tuck them up, so they don't break if you have a very low vehicle.

Trust me in person the led bars that oznium sells look just like neon or cathode bars as long as you have them aimed properly.
Old 06-22-2010, 06:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Oznium.

Here's how to install:
http://www.oznium.com/articles/15
Old 06-22-2010, 07:59 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by cavalierkid888
I don't see how possessing a device that is capable of emitting blue light can possibly be illegal. They make safety flashlights that emit red and blue light, they are in no way illegal.

The thing is underglow is dumb for driving on the streets. The only time I ever turn mine on is for car shows, which I believe is the intended purpose. So if this is what you plan on doing get whatever color you desire.

As for the light stopping, I'm not sure exactly what you mean. The cutoff maybe? The light does have a bit of a cutoff on mine due to how tucked under the car I have them. The cutoff is due to the edge of the sideskirts/lips. Though you're going to have that cut-off regardless of what type you go with (led,neon,cathode) if you tuck them up, so they don't break if you have a very low vehicle.

Trust me in person the led bars that oznium sells look just like neon or cathode bars as long as you have them aimed properly.
§ 40-8-90. Restrictions on use of blue lights on vehicles

(a)(1) Except as provided in this paragraph and subsection (b) of this Code section, it shall be unlawful for any person, firm, or corporation to operate any motor vehicle equipped with or containing a device capable of producing any blue lights, whether flashing, blinking, revolving, or stationary, except:
--

I would drive with it, for the effect
You misunderstand me when I talk about cut-off. I mean that the bars they sell you are 48" long, and you can clearly tell they need to be about 65" long, or I need to mount them closer to the middle of the car and angle them more (so they have room to spread). Otherwise it just looks like a rectangle of light that is about a foot and a half short-- doesn't extend to from wheel to wheel down the side of the car.
Old 06-22-2010, 08:15 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

That is just a matter of how long the led strips are. For a "wheel-to-wheel" kit, all I have seen is custom. Get the 4' and 6' led strips from Oznium and it should suit you will
Old 06-22-2010, 08:28 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Sefi
I wouldnt recommend LED Glow / LED Underbody. I had their 7 color kit on my car and the blue and green lights died in sections eventually leaving only the red to work. They did replace the tubes for me at no cost but I'm still a bit gun shy. I still have yet to get the new tubes installed...
i've had their orange kit under and interior on my car for 3 years through 3 winters and not once had an issue w/ it
Old 06-22-2010, 08:37 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Young-Gun
That is just a matter of how long the led strips are. For a "wheel-to-wheel" kit, all I have seen is custom. Get the 4' and 6' led strips from Oznium and it should suit you will
oh, I have not seen the 4 and 6 foot ones, I thought I scoured that site.
Old 06-22-2010, 08:55 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by rancur3p1c
oh, I have not seen the 4 and 6 foot ones, I thought I scoured that site.
yeah could you give me the link for these?
Old 06-22-2010, 11:50 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

http://www.oznium.com/led-flex-strips 38" and 6'

My mistake, I could have sworn it was 4' but 38" is close enough. I have One of those strips for my front end and it lights up the ground nicely.
Old 06-23-2010, 01:56 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

oznium is the best and durable... i have the led bars
Old 06-23-2010, 03:31 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Young-Gun
http://www.oznium.com/led-flex-strips 38" and 6'

My mistake, I could have sworn it was 4' but 38" is close enough. I have One of those strips for my front end and it lights up the ground nicely.
awesome, 6' ought to do great. 7.5' from wheel to wheel, so that leaves 8" front/back of un-illuminated ground, which should be fine.

Last edited by rancur3p1c; 06-23-2010 at 03:37 AM.
Old 06-23-2010, 04:26 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

mounting isnt the problem with any kit the time to plumb the wiring is what takes the time

Quick Reply: So what's the best under body LED kit to buy for tC's (ease of mounting)