Notices
Scion tC 1G Aero & Exterior Aero parts and exterior dress items...

sun roof deflector gone

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2007, 07:55 PM

Default sun roof deflector gone

hey my sun roof deflector shader on me and i just found out that there was a recall for that. i never receved a letter and now my car had 40k on it what can i do get it fix with out me paying for it
Old 08-05-2007, 08:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: sun roof deflector gone

Originally Posted by jrmurillo
hey my sun roof deflector shader on me and i just found out that there was a recall for that. i never receved a letter and now my car had 40k on it what can i do get it fix with out me paying for it
Take it to the dealer.
Old 08-05-2007, 08:14 PM

are they still goint to fix it with my cluster reading 40K
Old 08-05-2007, 08:16 PM

10 Year Member

5 Year Member

SoCal tC Club
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scinergy
Scion Evolution

depends
Old 08-05-2007, 08:19 PM

on what
Old 08-05-2007, 08:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

won't hurt to ask. Try to be polite with them, tell them your the sole owner, never recieve or heard of the recall for it and didnt know. Ask if they will still fix it and if they charge you see if they will give you a discount on it possibly. If they are going to charge you, ask them for the price. TRDSparks is usually cheaper and for some reason they have a different price for the front glass for all three years. You will have to call them and ask why.

05: $456
http://www.trademotion.com/partlocat...=1&catalogid=2

06: $232

07: $265

So yeah call trdsparks to find out why the prices are different if the dealership wont do it for free. Hope they will though.
Old 08-05-2007, 10:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

They wont fix the deflector because the recall was not to do anything to keep it from breaking. It was to keep the peices from falling into your face if it DID break. So if something hit it while driving and it broke, toyota would not fix it, recall or not.

The recall simply placed a peice of vinyl on the bottom of the deflector. So it it were broken, the pieces would stay together rather than blowing into your face.
Old 08-05-2007, 10:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hmm so it was just a vinyl overlay? They didnt actually replace it? Cool. Well I gave him links to where to find it at Hope it goes well for him.
Old 08-05-2007, 10:58 PM

so then if i replace out of my own pocket then what do i do to keep it from having peices to falling into my face on the new piece of glass
Old 08-05-2007, 11:04 PM

10 Year Member

5 Year Member

SoCal tC Club
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scinergy
Scion Evolution

new piece of glass should have the laminate on it already.
Old 08-05-2007, 11:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The new glass would already have the laminate on it. They fixed the problem with the 07+ I believe. Or it may have been 06+ Either way they come fixed from the factory now, so I don't see any reason why you can't get like that 07 one and it should be good to go. It's still going to shatter when hit with a rock, but it should keep all the pieces together, kinda like the windshield if it were to break.
Old 08-05-2007, 11:07 PM

these s/b the cheapes glass i found is like 250
Old 08-06-2007, 12:09 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If they dont fix it then call Scion corporate and demand it fixed. Itl work trust me. I did that when my seatbelt didn't lock.
Old 08-06-2007, 02:37 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

But why should they fix it? Unless the car was just sitting there, with no one around, and it exploded, then there is a high probability something hit it and broke it. That is what insurance is for (if you have unlimited glass coverage). That isnt toyotas fault.
Old 08-06-2007, 05:11 AM

well if they know its breaks they should swamp it out with something thats not glass but looks like it. cause what this means that i will replace it and two years down the road its going to break again
Old 08-06-2007, 02:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

So they should replace all your windows with steel sheets? They break when something hits them hard enough. What about the paint? It scratches, so maybe they should just clear coat the bare metal. Tires puncture too, so I guess they should make them out of solid rubber. As a matter of fact, everything on a car is breakable, so we shouldnt have them at all.

Granted, a different material for the deflector would have been nice, but would have looked different from the rest of the roof.

Dont know where you got two years down the road.. I drive with my sunroof full open 90% of the time in the summer and mine is great nearly 3 years after buying it. The number of people with shattered deflectors is very low in relation to those with no issue. Toyota cant help a rock or other object hitting the glass and breaking it.. that doesnt even make sense. Only if it just randomly broke on its own should they be liable.

If toyota decided that the glass deflector was a bad idea, then they would change it and it would be a recall item (if deemed necesarry on older models). But they should not have to pay to fix the one you have otherwise.
Old 08-06-2007, 06:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
AlphaSquad
SL Member

all i gotta say is that there's nothing wrong with just asking toyota if you qualify for the recall
Old 08-06-2007, 07:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by pudgy1
all i gotta say is that there's nothing wrong with just asking toyota if you qualify for the recall
Are you reading the thread?

They wont fix the deflector because the recall was not to do anything to keep it from breaking. It was to keep the peices from falling into your face if it DID break. So if something hit it while driving and it broke, toyota would not fix it, recall or not.

The recall simply placed a peice of vinyl on the bottom of the deflector. So it it were broken, the pieces would stay together rather than blowing into your face.
Again, if they determined it broke "out of nowhere" they would replace it under WARRANTY. If not (which is most likely the case) he will have to replace it out of pocket or through insurance. In either case the recall is of no use, the new glass will already have the laminate on it.
Old 08-06-2007, 07:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Club One
SL Member

Originally Posted by engifineer
Tires puncture too, so I guess they should make them out of solid rubber.
Hopefully this will soon be a thing of the past. Check it out: HowStuffWorks
Old 08-06-2007, 07:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

ehhh.. I have seen that before, but am skeptical of how well they will go over. So basically all wheels will have to look like however these do ,and will depend on the number/type of spokes needed to get the characteristics you want. I have a hard time believing they will be any better (or as good even) working in extreme heat variations (-20 to 100F here in mn for example) than our current tires. And when you want a different type of tire, or a new one.. you are now buying the whole rim, which will be hard to get down as cheap as todays tires. Not to mention they are ugly as all get out

I think they may be on to something, but being skeptical as I am by looking at all the variables, I have my doubts about them taking over any time soon.

Quick Reply: sun roof deflector gone